The Tokyo 2020/1 Olympics Thread *spoilers* (not the road race cycling)

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Zola Budd's situation was specifically result of SA being excluded from international sporting competition.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    To add, if Kenya have 10 of the best 100 marathon runners in the world (made up numbers), I would rather they had lots of marathon spots so those athletes could compete for Kenya.

If that means dropping sports like men’s football, any golf or tennis to keep athlete numbers down, I’m all for it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    This makes no sense.

Hundreds of non us athletes train in the US and a lot of them live there, for example.

What then constitutes home?

Why make it so difficult. The rules are fairly clear and no one apart from nativists object to them
  • rick_chasey
    Btw I had to look up who zola budd was. She competed 35 years ago ffs
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Slovenia are the real "punching above their weight" country.
  • This makes no sense.

Hundreds of non us athletes train in the US and a lot of them live there, for example.

Why make it so difficult. The rules are fairly clear and no one apart from nativists object to them

My issue is that it is predominantly rich countries gaming the system at the expense of poorer ones.

You are also taking places off people who have dedicated several years to getting to the olympics

It if we want to up our medal count then converting people to Brits is probably the most cost effective way.
  • First.Aspect

Just goes to show that it isn't all that common.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Remember Zola Budd?

Sky Brown is a far more recent example
    British father so as British as Brad, or Chris, or....
    Wiggins grew up in Kilburn
    Froome is Kenyan
    Has Sky Brown ever set foot in the UK?
  • First.Aspect
    Always makes me feel like the people who want to have this debate somehow have an undefined "British enough" litmus test that they apply.

Personally, to avoid unintended consequences of determining how British someone is by feel, or the how much are you like me test, I would be in favour or a set of objective rules accepted across the world.

Oh, wait...
  • rick_chasey
    What is a much more pressing issue was the coverage which was the worst I’ve seen since I can remember following it properly which is Greece 2004.

I get the licensing issues screwed the bbc but beyond that what they did have they made a pig’s ear out of. Far too much talking about the sport over showing it.

Some of it can be explained away with the hosts not being there - hard to add colour when you’re not in the thick of it. But then why bother? Stick to the sport and the commentators who are there!
  • rick_chasey

This makes no sense.

My issue is that it is predominantly rich countries gaming the system at the expense of poorer ones.

You are also taking places off people who have dedicated several years to getting to the olympics

It if we want to up our medal count then converting people to Brits is probably the most cost effective way.
    Rich countries attract athletes.

That’s an advantage of being rich.

What are you aiming for if you don’t want rich countries to have advantages?

I sort of don’t understand where you are coming from.

As for athletes who train and lose out. I thought the Olympics for you were about the pinnacle of sport, not some charity event
  • morstar

This makes no sense.

I think it’s an interesting topic and as I said, even the Eurosport commentators were discussing it.

I agree it’s nuanced which is why Zola Budd is a useful example. Her case was clear cut 100% flag of convenience and doesn’t lead us down the road of dissecting the specific living/training regime of an individual current athlete.

I have already set out that I personally don’t care for the medals table. I hardly thinks it’s unreasonable to want athletes who are the best in the world to compete for the country that they want to. In some cases they don’t in order to get to the olympics. Nothing to do with nativism.

As SC says, this distorts entry criteria in their adopted country. Fine if they have truly adopted that nation as their home state but not so fine if only done for their own personal Olympic ambition.
  • kingstongraham

What is a much more pressing issue was the coverage which was the worst I’ve seen since I can remember following it properly which is Greece 2004.

I get the licensing issues screwed the bbc but beyond that what they did have they made a pig’s ear out of. Far too much talking about the sport over showing it.

Some of it can be explained away with the hosts not being there - hard to add colour when you’re not in the thick of it. But then why bother? Stick to the sport and the commentators who are there!

