The Tokyo 2020/1 Olympics Thread *spoilers* (not the road race cycling)

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    Dina will have to go some to medal in the 100m. The Jamaicans Thompson and Fraser Pryce are flying.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    seanoconn said:

Dina will have to go some to medal in the 100m. The Jamaicans Thompson and Fraser Pryce are flying.

as in "high"?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

as in "high"?
    As in “on something” ?

Both obviously talented athletes but have really stepped it up leading to the Olympics. Must be the shoes.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272
    It will be a shame if all the winners are in the special springy shoes.
  • seanoconn
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,564
    seanoconn said:
    Excellent 😄
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Enjoyed the mixed triathlon relay event. GB taking gold as well.
  • seanoconn
    womack said:

Mixed egg and spoon race next 👍
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    womack said:

It’s a very good race format for viewing.
    I am a triathlon fan but admit the full event is often not great viewing. The relays can seem to be over quite early only for it all to change quite quickly.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited July 2021
    Triathlon really suffers from bad aesthetics.

The kits are unflattering, especially for the men, and they seem to be held in manky places.

Total opposite of cycling, and you’d have thought you could, but I guess they have their hands tied to where there is a big enough lake or river.
  • morstar

The kits are unflattering, especially for the men, and they seem to be held in manky places.

Total opposite of cycling, and you’d have thought you could, but I guess they have their hands tied to where there is a big enough lake or river.

Are you talking the WCTS pro races? Or all triathlons?

WCTS tend to be city centre based as they want to generate crowds and interest. Hence lots of laps on a short circuit.

Plenty of long distance tris go through spectacular countryside.

Hawaii for starters, Embrun, Lanza, and so on.
    UK, Tri-x in the lakes, Brutal in Snowdonia, IMW in Pembrokeshire and loads of events in other great spots.

Ironman don’t help other events by buying or aggressively competing with other event organisers that WTCS have used in the past. No Aussie WTCS race for a couple of years.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,590

I find the choice of some women to use what are basically high legged swimming costumes odd. Can't be comfortable on the bike.
  • morstar
    Pross said:

I find the choice of some women to use what are basically high legged swimming costumes odd. Can't be comfortable on the bike.
    I am often intrigued by women’s kit in many sports events but, as highlighted in the last week or so, some women are offended at being told to be more modest whilst others are fighting for the right to be more modest. As men, I think we have to let the women sort it out. We definitely shouldn’t have men legislating for it.
    But after all that waffle, basically, I agree with you.

Maybe you should take a ride in some speedos and report back.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

Pross said:

I am often intrigued by women’s kit in many sports events but, as highlighted in the last week or so, some women are offended at being told to be more modest whilst others are fighting for the right to be more modest. As men, I think we have to let the women sort it out. We definitely shouldn’t have men legislating for it.
    But after all that waffle, basically, I agree with you.

Maybe you should take a ride in some speedos and report back.
    Sure, I was just looking at it from a practicality and comfort point of view (not to mention the impact of a crash). I also find the men that choose to wear the swimming trunk type trisuit quite strange (and the swimming trunk ) crop top combination should just be banned on taste grounds!). I'm not sure if the athletes get a say or the federations tell them what kit they are wearing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Always knew he was a wrong 'un...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    How can cycling 112 miles like that be comfortable?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Not much to chafe
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    seanoconn said:

womack said:

Mixed egg and spoon race next 👍
    Here you go ....

• morstar
    I wonder if there will be a funding review post olympics?

GB won no golds in rowing, will likely win fewer in track cycling than previously and so many sports have had bullying issues in recent years. It seems we need the bullying to be world beaters. Swimming seems to be heading in the opposite direction mind.

Contrast that with the BMX funding being removed from females to fund males and the gold being delivered by a female athlete, it all seems a bit all over the place.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    One man's truth is another man's bullying.

It must rather suck when the athlete you defunded beats the one you funded...

I rather like that we're becoming a yoof sport powerhouse tho, s'well peng innit! 🤙🤘
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    morstar said:

GB won no golds in rowing, will likely win fewer in track cycling than previously and so many sports have had bullying issues in recent years. It seems we need the bullying to be world beaters. Swimming seems to be heading in the opposite direction mind.

Contrast that with the BMX funding being removed from females to fund males and the gold being delivered by a female athlete, it all seems a bit all over the place.

As I've said in the past top flight sport is a high pressure environment. A lot of what is being called bullying is actually what is needed to be successful at that level. I'm not sure that touchy feely is conducive with being successful at the highest level. That's not to excuse the examples of physical bullying and abuse of course. I guess there's a decision that needs to be made between success at all costs or fewer medals and a kinder training environment.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

Corona Olympics are always gonna be topsy turvy
  • morstar
    I think the bullying issue is an intrinsic part of elite camps.
    I think what has been demonstrated by the likes of the track cycling is that there is a big enough pool of elite talent out there if you look hard enough but you have to then push the talent extremely hard to realise that full potential.

Those that rise to the top outside of such environments are the truly gifted or most self motivated to drive themselves to obscene levels. As soon as an external person is making those demands, it becomes a very fine line between challenging and bullying.
  • rick_chasey
    There is a saying that is always said in Holland which is “topsport is not healthy” and I guess that applies to the mental side too.

I think what constitutes bullying is always very contextual and what someone finds motivating someone else can find traumatising.

I guess the challenge to coaches is to find that line and not go over it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,567
    All over or another 3 years. Cracking performance by team GB - 4th in the medal table behind USA, China and Japan B) Admittedly we did even better in Rio, although our performance this time is pretty much identical to 2012 when we were the home nation.

China no doubt unhappy that they were pipped at the post by the US...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    Has been a good games all round.

Tbh, I was less enthusiastic than usual with the whole Covid malarkey looking like it could reek a bit of havoc but Japan have hosted a great games in difficult circumstances. Lots of great action and only a few stars taken out by Covid.

New events have worked well and lots of format tweaks to existing events. Mixed relays work well imho and encourage nations to invest in talent across the board.

GB Track cycling team have done brilliantly when you consider we no longer have any advantages of being ahead in development terms.
    Swimming team coming good now but athletics needs to do some navel gazing when so many of our a list stars didn’t perform. Either very unlucky or something systemic.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,567
    Yep, cycling and swimming were very good for us. Rowing and track athletic less so compared to expectations, but these things go through cycles and overall we are doing pretty well and punching above our weight, as ever.

Loved watching some of the new stuff like the BMX freestyle, skateboarding and speed climbing.

And only 3 years 'till Paris.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    Overall, enjoyed it more than I expected. Considering the global conditions, Japan did a stellar job in hosting.

Will go hunting for more Climbing to watch (too old, too fat, too feeble and way too chicken to try it). Loved the cycling (all disciplines) and the swimming.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,272
    Team pursuit final was my number one highlight.

Just counted up, and despite watching loads, I think there are 19 sports out of the 46 that I haven't seen more than a minute of (in a "day's highlights" package). I think karate and trampoline I have avoided completely. It's a real feast of sport, and I feel so sorry for the people if Tokyo missing out on it.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Stevo_666 said:

Yep, cycling and swimming were very good for us. Rowing and track athletic less so compared to expectations, but these things go through cycles and overall we are doing pretty well and punching above our weight, as ever.

Loved watching some of the new stuff like the BMX freestyle, skateboarding and speed clibing.

And only 3 years 'till Paris.

Are we punching above our weight? We perform well in expensive sports, moderately in more open sports, but provide funding across a huge range of sports compared to most countries. Without wishing to be rude to the pentathletes out there, but some medals are more equal than others.