Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    daniel_b said:
    Yes and no.

Still a solid GC contender for now, explosive attacker on climbs. Can he still challenge the young guns, perhaps not. Replacement for G and a foil for Bernal?

Would Jumbo let him go and at what cost? They may be worried that only have Bernal as a genuine GC contender just now.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    RichN95. said:

Ben Swift has joined the Isle of Man somehow

Residency I assume
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    If JV can keep Roglic. Let him have go at the Giro and be be #2 For the TdF. That's if he can stay on the bike. They have no need for the money but Ineos need their own contender. He is out there somewhere
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    amrushton said:

If JV can keep Roglic. Let him have go at the Giro and be be #2 For the TdF. That's if he can stay on the bike. They have no need for the money but Ineos need their own contender. He is out there somewhere

The same Ineos who currently have four GT winners in their squad?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    andyp said:

amrushton said:

I can't see any of them winning another GT other than a Vuelta or Giro with a week field.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,159
    andyp said:

amrushton said:

With Carapaz leaving unless Bernal can get back to 2019 form I don't see any of those remaining winning another. Geraint could maybe get a Giro with the form he had in the Tour but Bernal looks the only hope for the big one and even that is a long shot following his crash.

They may have a raw diamond amongst their youngsters though. Tullet is a hopeful, not sure where Pidcock will go with his career.

That said, maybe I'm guilty of assuming it has to be someone in their early 20s due to recent trends.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who knows what the future holds. No-one was considering Vingegaard two years ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    So who here thinks Pidcock could develop into an actual GT contender? I think his upside is more Alaphilippe (puncheur) than Pogacar.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    m.r.m. said:

So who here thinks Pidcock could develop into an actual GT contender? I think his upside is more Alaphilippe (puncheur) than Pogacar.

I know u23 form doesn't always translate to the big league but any rider doing this would be seen as a major GC prospect

• m.r.m.
    I know he won the baby Giro. Just doesn't seem to have overly translated to the elite level beyond the Alpe d'Huez stage. He hasn't really tried either. Maybe for someone that talented it comes down to choice. He may be good enough to be a Pinot or Gaudu, maybe even better. He could also have the punch to rival Alaphilippe, Valverde, Roglic, Mollema and even MvdP (less power, less weight compared to MvdP) in the Ardennes or hilly classics.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2022
    m.r.m. said:

I know he won the baby Giro. Just doesn't seem to have overly translated to the elite level beyond the Alpe d'Huez stage. He hasn't really tried either. Maybe for someone that talented it comes down to choice. He may be good enough to be a Pinot or Gaudu, maybe even better. He could also have the punch to rival Alaphilippe, Valverde, Roglic, Mollema and even MvdP (less power, less weight compared to MvdP) in the Ardennes or hilly classics.

I think he'll look at Geraint Thomas as an example and play around with all sorts before focussing on GC in his mid to late twenties.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    m.r.m. said:

He seemed to struggle with the big accelerations put in by Vingegaard and Pogacar in the Tour, which was surprising as I'd always thought of him as more of a puncheur than a Thomas-style tt climber.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Should be a busy day for announcements

First up, Kristoff to Uno-X confirmed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    m.r.m. said:

He was a 22 year old (turned 23 on Saturday) in his second GT and first Tour so it's probably to early to judge him on that. Bernal was 15th in his first Tour and won the following year.

I think that because we've seen GTs won by people in their early 20s so much recently we've started to think riders have to win at that age to be considered a future contender.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    edited August 2022
    I don't think any of them were also riding MTB, CX......Give him a few years more riding & mixing disciplines before riding GTs seriously. He's doing it his own way, and so far is being successful.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Leo Hayter to Ineos
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    neonriver said:

Leo Hayter to Ineos

Full contract or stagiaire?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    daniel_b said:

neonriver said:

Leo Hayter to Ineos

Full contract or stagiaire?
    Both. Stagiare then full contract in 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Heh. There was a recent interview with the Hayter bros where they suggested they should probably ride on different teams as they were most competitive against each other 😅
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2022
    Eddie Dunbar to Bike Exchange, through til 2025.

Good support for Yates.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

He seemed to struggle with the big accelerations put in by Vingegaard and Pogacar in the Tour, which was surprising as I'd always thought of him as more of a puncheur than a Thomas-style tt climber.
    Lifting the watts after being close to limit for 20 mins compared to surging off a cagey run in following a 10 min effort I guess ... Riders power profiles are quite varied I suspect
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791

Heh. There was a recent interview with the Hayter bros where they suggested they should probably ride on different teams as they were most competitive against each other 😅

I didn't realise there was more than one till recently .. talk out about our the loop
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    daniel_b said:

Good support for Yates.

Feels like he never really got a chance at Ineos. I thought he was going to be a bit of star.
  • Kristoff to Uno X on a 3 year deal
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    edited August 2022
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

Good support for Yates.

Feels like he never really got a chance at Ineos. I thought he was going to be a bit of star.
    Agreed, I thought he really shone with some stand out performances in the early days, and then the races he was picked for seemed to be less and less high profile.

Good move for him, I think he'll get some decent opportunities with BEX - and still only 25 or something, plenty of races ahead of him.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    He was flying going into the 2020 giro. Then he crashed and broke something. It isn't all about him not been picked.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • m.r.m.

Kristoff to Uno X on a 3 year deal

Would have loved to see him go to QS. Bit out of left field, but would be interesting to see if their overall team strength could revive him for the classics. They are lacking a bit in someone who can consistently pull of a victory in the cobbled classics. Not that Kristoff is that person, but he could maybe bridge the gap until someone else could be found.
  • Mike Teunissen to Intermarche
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Could be a good move for him; former yellow jersey wearer, back in 2019....but has been injured and struggling for form.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."