TDF 2021: Stage 9, Cluses > Tignes 144.9 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    orraloon said:

That time calculator link says 37:20 cutoff

That's what Eurosport said although they may all be using the same website.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    Bizarre that people think Ineos shouldn’t ride to help their leader gain time …

And, keep Pog in yellow over a rest day. It’s a real PITA isn’t it?
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2021
    That Funding Circle ad on ITV4 is quite disturbing
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    tonyf34 said:

zest28 said:

Pogacar = Chris Froome 2.0

He's at his peak but his opponents are long in the tooth and past their best by a significant margin, that's before you even get to the crash damage, only a top of his game Roglic would have stood a chance, no amount of tactics and team strength can cover the difference in actual ability at this level.
    I would still have backed peak Froome to beat peak Pog.
    Carapaz is 28, even in cycling that isn't long in the tooth.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    gsk82 said:

tonyf34 said:

Ineos are dumb AF, why would you actually help your opponent, they should have sat back and force Pog to work, if he doesn't work he could have possibly lost a minute to O'Connor in yellow, so this forces Pog to go to the front and work which helps Ineos, ATOTD they aren't gaining anything, they truly are thick as mince and robbing a deserved yellow for O'Connor.

Do you seriously think that Pogacar is an opponent of Ineos? He's in a race by himself now. He doesn't need to ride. Even if he did he'd just ride off, not sit on the front.
    You seem to fail to understand what I meant and also how they worked against themselves in what they were trying to acieve.
    Firstly, he's not on their team, ergo he is an opponent, what did they gain by going to the front, absolutely nil, they helped out their opponent/s by doing so and gained absolutely nothing. They would have benefited themselves by forcing someone else on the front, unless you think riding out the wind uphill is of no benefit?
    They were more likely to gain time on their nearest opponents by doing so, sure Pog could have ridden off at any point, and did that, but if you're tactically thinking straight you allow that gap to O'Connor keep going out, this puts onus on Pog to go to the front earlier, this would have benefitted Ineos overall.
    Instead they damaged themselves by going to the front when UAE had no-one left.
    Just utterly stupid.
  • Rider of the day has to be Colbrelli for me, a superb effort.
  • Pross

Thunder storm here took out the Sky satellite signal for about 10 minutes at the end there

Between that & a lovely nap I've ni idea what happened

Ineos took up the riding after UAE burned themselves out, Carapaz put in the most telegraphed attack in history, Pog followed with ease then simply rode away from everyone. O'Connor had a gap of over 7'00" when Pog attacked and that was down to 6'00" on the line. Lutsenko lost time plus maybe a couple of others.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    tonyf34 said:

gsk82 said:

tonyf34 said:

Ineos are dumb AF, why would you actually help your opponent, they should have sat back and force Pog to work, if he doesn't work he could have possibly lost a minute to O'Connor in yellow, so this forces Pog to go to the front and work which helps Ineos, ATOTD they aren't gaining anything, they truly are thick as mince and robbing a deserved yellow for O'Connor.

Do you seriously think that Pogacar is an opponent of Ineos? He's in a race by himself now. He doesn't need to ride. Even if he did he'd just ride off, not sit on the front.
    You seem to fail to understand what I meant and also how they worked against themselves in what they were trying to acieve.
    Firstly, he's not on their team, ergo he is an opponent, what did they gain by going to the front, absolutely nil, they helped out their opponent/s by doing so and gained absolutely nothing. They would have benefited themselves by forcing someone else on the front, unless you think riding out the wind uphill is of no benefit?
    They were more likely to gain time on their nearest opponents by doing so, sure Pog could have ridden off at any point, and did that, but if you're tactically thinking straight you allow that gap to O'Connor keep going out, this puts onus on Pog to go to the front earlier, this would have benefitted Ineos overall.
    Just utterly stupid.
    Have you ever watched a bike race before?
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2021
    Ineos helped Pogacar a lot today lol. You can't make this up.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    edited July 2021

That Funding Circle ad on ITV4 is quite disturbing

The donkey sanctuary has a total funding in 2020 of 38 million ... How much of that goes on adverts ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    There might be quite a few missing the time cut today.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

Rider of the day has to be Colbrelli for me, a superb effort.

