Euro 2020/21 (more football, sorry Brian)

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    pinno said:

Germany at Wembley.
    Oh well.

At least when they get beaten, we can concentrate on the Tour.

I expect 4-2 to be getting a lot of mentions.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,964
    It's only been 3 years since we were last discussing England being in the easier side of the draw in the knockout stages of a tournament

Feels a lot longer
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,959
    I don't get all the negativity towards the draw. It's a knockout game against Germany at Wembley in a major tournament. They don't come along very often, you really have to be looking forward to it imo.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,086
    Germany were very average against Hungary.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

And in their other two games.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,911

TBF that would usually be an improvement for England.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    England 1 - 0 Germany.

England fans do my head in 'It's Coming Home' to 'Southgate Out' depending on the 90 minutes. Moan constantly about not winning anything and then when winning moan constantly about the style of football. Get behind the team you melts.
  • rick_chasey

England 1 - 0 Germany.

England fans do my head in 'It's Coming Home' to 'Southgate Out' depending on the 90 minutes. Moan constantly about not winning anything and then when winning moan constantly about the style of football. Get behind the team you melts.

Better than the f*cking England band.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,994

England 1 - 0 Germany.

You forgot the stage where they have one half decent performance and everyone is saying they're going to win the tournament.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    The whole thing is a joke, one team get to play all their games at home whilst some of us have to travel half way round the world and back.

A situation obviously made worse with the current covid travel restrictions.

I hope we never see this format again.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,480
    England need to change their bl@ody anthem to get a bit of a pump on. Doesn’t even need lyrics, maybe a bit of drum and bass instead of the usual deflating dirge.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rick_chasey
    Yikes we're all a negative bunch aren't we?

I think there's a decent chance for England. I hope the players can rise to the occasion.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,977
    edited June 2021

Yikes we're all a negative bunch aren't we?

I think there's a decent chance for England. I hope the players can rise to the occasion.

Let’s hope not.

https://ms.sbrfeeds.com/redirect-proxy/redirect/?url=http://bigbear.mysbrforum.com/photos/l/rupsgySU.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Was on an FA coaching webinar this evening - one of the FA tutors reckoned Southgate's tactics were heavily influenced by the fact a high percentage of goals are conceded from negative transitions - basically from your team losing the ball and your being in an offensive shape unsuited to defending.

So England remain in a fairly defensive shape even when attacking so they can't be caught on the break. You have to say it's borne out by the stats so far - at both ends of the pitch as we don't look a threat but we never look that vulnerable.

I still think you need to commit more to attack and then manage the transition - like Man City do with little professional fouls high up the pitch - but it's a point of view. It also points to why Southgate loves Sterling and Rashford so much as they have do run in behind and can play on the break when we win the ball.

You won’t be surprised to find out that I fully endorse Southgate’s tactics! :smiley:

Thanks for sharing.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh, I just don't know with the German team - they'll either be brilliant and MARMALISE you or you'll take them apart....

sensible head: 2-1 either way.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,450
    womack said:

The whole thing is a joke, one team get to play all their games at home whilst some of us have to travel half way round the world and back.

To be fair, in most tournaments one team get to play all their matches at home.

Difference this time is it's more than one. It's crazy.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,959

womack said:

I'm sure that well known hot bed of european football called Baku getting to host games was the result of an entirely legitimate bidding process. It was a disgrace Wales and Switzerland were dragged out there and if Wales progress they have to return for a quarter final.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,800

womack said:

Why is it crazy? Seems more equitable than a single host nation. Less need to pointlessly upgrade or build stadia.

Multi-country world cups and multi country olympics would avoid these going to nations interested only in sports-washing, at great cost to the locals who are being washed.
  • rick_chasey

womack said:

Why is it crazy? Seems more equitable than a single host nation. Less need to pointlessly upgrade or build stadia.

Multi-country world cups and multi country olympics would avoid these going to nations interested only in sports-washing, at great cost to the locals who are being washed.
    The carnival atmosphere of a host nation is part of the fun, and I would imagine, at least in smaller countries that aren't Russia or Brazil, that it's better for travelling fans too as they don't need to trek across continents to follow their team.

• kingstongraham

womack said:

If only there were countries that already had a few big stadia.

You might as well just have it as a European super league of nations and have home and away matches.
  • First.Aspect

womack said:

The carnival atmosphere of a host nation is part of the fun, and I would imagine, at least in smaller countries that aren't Russia or Brazil, that it's better for travelling fans too as they don't need to trek across continents to follow their team.

You've just made the case for Qatar.
  • First.Aspect

womack said:

If only there were countries that already had a few big stadia.

You might as well just have it as a European super league of nations and have home and away matches.
    Not sure that is far off is it?

There are many smaller nations with one or two big stadia. Hungary, for example. Wales has one good one. Other countries have a disproportionate amount but that doesn't preclude having multiple hosts elsewhere.

They really have been idiotic this time (it is UEFA after all) and put venues spread as far as Glasgow and Baku, but regional tournaments within Europe would be easy enough.
  • kingstongraham
    So the two halves of the draw...

France, Switzerland; Croatia, Spain: Belgium, Portugal; Italy, Austria

Netherlands, Czech Republic; Wales, Denmark: Sweden, Ukraine; England, Germany

Whoever comes through to the final from the top half really has earned it. Rather be in England's place than Croatia's.
  • surrey_commuter

Whoever comes through to the final from the top half really has earned it. Rather be in England's place than Croatia's.

On paper there is no reason why we can't reach the final.

I wish I could remember the reasoning behind people wanting England to be runners up
  • surrey_commuter

womack said:

I think carnival atmosphere is on a city level and only if the city is not too big
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    MattFalle said:

Tbh, I just don't know with the German team - they'll either be brilliant and MARMALISE you or you'll take them apart....

sensible head: 2-1 either way.

Neither team seem to be very on form. It has all the makings of a really poor quality game. Though I suppose the ratcheting tension will add a modicum of spice...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter

womack said:

Just play it in London, as fans don't need to travel they can allocate stadium when they know who is playing. If Belgium are playing Morth Macedonia then a nearly full Craven Cottage will be a better venue than a half empty Stamford Bridge
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

womack said:

I think carnival atmosphere is on a city level and only if the city is not too big
    I've been to one Euros (Portugal, based in Porto) and one WC (Germany based in Hannover) abroad and both were brilliant experiences, with carnival atmospheres. With the WC in Germany, we travelled round a bit with games in Hamburg and Kaiserlauten as well as Hannover and also did a trip to Berlin, watching a game on a huge screen at the Brandenburg Gate.

The atmosphere was great everywhere we went.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Just to clarify, my initial post was not an anti English rant, it was an anti UEFA rant. I really wouldn't have minded the whole tournament being based in England. In normal times the fans from all over Europe only have to come to one country and base themselves there.

This is what we did in Euro 2016, just traveling around France for each game.

Even without Covid, and I make no apology for using Wales as an example, but the cost to fans would have been rediculous. Baku, Rome, Amsterdam possibly back to Baku etc.

Cardiff did bid for games initially, got knocked back, Brussels pulled out, got knocked back again, Dublin pulled out, Cardiff got knocked back again. So, it would appear to me, the highest bidding palm greaser gets the games

And to cap it all our government, whilst denying the average British citizen basic freedoms is going to let in 2500 unchecked, non isolating UEFA luvvies for a Covid Fest Final just to ensure it is at Wembley.

The whole thing stinks to me.
  • kingstongraham
    edited June 2021

On paper there is no reason why we can't reach the final.

I wish I could remember the reasoning behind people wanting England to be runners up
    Spain and Sweden were expected to be the other way around, which would even it up a bit and make the route to the semi a bit easier. But top half would still look tougher, and this way England gets to play at home.