Markle 3 - 0 UK press
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

Good news Piers isn't changing his mind. Good on him.

All this woke victimhood is tedious. She was an actress. its one of the ways they get ahead. The other is nobbing princes https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56343768

It's got absolutely nothing to do with woke. He called her a liar and has no evidence for that. It's about him sulking because she cut him off and his ego not being able to take it.
    As opposed to her calling people whatever she wants without any proof but we have to believe her?
    You don't have to believe her no, but you should be open minded when someone says they've been suicidal and a victim of racism.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

All this woke victimhood is tedious. She was an actress. its one of the ways they get ahead. The other is nobbing princes https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56343768

It's got absolutely nothing to do with woke. He called her a liar and has no evidence for that. It's about him sulking because she cut him off and his ego not being able to take it.
    As opposed to her calling people whatever she wants without any proof but we have to believe her?
    You don't have to believe her no, but you should be open minded when someone says they've been suicidal and a victim of racism.
    That didn’t work out so well for Lance when he played the cancer card.
    But maybe that’s one for the irony thread.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

Not sure it's comparible and pretty sure Lance never suffered racism. Lance was a doper, a cheat and had a lifetime of misleading people. What did Meghan do to start getting abuse? She was born mixed race and dared to marry a prince.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    She's a bit of a diva, apparently.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

Not sure it's comparible and pretty sure Lance never suffered racism. Lance was a doper, a cheat and had a lifetime of misleading people. What did Meghan do to start getting abuse? She was born mixed race and dared to marry a prince.
    You've lost me with the use of hindsight, after requesting open mindedness.
    Anyhow, I wasn't interested in them when they were a royal couple, so I am even less interested in them now.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

shortfall said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

You've lost me with the use of hindsight, after requesting open mindedness.
    Anyhow, I wasn't interested in them when they were a royal couple, so I am even less interested in them now.

Tbh, I had no idea that l Lance played that card. So really shouldn't have commented back

I really didn't follow the whole thing that closely or professional cycling as a whole.
    I like bikes and I like to ride my bike.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    People should remember Morgan was a tabloid editor of a newspaper actively hacking phones. He either did not know how his staff got stories which is incompetence on a grand scale or he is a liar. Maybe it is ironic him calling Meghan a liar.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    Maybe he's been listening to what she says about him in private.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    I'l just put om my asbestos suit for when I get flamed by the usual suspects.
    But regarding the incendiary claim that someone wondered how dark skinned the baby would be.
    When Mrs BM was pregnant, we, including extended family, wondered which physical characteristics the kids would inherit, who would they take after etc What colour hair, whose nose and all that.
    In a mixed race relationship, why is it so odd that people would wonder about which characteristics a baby will inherit? Skin colour being the most obvious one.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,025

But regarding the incendiary claim that someone wondered how dark skinned the baby would be.
    When Mrs BM was pregnant, we, including extended family, wondered which physical characteristics the kids would inherit, who would they take after etc What colour hair, whose nose and all that.
    In a mixed race relationship, why is it so odd that people would wonder about which characteristics a baby will inherit? Skin colour being the most obvious one.

Perhaps they should have had a shade reveal party. ;)
    But seriously, that was my first thought, that someone was innocently speculating. Did they also ask if it would be ginger? I doubt if we will ever know.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,533

They didn't say what was actually said so you can speculate as much as you want to make you feel your position is right about it, but you won't be any nearer to what happened.

For all we know they said "oh my god let's hope the baby is white". You don't know, I don't know.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

They didn't say what was actually said so you can speculate as much as you want to make you feel your position is right about it, but you won't be any nearer to what happened.

For all we know they said "oh my god let's hope the baby is white". You don't know, I don't know.

True, and we’ll almost certainly never know.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    elbowloh said:

david37 said:

elbowloh said:

david37 said:

He said he didn't believe a word of what she said. What evidence does he need for that?

I think she's a calculating untrustworthy manipulative trout. there's plenty of evidence for that.
    You can take that paragraph, swap the "she" for "he" and there's a lot more evidence for that. Remember what he got sacked from the Mirror for?