Their 7:30pm till 9pm programme on BBC1 was pretty much unwatchable, but the 9pm BBC2 programme was good every day. That was the opposite - just showed the action rather than chatting about it and showing about 5 seconds of sport.

• rick_chasey
    It wasn’t just that though - bbc breakfast Olympics did my head in too
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited August 2021

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Remember Zola Budd?

Wiggins grew up in Kilburn. Born in Belgium with an Australian father.
    Froome is Kenyan. Could have competed for Kenya.
    Has Sky Brown ever set foot in the UK? I don't know. Do you?
    I don't get the objection.
    You either agree with the rules for everyone, or object to the rules for everyone.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • morstar

Their 7:30pm till 9pm programme on BBC1 was pretty much unwatchable, but the 9pm BBC2 programme was good every day. That was the opposite - just showed the action rather than chatting about it and showing about 5 seconds of sport.

Didn’t really watch much on the beeb but I believe they were limited to two concurrent live streams.
    So if they were showing action on the red button, maybe the main shows had to sneak clips in.

But I abandoned the Beeb during the men’s road race. After hours of continual coverage with not much happening, they cut to the studio throughout the decisive climb where the race exploded.
    Set the bar for what to expect really.
  • kingstongraham

If you wanted to mostly watch sport, not people talking about how the Brits were doing, you needed Eurosport.

• rick_chasey
    morstar said:

This makes no sense.

I think it’s an interesting topic and as I said, even the Eurosport commentators were discussing it.

I agree it’s nuanced which is why Zola Budd is a useful example. Her case was clear cut 100% flag of convenience and doesn’t lead us down the road of dissecting the specific living/training regime of an individual current athlete.

I have already set out that I personally don’t care for the medals table. I hardly thinks it’s unreasonable to want athletes who are the best in the world to compete for the country that they want to. In some cases they don’t in order to get to the olympics. Nothing to do with nativism.

As SC says, this distorts entry criteria in their adopted country. Fine if they have truly adopted that nation as their home state but not so fine if only done for their own personal Olympic ambition.
    I literally know no context about zola budd as she started competing before I was born and I am in my 30s.

Presumably it was an apartheid issue?
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021

If you wanted to mostly watch sport, not people talking about how the Brits were doing, you needed Eurosport.

Yeah I ditched Eurosport a while ago because of Kirby.

So I’m a vpn guy surfing the various national broadcasters for cycling for most of the year.

Basically Belgian coverage unless it’s RCS when i normally go to Aussie coverage who use the world feed who thankfully don’t use Kirby
  • kingstongraham

morstar said:

This makes no sense.

I literally know no context about zola budd as she started competing before I was born and I am in my 30s.

Couldn't compete internationally because of the boycott of SA due to apartheid, so she applied for British citizenship. It got rushed through in a few months just so she could go to the Olympics for GB. Then she fell over in the race. Didn't wear shoes.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926

morstar said:

This makes no sense.

Couldn't compete internationally because of the boycott of SA due to apartheid, so she applied for British citizenship. It got rushed through in a few months just so she could go to the Olympics for GB. Then she fell over in the race. Didn't wear shoes.
    And there was also the Mary Decker controversy.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    dabber said:

morstar said:

This makes no sense.

And there was also the Mary Decker controversy.
    She was married to the Colonel who was the A-Teams nemesis.

Rick, you may need to google the A-Team also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006

God that makes me feel very old.
    The story took on huge significance at the time. Right wing tabloid successfully campaigns for white SA barefoot runner to fast track uk nationality for 1984 olympics, anti-aparteid protests, drama when she collided with US WC, then dumps uk after a couple of years.
  • morstar
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Remember Zola Budd?

Wiggins grew up in Kilburn. Born in Belgium with an Australian father.
    Froome is Kenyan. Could have competed for Kenya.
    Has Sky Brown ever set foot in the UK? I don't know. Do you?
    I don't get the objection.
    You either agree with the rules for everyone, or object to the rules for everyone.

To be fair, I don’t really think it is an IOC or sport governing bodies issue.*

If somebody has a legal nationality, that is all the IOC can go by.

I guess the issue is more about the athletes doing it solely for Olympic ambition and the adoptive nations encouraging it.

When somebody changes nationality solely for sporting reasons, it is hardly in the spirit of the competition.

*Other than where athlete number limitations overly restrict participation of very strong nations.
  • First.Aspect

It was basically Grandstand from ca. 1990, but without a host as gifted as Des Lynham and with Eurosport's disadvantage of being locked in to a live sport they think is more popular than some other far more interesting live sport (e.g. a mixed doubles third round match in a French open warm up event, rather than the Queen stage of the Giro).

The BBC has a lot of excellent sports presenters, but they ensure that only the best looking host the main shows. And, inexplicably, Dan Walker - who is a blokey nob who wants to make little funny comments and be centre stage. He would be an ideal presenter for Top Gear, but that's about it.
  • rick_chasey

It was basically Grandstand from ca. 1990, but without a host as gifted as Des Lynham and with Eurosport's disadvantage of being locked in to a live sport they think is more popular than some other far more interesting live sport (e.g. a mixed doubles third round match in a French open warm up event, rather than the Queen stage of the Giro).

The BBC has a lot of excellent sports presenters, but they ensure that only the best looking host the main shows. And, inexplicably, Dan Walker - who is a blokey nob who wants to make little funny comments and be centre stage. He would be an ideal presenter for Top Gear, but that's about it.
    Didn’t grandstand peter out around 15-20 years ago? I have some recollection as a kid - some athletics I think?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694

So I’m a vpn guy surfing the various national broadcasters for cycling for most of the year.

Basically Belgian coverage unless it’s RCS when i normally go to Aussie coverage who use the world feed who thankfully don’t use Kirby
    The ad free stream on the Eurosport player, my normal choice, usually carries multiple language options inc ambient sound only.
    I could tolerate the track commentary of Kirby whose worst excesses were getting curbed (for goodness sake!) by Jo Rowsell.

Having the £20 p.a. Eurosport deal has paid for itself times n, e.g. did not have to put up with the sketchy BBC coverages.
  • morstar
    orraloon said:

The ad free stream on the Eurosport player, my normal choice, usually carries multiple language options inc ambient sound only.
    I could tolerate the track commentary of Kirby whose worst excesses were getting curbed (for goodness sake!) by Jo Rowsell.

Having the £20 p.a. Eurosport deal has paid for itself times n, e.g. did not have to put up with the sketchy BBC coverages.
    Agreed on ES subscription.
    Saw some track cycling whilst brushing my teeth.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited August 2021

Always makes me feel like the people who want to have this debate somehow have an undefined "British enough" litmus test that they apply.

Personally, to avoid unintended consequences of determining how British someone is by feel, or the how much are you like me test, I would be in favour or a set of objective rules accepted across the world.

Oh, wait...

I think that's unfair. Quite clearly some nations have abused the rules to try and buy success - an example would be the Brutish Tae Kwon Do guy who competed for some central European country a while back. Fast tracking Zola Budd citizenship so she could compete for GB was another.

No it's not a huge issue and it's a consequence of having rules which do allow for the fact that nationality isn't a black and white issue. If you have rules there are normally unintended loopholes - I'd suggest allowing an oil state to pay a Kenyan runner to compete for them as has happened is exploiting a loophole but it's preferable to putting up barriers which would affect the likes of, for example, Mo Farrah, Fiona May etc.

Edit - "British" TKD guy - he may well also be brutish I don't know.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

orraloon said:

Agreed on ES subscription.
    Saw some track cycling whilst brushing my teeth.
    The double edged sword of being bilingual in a language which is spoken by a nation which has a deep road cycling heritage is you know what good commentary and coverage really is.

You’ll spot on pro-race most bi lingual people watch the non-English feeds where possible. There’s a reason for that.