Think I'd give it to O'connor tbh.
  • Pross
    tonyf34 said:

gsk82 said:

tonyf34 said:

Just utterly stupid.
    They gained back over a minute on Lutsenko and a few seconds on other podium rivals.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Pross said:

Thunder storm here took out the Sky satellite signal for about 10 minutes at the end there

Ineos took up the riding after UAE burned themselves out, Carapaz put in the most telegraphed attack in history, Pog followed with ease then simply rode away from everyone. O'Connor had a gap of over 7'00" when Pog attacked and that was down to 6'00" on the line. Lutsenko lost time plus maybe a couple of others.
    May have been asleep for longer than I thought

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    zest28 said:

Ineos helped Pogacar a lot today lol. You can't make this up.

You think Pogacar needs help after watching him the last two days? He only has one rider with 5 minutes of him on GC. Every time you post you demonstrate you are clueless
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    RichN95. said:

Demare is going home again by the looks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Pross said:

tonyf34 said:

gsk82 said:

tonyf34 said:

Just utterly stupid.
    They gained back over a minute on Lutsenko and a few seconds on other podium rivals.
    Exactly...

Carapaz is not going to catch Pogacar barring a major mishap. If he wants to finish on the podium, riding to take time back on O'Connor/drop some of his other rivals is a totally sensible thing to do.
  • Pross
    Only 39 riders home within 21 minutes
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross said:

Only 39 riders home within 21 minutes

43 in 23.......
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2021

Pross said:

tonyf34 said:

gsk82 said:

tonyf34 said:

Just utterly stupid.
    Exactly...

Carapaz is not going to catch Pogacar barring a major mishap. If he wants to finish on the podium, riding to take time back on O'Connor/drop some of his other rivals is a totally sensible thing to do.
    Indeed. Ineos don't care about Pogacar anymore as they know they cannot beat him. Their focus is now getting Carapez on the podium and so be it if they help Pogacar on the way to do it.

But it is still funny to see them help Pogacar.
  • Pross

Pross said:

May have been asleep for longer than I thought

I had my nap in the valley section luckily. Anyone would think cycling is boring (or we're a bunch of old men).
  • blazing_saddles
    28 minutes and we have 57 riders safe.
  • tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    Pross said:

Lots of people still not understanding that the riders are racing for position on GC not just trying to win.

Pog pulled back over a minute once he attacked - crazy!

At the point where Ineos went to the front, what was the virtual position of Carapaz, they gained nothing from that point on their nearest rivals for the chance of a podium, okay, they gained on O'Connor, but are you saying that he is a threat to them for a podium position even if he is 3.5minutes ahead of Carapaz?

What did Ineos gain from their nearest rivals by them going to the front?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

RichN95. said:

Demare is going home again by the looks.
    Yebbut. Demare. Chances of the commissars changing the cutoff time?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Bit disrespectful to O'connor in some ways to suggest that other teams should just let him ride away. I suspect he'll be fighting hard to defend his GC position after today.
  • Pross
    tonyf34 said:

Pross said:

Lots of people still not understanding that the riders are racing for position on GC not just trying to win.

Pog pulled back over a minute once he attacked - crazy!

At the point where Ineos went to the front, what was the virtual position of Carapaz, they gained nothing from that point on their nearest rivals for the chance of a podium, okay, they gained on O'Connor, but are you saying that he is a threat to them for a podium position even if he is 3.5minutes ahead of Carapaz?

What did Ineos gain from their nearest rivals by them going to the front?
    Of course he's a threat to them. He's in second place and is climbing superbly. He'd have been even more of a threat with a minute or two more head start. Lutsenko is also now less of a threat.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    Still a good stage though .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited July 2021
    Cav in with 6 odd minutes to spare apparently.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Cav in, with about 40 seconds to spare.

Judged to perfection. B)
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387