Ardennes* races **Spoilers**

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

andyrac said:

About as conclusive as VAR; when they're showing lines, I just roll my eyes....."Here we go again".

The finish line tech is well established and available to those operating it pretty much instantly. We may not have seen it but the race control people will.
    Well I hope the people operating it have far more idea than those operating VAR; one hopes they are, but I've lost trust in officials to get anything right.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    That was a good race - better than I was expecting.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Having seen the women's now I'm astounded Katarzyna didn't ride behind Elina hurling a stream of abuse at her...

That was utterly idiotic!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    andyrac said:

andyrac said:

About as conclusive as VAR; when they're showing lines, I just roll my eyes....."Here we go again".

The finish line tech is well established and available to those operating it pretty much instantly. We may not have seen it but the race control people will.
    Well I hope the people operating it have far more idea than those operating VAR; one hopes they are, but I've lost trust in officials to get anything right.....
    I wouldn't judge other sports by using football as the baseline.
    They seem to be going out of their way to get it removed. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    ddraver said:

Having seen the women's now I'm astounded Katarzyna didn't ride behind Elina hurling a stream of abuse at her...

Annoyed me that the commentators mispronounced Kasia.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Looks like the photo finish wasn't correctly aligned. The background shows an ad hoarding before the black line.

No scope for any appeal though, as the photo finish is the sole measure of the finish, road markings are just for show
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    So what's the consensus on the Amstel Gold Kermesse now that they mucked around with it? Or was it mucked around with because of Covid mitigation?
    Although it was an exciting finish, I wasn't keen on it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Possibly influenced by the race but I thought it was a decent circuit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    So, who's gonna win up the Muur on Wednesday then?

Not as obvious to call as previous years.

Noted Valverde was still there in 5th on Sunday...
  • ddraver
    pinno said:

So what's the consensus on the Amstel Gold Kermesse now that they mucked around with it? Or was it mucked around with because of Covid mitigation?

AGR goes round in circles all the time. It really didn't bother me at all. The only time I thought of it was when it was mentioned in commentary. Limburg isn't very big. Any ~200Km route is going to repeat a lot of stuff.
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,551
    pinno said:

I assume it was a Covid measure. Created a decent race though I thought, plenty of aggresive riding in the final 50km after the attrition the circuit created. Saw some fairly decent riders, albeit not in the best of form, getting dropped quite early.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited April 2021

Looks like the photo finish wasn't correctly aligned. The background shows an ad hoarding before the black line.

No scope for any appeal though, as the photo finish is the sole measure of the finish, road markings are just for show

There are two possibilities here:

1. Professionals who have done this a hundred times before set it up wrong

2. Someone on twitter has no idea what they are talking about

Twitter: @RichN95
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    ddraver said:

As bonkers as it was, ELB's not contractually obliged to lead out a faster sprinter - Niewiadoma is every bit as much to blame for what happened.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    RichN95. said:

This straight line, which has been helpfully drawn on top, doesn't look very straight to me.

• rick_chasey

RichN95. said:

This straight line, which has been helpfully drawn on top, doesn't look very straight to me.

Road is clearly not flat. Drops off a fair bit either side.

• ddraver

ddraver said:

As bonkers as it was, ELB's not contractually obliged to lead out a faster sprinter - Niewiadoma is every bit as much to blame for what happened.
    I'd have thought ELB would have the edge in a sprint against Niewiadoma.

But to not even want to try... 🤯
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    edited April 2021
    RichN95. said:

The photo finish camera is between the struts of the gantry, yes?

• pblakeney
    The above photo is enlightening. Much at the time was made of Pidcock coming up faster but WvA is clearly in front after the line indicating this not to be the case.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.

The photo finish camera is between the struts of the gantry, yes?

And? The fact that the camera is in between two struts suggests they are not parallel. And the gantry is positioned just before the finish line
  • pblakeney
    edited April 2021
    Camera is on a tripod mounted on the roof, no?
    Although how the tripod is in front of one horizontal support but behind the other confuses me. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    edited April 2021
    RichN95. said:

This is cycling through remember which is pretty much the most amateur ‘professional’ sport going. So many gaffes it’s unreal, I'm not sure I’d trust them to get a decision that comes down to millimetres or even a fraction of a millimetre on setup correct.

To be fair though, if I was Pidcock I’d be more annoyed with myself for the fact that he was clearly the strongest on the day and should have either sprinted earlier, or quite possibly just ridden them off his wheel with a couple of km to go.
  • ddraver
    I think you do Wout's craftiness a disservice there...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    You can't argue whether the photo finish picture has yellow, green and grey rather than red, though?
  • kingstongraham
    I'm glad Wout sprinted for the photo finish line anyway.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2021
    pblakeney said:

Camera is on a tripod mounted on the roof, no?
    Although how the tripod is in front of one horizontal support but behind the other confuses me. 🤔

Photos only have two dimensions

Overhead:

• pblakeney
    edited April 2021
    Thanks! I'd have thought the struts would be at the same elevation in that configuration though. Not a small hill I'm wanting to die on. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    pinno said:

Round the houses is fine for me good race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    edited April 2021

RichN95. said:

This is cycling through remember which is pretty much the most amateur ‘professional’ sport going. So many gaffes it’s unreal, I'm not sure I’d trust them to get a decision that comes down to millimetres or even a fraction of a millimetre on setup correct.

To be fair though, if I was Pidcock I’d be more annoyed with myself for the fact that he was clearly the strongest on the day and should have either sprinted earlier, or quite possibly just ridden them off his wheel with a couple of km to go.
    Pidcock was insanely fast when he spun up the cadence on the drags .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey

pinno said:

Round the houses is fine for me good race
    Felt less tough than other editions - pros seem to say the same.