Ardennes* races **Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146
    Roglic not learning from the numerous others who have tried and failed going early. Alaphilippe nudges past. Ineos had 4 or 5 riders in the final group but none could go when it mattered.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    Pidcock's positioning let him down there, had to go deep to get to the front.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    The most predictable race of the season done for another year
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Two fun finishes - can't complain, can you?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

No pidcock to be seen.

6th in the end
  • Pross
    andyp said:

Pidcock's positioning let him down there, had to go deep to get to the front.

Looked like he was trying to stalk Roglic but was a couple of riders too far back.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    If only there was some of history of riders going a bit too early and realising their legs don't work a few yards from the finish.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    Pidcock looked like he was tracking Valverde - which would make some sense if you've never done this race before - follow the guy who knows how to time the finish.

Unfortunately Valverde was stuck on the kerb and had to jump on the path to get round - Pidcock then coming hard from some way back to make up the space to Alaphilippe, and Roglic was already gone. Tom's legs prob went a bit but held it together well for 6th.

Still not sure what to make of it when 40 guys are hitting the last climb in a bunch.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I love the way, in the post-Froome/Sky/Ineos era, that Roglic comes to these races and races them full on, balls to the wall death or glory. Dare I even say with panache. Helps me forgive his more circumspect approach to the tour...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited April 2021
    Seals are the new Cows
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Would WvA / MvdP have maintained that sort of effort to win?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Even when he retires Valverde should still get a guest spot for Movistar for this race just to see how long he can keep competitive
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Ben Tulett in 12th - decent race for young British cross riders!
  • ddraver

Would WvA / MvdP have maintained that sort of effort to win?

I'd suggest that their absence suggests that they don't think so...
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    ddraver said:

I love the way, in the post-Froome/Sky/Ineos era, that Roglic comes to these races and races them full on, balls to the wall death or glory. Dare I even say with panache. Helps me forgive his more circumspect approach to the tour...

2nd in the tour and winner of the Vuelta competing with the world champion in a race in April. Only a covid test stopped the tour winner being there. Just how it should be.
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95. said:

Even when he retires Valverde should still get a guest spot for Movistar for this race just to see how long he can keep competitive

He's 41 on Sunday. I don't think he's quite got the legs to take the birthday win in Liege, but he'll be in the mix.

His 2017 Tour crash wasn't as severe Froome's a year later, but it was still very nasty. To get back from that to top level in his late 30s must have took some work (and who knows whatever else etc etc....)
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    ddraver said:

Sprinting in the final km of a climb is pretty much his thing though, no? I mean it's great that he does the classics but his style of climbing is well suited to them, it's not like he's a rider who has to change his style to do well.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    ddraver said:

He certainly gave us an extra 100 metres of action to watch.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • yorkshireraw
    Ben Tullett 12th for Alpecin. Just behind Schachmann and Mollema. Good effort.
  • RichN95.
    Pidcock is doing LBL. It wasn't the original plan.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    RichN95. said:

Pidcock is doing LBL. It wasn't the original plan.

You sure?

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tom-pidcock-reveals-mountain-bike-schedule-after-blistering-start-to-worldtour-career-494044

From March:

and Pidcock will now compete in a number of other prestigious spring Classics, including Milan – Sanremo, Gent-Wevelgem, Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2021
    Also:

"Without Liège, it gives us more time to recover and prepare for the mountain bike," Pidcock’s coach, Kurt Bogaerts, told Cyclingnews earlier in the season. "The unknown is how long he can hold his form, especially after a busy cyclo-cross schedule in the winter."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited April 2021
    Checking the results it's disappointing to see Dan Martin was so badly positioned for the Mur again.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Disappointing to see Dan Martin so badly positioned for the Mur again.

So badly positioned that he was riding the Tour of the Alps.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    edited April 2021
    Dan Martin, Daniel Filipe Martínez, Tony Martin, Guillame Martin, Davide Martinelli - it’s a big family
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    *sigh*
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95. said:

Also:

"Without Liège, it gives us more time to recover and prepare for the mountain bike," Pidcock’s coach, Kurt Bogaerts, told Cyclingnews earlier in the season. "The unknown is how long he can hold his form, especially after a busy cyclo-cross schedule in the winter."
    Pidcock is currently listed on the startlist for LBL on procycling stats.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790

*sigh*

Pearls after swine
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    I assume Ineos think but for his crash he’d was well in with a shout, so are looking to wring a bit more out of him to get the big result that’s so close.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner