Euro 2020/21 (more football, sorry Brian)

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    With England I just don't believe Southgate is up to the job.

What is the tactic beyond don't commit too many men - so in possession we lack width, we lack forward options and when kane drops short we condense the play more - we aren't going to play through the lines like that even if we had Xavi and Iniesta. So we end up with endless sideways and backwards passing - all too slow - then because there is nothing on launch it into a channel anyway - presumably what Southgate thinks is lack of patience.

Out of possession - well in transition some of our players like Stones and Rice don't look forwards enough - then we don't press as a team - but it's ok as we have enough men behind the ball but if we win it we aren't set up to play in the break.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

nah.

they think they are a free flowing, exciting, attacking pacey team with world class talent.

KANE!!!!
    SANCHO!!!!
    THOSE BLOKES FROM CHELSEA WHO ARE ISOLATING!!!!!

When in reality they are just a bit dull, slow and not very good.

2x 1-0 isn't really overpowering, outplaying and crushing other nations is it?

For example - Kane. According to English media, the best striker in universe.

The reality: 1 shot on goal, that didn't go in, in 2 games.

To be fair, Matt, 1-0 conservative wins served Italy very well for decades.
    Tbf Ben, we also won 3 World Cups whilst England were busy winning, errrr, nothing.

I believe offhand our 1st was pre '66.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

With England I just don't believe Southgate is up to the job.

What is the tactic beyond don't commit too many men - so in possession we lack width, we lack forward options and when kane drops short we condense the play more - we aren't going to play through the lines like that even if we had Xavi and Iniesta. So we end up with endless sideways and backwards passing - all too slow - then because there is nothing on launch it into a channel anyway - presumably what Southgate thinks is lack of patience.

Out of possession - well in transition some of our players like Stones and Rice don't look forwards enough - then we don't press as a team - but it's ok as we have enough men behind the ball but if we win it we aren't set up to play in the break.

the manager can only manage whats in front of him and whats in front of ain't really that good.
  • DeVlaeminck
    That's an alternative opinion MF but we've done it to death so all we can do is disagree.

These days we see top internationals playing in the Prem and can compare them to your Mounts, Fodens, Grealishes etc - we also have Sancho getting rave reviews in Germany yet doing nothing for England.

Don't forget Italy failed to qualify for the world cup in 2018 - shows what a change of manager can do.
  • DeVlaeminck
  • MattFalle

That's an alternative opinion MF but we've done it to death so all we can do is disagree.

These days we see top internationals playing in the Prem and can compare them to your Mounts, Fodens, Grealishes etc - we also have Sancho getting rave reviews in Germany yet doing nothing for England.

Don't forget Italy failed to qualify for the world cup in 2018 - shows what a change of manager can do.

for the only time in history.

we were too busy winning it or ELECTRIFYING AND EDUCATING the world with our skillz the rest of the time.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,895
    edited June 2021
    lowest xg against though and that's what wins tournaments...not saying they will by the way.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,682

lowest xg against though and that's what wins tournaments...not saying they will by the way.
    Sadly if you play this way, penalty shoot outs win tournaments. How do we all think that will pan out?
  • rick_chasey
    Don't think this squad are any worse at penalties than any other teams.
  • First.Aspect

Don't think this squad are any worse at penalties than any other teams.

The are English. This means that self doubt will suddenly appear in vast quantities a split second before they kick the ball.
  • rick_chasey
    Won thier last shootout.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    That means its lower than the Czechs, the Croats and Scotland.

England beat the first two and the Scots are going home.

It's a cliche, but the only stat that really counts is the score.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

nah.

they think they are a free flowing, exciting, attacking pacey team with world class talent.

KANE!!!!
    SANCHO!!!!

Tbf Ben, we also won 3 World Cups whilst England were busy winning, errrr, nothing.

This is my point, Matt. Your lads played a very conservative style of football for decades. 1-0 was almost the default... and it won world cups.

So I don't have an issue with England being set up to primarily not concede. It's how football should be played anyway. Ref: Newcastle United under Keegan, ultimately useless.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

nah.

KANE!!!!
    SANCHO!!!!

This is my point, Matt. Your lads played a very conservative style of football for decades. 1-0 was almost the default... and it won world cups.

So I don't have an issue with England being set up to primarily not concede. It's how football should be played anyway. Ref: Newcastle United under Keegan, ultimately useless.
    Saved them from relegation to 3rd tier
    Promotion to Prem as champions
    3rd
    6th
    2nd
    Resigned in Jan finished 2nd again.

They'd love someone that useless now. He was a bit like Pochettino at Spurs - did well but one big disappointment and the hangover from it saw them go - with hindsight should have given it another season.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,902
    Mbappe goes down easy under pressure for a big lad. Last time it was his own team mate. 🤣🤣🤣 I'll also be surprised if Griezmann stays on for 90 one way or the other.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,953
    elbowloh said:

That means its lower than the Czechs, the Croats and Scotland.

England beat the first two and the Scots are going home.

It's a cliche, but the only stat that really counts is the score.
    There's no need to do more than necessary!
  • rick_chasey
    What a group. Woof.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,967
    Cards keep getting shuffled.
  • First.Aspect
    How many of you are watching both games at once?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

How many of you are watching both games at once?

I keep watching the wrong one.
  • First.Aspect
    Sh!t oh dear.

I fancied England to at least score against Portugal. Next Tuesday against Germany will be painful though.
  • pblakeney
    Laughing at the Portuguese manager ranting at his players to go for the win, and being completely blanked.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,831
    How did they determine 2nd and 3rd in that group?
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    The football world needs more Christiano's and less Peter Reid's!
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

How did they determine 2nd and 3rd in that group?

Germany beat Portugal.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

nah.

KANE!!!!
    SANCHO!!!!

3rd
    6th
    2nd

They'd love someone that useless now. He was a bit like Pochettino at Spurs - did well but one big disappointment and the hangover from it saw them go - with hindsight should have given it another season.

It wasn’t enough at the top level. That gung ho approach gets you tonked.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Sh!t oh dear.

I fancied England to at least score against Portugal. Next Tuesday against Germany will be painful though.

Hungary scored two against them.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • DeVlaeminck
    Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

MattFalle said:

nah.

KANE!!!!
    SANCHO!!!!

3rd
    6th
    2nd

It wasn’t enough at the top level. That gung ho approach gets you tonked.

3rd 6th 2nd in the Premier League with Newcastle isn't bad.
    It wasn't enough to beat Man Utd with Schmeichel Bruce Pallister Neville Irwin Beckham Giggs Keane Scholes Cole and Cantona - they finished second to a fantastic side.

You have to accept Keegan did a great job in his first spell - I saw them at the Baseball Ground not long after he took over when they were fighting relegation to the third tier - they had 2 men sent off - who would have thought 4-5 years later they'd be challenging the best team in the land.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Was on an FA coaching webinar this evening - one of the FA tutors reckoned Southgate's tactics were heavily influenced by the fact a high percentage of goals are conceded from negative transitions - basically from your team losing the ball and your being in an offensive shape unsuited to defending.

So England remain in a fairly defensive shape even when attacking so they can't be caught on the break. You have to say it's borne out by the stats so far - at both ends of the pitch as we don't look a threat but we never look that vulnerable.

I still think you need to commit more to attack and then manage the transition - like Man City do with little professional fouls high up the pitch - but it's a point of view. It also points to why Southgate loves Sterling and Rashford so much as they have do run in behind and can play on the break when we win the ball.

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,463
    Germany at Wembley.
    Oh well.

At least when they get beaten, we can concentrate on the Tour.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!