2022 Transfers: Rumours & Facts

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    RichN95. said:

Some riders take a long time to mature ... G is one of those . Froome too really

But Sivakov was the best u23 GC of his year, the son of two pros (a lot of early bloomers have pro parents or good contacts). Even then he was 9th in the 2019. He's not really kicked on. He has had some bad luck though, in contrast to TGH's great luck.

Thomas was an Olympic champion at 20 but didn't try GC until late and Froome came from a cycling backwater with next to no cycling education.
    Sivakov has had some bad luck though, in contrast to TGH's great luck.
    I was thinking about this today . Sastre. Cadel Evans ..., Hard to dig into the 90s jaja rominger riss et Al may be on some other graph

I would argue Yates is one . Slowly building strength and deep fitness
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2022

I was thinking about this today . Sastre. Cadel Evans ..., Hard to dig into the 90s jaja rominger riss et Al may be on some other graph

In terms of age, Roglic was a late comer. Purito Rodriguez didn't have a GT top ten until he was 29 (and he finished with 12). Hesjedal also got his first top 10 at 29, won the Giro at 31. And Wiggins of course.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941

phreak said:

gsk82 said:

Sivakov won't ever be a fully supported GT leader for them. I'm not convinced he'll ever be relied upon in the way Porte has been either. I find it difficult to see any of their current riders as a GT leader for them because the aim has to be to beat Pogacar.

I can see him probably going the way of someone like Dombrowski, who was also very good in the juniors but is now just a stage hunter. Maybe both would have benefited from being at a smaller team where they could have leadership roles with less pressure, like Hugh Carthy, where top 10s are a good return without ever really threatening the top step.
    I remember Tao talking about staying at (then) Sky with the aim of moving up the chain of mountain doms. I know Ineos have reconfigured their tactics since the "all in for plan A mountain train" days, but I'm not sure I've ever seen Sivakov take the last mountain dom role consistently as Porte, Poels etc did. I think that's possibly the tell.
    He often seems to crash in the first week of the GTs he's been in so he hasn't had the chance, but in the Giro thus far he hasn't ever really gone very far in either Etna or Blockhaus. It's hard to make the case for him moving up the pecking order when old guys like Pozzo are still comfortably outclimbing you.
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

In terms of age, Roglic was a late comer. Purito Rodriguez didn't have a GT top ten until he was 29 (and he finished with 12). Hesjedal also got his first top 10 at 29, won the Giro at 31. And Wiggins of course.
    Riis is an obvious one, but, erm, yeah. Chris Horner probably fits into that absurdly dubious late bloomer bracket too.

How old was Duclose-Lasselle when he won his first Roubaix, 35? (that he won it again the next year puts him above flukes like Hayman.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    Merlier rumoured to have signed for Leferve next season, team name is likely to be Soudal-Quick Step I believe.

It'll be interesting to see what this means for Cavendish, who wants to ride for at least one more season.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I feel a bit for Sivakov... especially as I'd tipped him to the be the next French winner of the Tour.
  • phreak

I feel a bit for Sivakov... especially as I'd tipped him to the be the next French winner of the Tour.

He had a really promising 2019 but then crashed on the first stage of the 2020 Tour before crashing out of the 2021 Giro as well and he's not really returned to that 2019 level. You could argue that TGH has had a similar regression though. Since they were 1 and 2 at the Tour of the Alps in 2019 he's only really had the Giro as any result of note and you'd place both a way down the GC pecking order at Ineos behind Bernal, Carapaz, Yates, Porte, Thomas etc.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    phreak said:

He had a really promising 2019 but then crashed on the first stage of the 2020 Tour before crashing out of the 2021 Giro as well and he's not really returned to that 2019 level. You could argue that TGH has had a similar regression though. Since they were 1 and 2 at the Tour of the Alps in 2019 he's only really had the Giro as any result of note and you'd place both a way down the GC pecking order at Ineos behind Bernal, Carapaz, Yates, Porte, Thomas etc.
    At least three of whom are likely to be elsewhere in 2023.
  • andyp
    Source? Because everything I've seen recently suggests that both Carapaz and Yates could be staying with Ineos, and both Bernal and Thomas are under contract for next season. Only Porte is definitely set to be elsewhere for certain.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I thought Porte was retiring?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    daniel_b said:

Which is 'elsewhere'
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    andyp said:

Source? Because everything I've seen recently suggests that both Carapaz and Yates could be staying with Ineos, and both Bernal and Thomas are under contract for next season. Only Porte is definitely set to be elsewhere for certain.

If your reports are recent, they're probably better than mine which are not.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    UAE Emirates have signed current CX Junior World Champion, Jan Christen to a longer term deal until 2027.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771
    andyp said:

I've seen something suggesting A Yates back to BikeEx
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    RichN95. said:

daniel_b said:

Which is 'elsewhere'
    True. I interpreted elsewhere as 'another team' though :)
    I wonder if he will stay with Ineos but as a trainee DS or similar.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Mollema extends with Trek to 2026, long extension for someone his age
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Tom Dumoulin to retire at the end of the season
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    Not a surprise but he has been in limbo for a while mentally. The Giro obviously decided it for him but he gave a glimpse of his old skills in that breakaway his team mate won. Tom always looked superb on the tt bike. But glad he has come to terms with himself
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,307
    edited June 2022
    Big win for them in terms of a rider but arguably a step down for him. Might be good tho. Still have to beat the likes or Pog and Rog.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505
    Also heard suggestions Rodriguez leaving as well with Yates extending.

Carapaz I can understand, but not the other two.

They must be really confident that Bernal can come back and challenge Pog or do they have something else up their sleeve?
  • andyp
    roscoe said:

Also heard suggestions Rodriguez leaving as well with Yates extending.

Carapaz I can understand, but not the other two.

They must be really confident that Bernal can come back and challenge Pog or do they have something else up their sleeve?

Rodriguez is under contract for another season.
  • andyp
    Stefan Kung being linked with Trek-Segafredo for 2023.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    andyp said:

Stefan Kung being linked with Trek-Segafredo for 2023.

DSM too
  • andyp
    Another VCL alumni, Thomas Gloag, currently of Trinity Racing, is said to have signed for Jumbo-Visma. He was heavily linked to Ineos, having been on at least one training camp with them.
  • andyp
    And, surprisingly, Lorena Wiebes is leaving DSM, destination currently unknown but it must be one of the better funded women's teams. She is the best sprinter in the sport right now.
  • andyp said:

And, surprisingly, Lorena Wiebes is leaving DSM, destination currently unknown but it must be one of the better funded women's teams. She is the best sprinter in the sport right now.

SD Worx is the rumour I've seen. Another get out of a DSM contract
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    DSM are so strange. They consistently find great talent, but can never keep them and it mostly seems like the riders don't even leave them on good terms...
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    Ben Swift has joined the Isle of Man somehow