TDF 2021:- Stage 1, Brest › Landerneau 197.8km **Spoilers**

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited June 2021
    pblakeney said:

"Come on Grandad-Granny" apparently.

Daft woman.
    Indeed. But I can't help feeling a bit sorry for her. I'm obviously sorry for the riders too but it's the sort of thing that could torment her for the rest of her life.
    Well, she should feel bad about it to be fair.
    This. Her fault, and her fault alone.
    Plus she did a runner.
    The police should throw the bike at her.

This reads like a casualty list from a war zone.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/21-riders-injured-in-tour-de-france-opening-stage-crashes/

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The injuries were mostly in the second crash I think
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Cyclingtips gave a split: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/21-riders-were-injured-on-stage-1-of-the-tour-de-france/

Appears Casper Pedersen was caught in both, poor bloke!
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378
    That doesn't sound great for Froome.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Indeed, and with injuries like that a good night's rest isn't always guaranteed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,563
    Can’t remember where I posted it but I was saying how JA always turns up to the big races on form despite what he’s up to in the build up.

Thought today was quite remarkable. That was a big big effort.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,129
    I assume most of his injuries are from other riders hitting him as bruising to the thorax sounds quite unusual.
  • Pross
    I've seen some of Gruber's photos on Instagram. Very good one of JA crossing the line, there's also a couple of Sbaragli who really looked quite beaten up.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533

Can’t remember where I posted it but I was saying how JA always turns up to the big races on form despite what he’s up to in the build up.

Thought today was quite remarkable. That was a big big effort.

It was impressive. I had doubts about how he'd go, given he left a race to become a dad a few weeks ago. Turns out I should have been paying attention to your posts. Who'd a thunk it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,862
    It looks like Froomes OK to continue which is good to see.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    At least half the peloton must have tasted tarmac yesterday. Yet Geraint stayed up. What odds would you get on that?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95. said:

Marc Soler is out of the race

According to reports, fractures in both arms. Both arms. And he still finished the stage :#
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

RichN95. said:

Marc Soler is out of the race

According to reports, fractures in both arms. Both arms. And he still finished the stage :#
    How the hell do you get up the finish climb with two fractured elbows?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325

Cyclingtips gave a split: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/06/21-riders-were-injured-on-stage-1-of-the-tour-de-france/

Appears Casper Pedersen was caught in both, poor bloke!

Think that only includes those that were treated by the tour's medics. To take just one team, AG2R reported the following (via Procycling Stats on Twitter) - only two of the five injured were reported in the Cycling Tips list:

• Pross

At least half the peloton must have tasted tarmac yesterday. Yet Geraint stayed up. What odds would you get on that?

He seems to go down in freak accidents. Wouldn't have been surprised if the sign had hit him though.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2021
    That bidon in the Giro was just unbelievably unlucky.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    Note that Froome's tweet was sent at 02.00 too. I was awake cos Alcohol, I suspect my day will be a bit less physical then his though.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor

And getting swiped on a descent by Barguil that time he nearly hit a telegraph pole and lost his white jawbones
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700

And getting swiped on a descent by Barguil that time he nearly hit a telegraph pole and lost his white jawbones
    Not to mention police motorbikes.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • focuszing723

Yeah, I remember that he was gutted about the shades.
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2021

Not to mention police motorbikes.

And the time he got blown off the road by the wind at Gent-Wevelgem. At least he kept going after that one.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,504
    The police would like to charge the women with the cardboard sign for the offence of leaving the scene of an accident.
  • Pross

The police would like to charge the women with the cardboard sign for the offence of leaving the scene of an accident.

I think it needs some to have an example made of them to make spectators realise they need to think about their actions
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,504
    Pross said:

I think it needs some to have an example made of them to make spectators realise they need to think about their actions
    It makes me think that there isn't any other charge they can think of if they are using that. After all, a lot of cyclists also left the scene yesterday.
  • Pross
    Yeah, I'm struggling to think of an equivalent UK charge where stupidity leads to others being injured. It usually becomes a civil issue. I guess they can argue the details of the riders are recorded by the race but it does feel tenuous.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306

And hitting the motorbike that was stopped in the Giro
  • focuszing723
    The organizers of the Tour de France on Thursday withdrew their complaint against the woman who caused the fall during the 1st stage. A decision taken "for the sake of appeasement" in the face of "the media packaging" caused by this affair, in the words of Pierre-Yves Thouault, deputy director of the Tour de France.

An investigation had been opened by the gendarmerie and entrusted to the Landerneau brigade for "involuntary injuries with incapacity not exceeding three months by manifestly deliberate violation of an obligation of safety or prudence" . On Wednesday, this woman had finally presented to the gendarmerie and had been taken into custody in the wake.

Pierre-Yves Thouault recalls that "attention must be focused on the runners and not on the public" while inviting spectators to scrupulously respect the safety rules.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme-sur-route/Actualites/L-organisateur-du-tour-de-france-retire-sa-plainte-contre-la-femme-a-la-pancarte/1267230
  • RichN95.
    Even noted rapper 50 Cent (real name Arthur Doller) has weighed in on the matter

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RichN95. said:

Even noted rapper 50 Cent (real name Arthur Doller) has weighed in on the matter

Maybe someone should nip round to his and give him the same injuries as Mark Soller and will see if he’s still lol.