mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Where's he going then?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    mrb123 said:

Where's he going then?

Total Energies apparently

Also reported that Narvaez is going to Movistar
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    dannbodge said:

Sagan has just posted that he's not renewing with Bora.
    So that's confirmed

"petosagan Today, I would like to announce that a cycle is closing in my professional career and that I will not renew my contract with @borahansgrohe beyond the end of the 2021 season.

I would like to express my appreciation to Ralph Denk, Willi Bruckbauer, the team sponsors, all my teammates, and the entire staff of BORA-hansgrohe for their support and their confidence in me during these five seasons. We have achieved so many things and even in difficult times, we stuck together. I think that we weren't just teammates, we were part of a big family.

I have no doubt that the five seasons I spent in BORA-hansgrohe were among the most prolific of my career and some of my most memorable moments happened during that period. I became the first rider to claim three consecutive World Championships, I had the honor of winning @parisroubaixcourse. I scored my 100th professional victory while wearing the BORA-hansgrohe colors, I won my record-breaking seventh green jersey in the @letourdefrance and my first ever ciclamino jersey in the @giroditalia.

However, after a long and thorough discussion with my own management and under a mutual agreement with BORA-hansgrohe, we came to the decision that it would be best if my cycle in the team came to a close and that a new chapter opened in my career. Change is part of life and growth.

I'm sure BORA-hansgrohe will continue to be successful and I wish them all the best in the coming seasons."

Long winded way of saying 'Bora wouldn't give me €5m a year any more, so I'm off. Juraj, get your coat.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,608
    Wonder what firepower you can get for Sagan's salary.
  • yorkshireraw

You'd imagine a few existing guys (Pollit being one) would be looking for an elevated role and more $.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104

Aren't they rumoured to be in for Almeida, Hindley, Higuita, Sam Bennett and possibly Vlasov?
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 463
    andyp said:

Aren't they rumoured to be in for Almeida, Hindley, Higuita, Sam Bennett and possibly Vlasov?
    Cycling news reckon Higuita and Hindley already signed
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,578
    edited July 2021
    Aussie Luke Plapp joining Ineos as a stagiaire.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    Bryan Coquard to Cofidis (replacing Viviani?)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,485
    daniel_b said:

Aussie Luke Plapp joining Ineos as a stagiaire.

Had to look him up and looks like he is fairly typical Sky / Ineos signing albeit from an Aussie rather than BC background (trackie and time triallist). Surprisingly little in the way of results on the international stage though. I wonder what they've seen in him to offer him a WT spot?
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Pogacar signed up to UAE for 7 years.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253

A lot because you aren't paying for his posse which famously includes a hospitality manager
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    He really is a total fuckwit.
  • yorkshireraw
    Pross said:

He really is a total fuckwit.

Indeed - I've said it elsewhere but he has so little self awareness that he will never understand that perhaps the reason he's always scraping the barrel on sponsorship, despite having the best all round property (team) to sell to potential partners, is no serious major brand would touch him with a bargepole. He's toxic.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    If I were a current sponsor I’d be firing some large shots across his dinosaur-shaped bows.

The absolute twat.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited July 2021
    The think people are missing on this Lefevere thing is that it wasn't in a interview, it was newspaper column which will have been ghostwritten. So there's a journalist involved in this and his/her job is to get a controversial column which gets a reaction. That journalist or the editor could have said 'Patrick, you can't this' which would have been a sensible way to deal with it. But there's probably someone pushing and coercing him into saying these things. Almost every journalist will throw someone under a bus for good copy.

So I see journalists up in arms about this demanding sponsors fold the team but secretly they think that it's a brilliant column because of the attention it's attracted.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    edited August 2021
    RichN95. said:

The think people are missing on this Lefevere thing is that it wasn't in a interview, it was newspaper column which will have been ghostwritten. So there's a journalist involved in this and his/her job is to get a controversial column which gets a reaction. That journalist or the editor could have said 'Patrick, you can't this' which would have been a sensible way to deal with it. But there's probably someone pushing and coercing him into saying these things. Almost every journalist will throw someone under a bus for good copy.

So I see journalists up in arms about this demanding sponsors fold the team but secretly they think that it's a brilliant column because of the attention it's attracted.

But he's a grown man who can speak for himself. Not a woman suffering abuse. He shouldn't be so mentally weak. He's the mentally weakest team principle I've come across.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    Gianni Moscon being heavily linked to DQS.
  • andyp
    Not a transfer, but Koen de Kort is taking up a equipment sourcing role for Trek-Segafredo. This was planned before his accident, apparently.
  • andyp
    And Lorenzo Fortunato, Zoncolan stage winner in the Giro, has signed a two year extension with Eolo-Kometa.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    RichN95. said:

The think people are missing on this

I think people are viewing this through an anglo-saxon lens. This kind of thing doesn't raise a lot of eyebrows in much of Europe, indeed probably people will agree with Pat. :o

Back to facts, Sam is going back to Bora because Ackermann and Sagan are leaving so he sees a place for himself at the team now. Time will tell if Bennett is mentally fragile or not, he clearly has had some issues at his two most recent teams but he probably needs a bit of TLC, not his boss (or ex boss) to be slagging him off in the media.

Of more concern, is it even legal to comment on the mental health of former employees like that? I don't think Lefevere is a psychologist is he?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyp
    Bennett's return to Bora-Hansgrohe confirmed:

• andyp
    Should've added that he'll be joined by Shane Archbold, Ryan Mullen and Danny van Poppel.
  • Confirmed at last:

C’est avec une immense fierté que le Team TotalEnergies annonce la signature de @petosagan pour deux saisons.
    🇸🇰 𝐕𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐣𝐭𝐞 𝐏𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐫 !
    👉 https://t.co/Teo0jTk796#AllezTotalEnergiespic.twitter.com/CWhU89wZWF

— Team TotalEnergies (@TeamTotalEnrg) August 3, 2021

With Bodnar, Oss and Specialized

Sagan moves to Total Energies with Macej Bodnar and Daniel Oss, plus the team will race on Specialized bikes and use Sportful kit. He will pick and choose his calendar, aims to race MTB and gravel too

— the Inner Ring (@inrng) August 3, 2021
  • andyp
    Michael Storey and Quentin Pacher to join FDJ-Groupama.

• andyp
    edited August 2021
    And Jai Hindley, Sergio Higuita and Marco Haller to Bora-Hansgrohe.

• Pross
    Ineos seem to be quite so far and have a lot of riders out of contract next season. I guess this means that they are expecting to re-sign many of those not yet confirmed?
  • andyp
    I think they are waiting to see what Thomas and Moscon decide to do before making any moves. We know Dennis is leaving and I believe Sosa is moving on, Wurf is retiring and they always renew riders quietly and without fanfare, so I'd expect them to extend contracts on key riders like Castroviejo. Rumour has it that Narvaez and Swift have already agreed extensions.