Should never have been allowed to work in the media again after that.
    Morgan should have been put in the same position he put the lads in after that disgusting piece let alone not being able to work in the media.

morgan is a disgusting lizard. long may he rot.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

Well that seems to be an issue with the interview, the half reveal, the insinuation and the faux shock from the interviewer.
    If you are going to make revelations/claims say it. Say who said what.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,731
    You still seem to think you're the audience that they were trying to reach.
  • rick_chasey

Well that seems to be an issue with the interview, the half reveal, the insinuation and the faux shock from the interviewer.
    Yeah this seems to have bugged you. I'll refer you to the Olusoga comment I mentioned upthread.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

To say Oprah was less than forensic in her questioning would be something of an understatement, and that's being charitable.
  • rick_chasey
    shortfall said:

To say Oprah was less than forensic in her questioning would be something of an understatement, and that's being charitable.
    Well yeah.

For Americans the royals are celebrities. They're not part of the fabric of the nation or the history.

It's entertainment.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    In all this it is assumed that Meghan and Harry are mere plebs. If the claim is true that someone queried the babies colour in a manner that is rascist both of them are in a good position to shut that down. If it is a staffer do we really believe that Harry has not got the power to influence that person's propsects. If it was a family member it should have been called out at the time. The whole thing is an embarrassment for all concerned.
  • rick_chasey
    I guess for Americans it's like a B rate Kardashian family feud.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    john80 said:

In all this it is assumed that Meghan and Harry are mere plebs. If the claim is true that someone queried the babies colour in a manner that is rascist both of them are in a good position to shut that down. If it is a staffer do we really believe that Harry has not got the power to influence that person's propsects. If it was a family member it should have been called out at the time. The whole thing is an embarrassment for all concerned.

I tend to agree. Although as far as I'm concerned, the inference can be taken that the comment was made by either his dad, or his brother. I think he mentioned in the interview that he was 'rebuilding' relationships with both of them at the moment - so calling them out as potentially racist during the interview might not have been the best way forward...
  • rick_chasey

john80 said:

I tend to agree. Although as far as I'm concerned, the inference can be taken that the comment was made by either his dad, or his brother. I think he mentioned in the interview that he was 'rebuilding' relationships with both of them at the moment - so calling them out as potentially racist during the interview might not have been the best way forward...

The terms of this law are simple and universal: they state that a white person or institution accused of racism has suffered far more than a black person who has been the victim of racism.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,525
    The current culture of Internet shaming means that in many cases, individuals can suffer greatly from being racist or (if I'm being contentious) being seen to be racist.

Being racist on twitter can see you getting sacked which is disastrous on an individual level. Whereas having one racist joke made about you probably doesn't do extreme harm.

Of course, over time lots of racist abuse is going to be awful for anyone's mental state.

So what's the answer? I don't have a clue.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019

john80 said:

The terms of this law are simple and universal: they state that a white person or institution accused of racism has suffered far more than a black person who has been the victim of racism.

Its an opinion but not one I agree with. If you are accused of racism you can suffer quite a bit even if you had no racist intent whatsoever - Danny Baker being a case in point related to the royals.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    Jezyboy said:

The current culture of Internet shaming means that in many cases, individuals can suffer greatly from being racist or (if I'm being contentious) being seen to be racist.

Being racist on twitter can see you getting sacked which is disastrous on an individual level. Whereas having one racist joke made about you probably doesn't do extreme harm.

Of course, over time lots of racist abuse is going to be awful for anyone's mental state.

don't be racist?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    lol but the victims of racism, meh.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,051

I don't think it is at all unusual (if a bit thoughtless), which makes it all the more ridiculous that people are outraged by the suggestion that it happened. Putting aside whether it happened, 'concerns about...' doesn't sound like just curiosity, but who knows what was said. It's also possible one part of the family just misunderstood the other. None of us have any idea.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,019
    ddraver said:

Jezyboy said:

don't be racist?
    Like Danny Baker? Obviously don't be racist but for me he wasn't racist and he lost his job/career over accusations of racism and has to live with the stigma of that. I use that example as it relates to Meghan and Harry.

Individual cases have to be taken as such.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

She's a bit of a diva, apparently.

Bullied her household staff apparently. but I think that's alright for out of touch divas in the states. Par for the course to abuse the Mexican hired help