The Royals

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Was about to say similar to Pross based on the assumption that there is some research done, and just the way they act, body language etc. They are not like "us".
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

Saw a video of old Harry interviews - a string of about 5 or so, from when he was a lot younger, often about the his time in the army and/or the press.

"well I want to go away and get away from Britain"

"I'd be enjoying it if the press left me alone"

"I really don't like Britain and all the lies the press say all the time".

In one, the reporter says "his contempt for the press is plain for all to see"

I mean, he was literally telling people he wanted out.

He could have gone to his granny and said that he was now a longshot at being king and would like to concentrate on his army career. Perhaps he told everyone except the one person he needed to.
    I don’t think this is how it works
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

I didn't realise they all did that curtseying and bowing sh1te behind closed doors too - I assumed that was just for show.

Imagine having to bow to your grandmother when you pop round for a cuppa.

Do they? Got a link?

Not watched the interview, just absorbed it through osmosis because this nonsense is all pervading.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Saw a video of old Harry interviews - a string of about 5 or so, from when he was a lot younger, often about the his time in the army and/or the press.

He could have gone to his granny and said that he was now a longshot at being king and would like to concentrate on his army career. Perhaps he told everyone except the one person he needed to.
    His aunt and uncles certainly had lower profiles as they dropped down the batting order.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

His aunt and uncles certainly had lower profiles as they dropped down the batting order.
    How likely is it that if the Queen was bowled, that William would come in as a nightwatchman?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    elbowloh said:

How likely is it that if the Queen was bowled, that William would come in as a nightwatchman?
    I think you need to see Charlie as the longstanding vice captain finally getting his chance and then volunteering to step aside
  • ballysmate
    Unlikely at most.
    Even if Charles got out for a duck and the grim reaper was on a hat trick, Harry would still only be mid order.
  • kingstongraham

Unlikely at most.
    Even if Charles got out for a duck and the grim reaper was on a hat trick, Harry would still only be mid order.

Nuclear strike on London and he's in.
  • kingstongraham

Unlikely at most.

Unless President Windsor ordered it. That might be awkward.
  • elbowloh
    Nick Robinson signed off from the Today Programme this morning by saying i'm not taking this, i'm leaving...

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter

Unlikely at most.

these things can go in clusters, it is entirely feasible that William, wife and many kids could go together.

If Harry then turned it down would the nonce be next in line?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It would be hilarious if after all this Harry becomes King...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh

Unlikely at most.

Ive seen a documentary on this kind of scenario. In that case, John Goodman steps up.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    elbowloh said:

Nick Robinson signed off from the Today Programme this morning by saying i'm not taking this, i'm leaving...

If only he would.
  • ballysmate
    ddraver said:

It would be hilarious if after all this Harry becomes King...

:)
    Would certainly be ironic, I grant you.
    Being as they wanted out altogether would they turn the top job down? Mind you, their desire for privacy seems to be on the wane already.
  • ballysmate

Unlikely at most.

these things can go in clusters, it is entirely feasible that William, wife and many kids could go together.

Archie

Or there is an outside bet that Charles could declare when is mother is out. Innings closed.
  • ddraver
    About the only thing he would have power over would be that though...
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham

Unlikely at most.

Archie

Or there is an outside bet that Charles could declare when is mother is out. Innings closed.
    If he decides he and his son (and daughter) are out completely, it's Prince Andrew next, isn't it?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited March 2021
    elbowloh said:

Good
    Piers Morgan has quit GMB

he is scum who deserves a million kickings.

notwithstanding all he has done since, the fake story at The Mirror should have ended him.

total lizard
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ballysmate

Unlikely at most.

Archie

If he decides he and his son (and daughter) are out completely, it's Prince Andrew next, isn't it?
    Yep, the nonce comes into bat at No.8. Bats with the tail, so to speak.
  • ddraver

Markle 2 - 0 Society of Editors

I'm actually starting to be interested... The press are beginning to realise that the people are really not on their side
    - @ddraver
  • elbowloh
    ddraver said:

Markle 2 - 0 Society of Editors

I'm actually starting to be interested... The press are beginning to realise that the people are really not on their side
    No, I don't think they do realise. They just trying to cover their arses until it blows over.

Nothing has really changed as a result of the phone hacking scandal and nothing will come of this.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    The press have a bigger problem in that younger generations aren't interested in them.

The readers of newspapers are very much the older generation. That's partly why you see so many newspapers pushing old views that land on that side of the culture war (which in reality is a proxy generation challenge and the boomers aren't going down without fighting).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    edited March 2021
    Watched the interview, have watched The Crown up to the 1960s, don't read tabloids.

I don't really get who or what The Firm are trying to protect. It's a fair assumption that they believe in the institution of the monarchy - but in what way does refusing to compromise over the role Harry and Meghan help that?

Beyond that who is actually making the decisions. I mean what power within the institution did The Queen ever have given she was a young woman when she took over but now she's in her 90s who is pulling the strings and to what end?

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I saw the majority of the interview last night. Main thoughts after watching it were ....

1- Oprah very much acted as a safe harbour. Even where there were discrepancies in the accounts H & M gave she didn’t pick up on them.

2- It struck me that H should really have known the implications of choosing to step down from public life, but either he was ignorant of these, or chose not to ask, or didn’t absorb the information when he was told. The cost of security is a case in point - he seemed ignorant of the reality that the cost of security is taxpayer funded, but appeared to expect that funding to continue irrespective of whether he was a serving royal or not.

I don’t think anyone has an issue with H & M choosing to step away from a royal role - in fact, pretty much everyone I know doesn’t blame him for wanting to do it. But why make such a big song and dance about it?

Final point - he mentions how he was “cut off” financially by his family, and security wasn’t funded, so he had no option but to sign huge contracts with Netflix and Spotify to enable him to pay for security. It really doesn’t require a $100m contract to fund security. Absolutely no issue with you going it alone H, but we aren’t stupid.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    PR move by Megan to get the us public on side to increase their value over there.

Again can't blame them based on how horrific the UK media is
  • surrey_commuter

I saw the majority of the interview last night. Main thoughts after watching it were ....

1- Oprah very much acted as a safe harbour. Even where there were discrepancies in the accounts H & M gave she didn’t pick up on them.

2- It struck me that H should really have known the implications of choosing to step down from public life, but either he was ignorant of these, or chose not to ask, or didn’t absorb the information when he was told. The cost of security is a case in point - he seemed ignorant of the reality that the cost of security is taxpayer funded, but appeared to expect that funding to continue irrespective of whether he was a serving royal or not.

I don’t think anyone has an issue with H & M choosing to step away from a royal role - in fact, pretty much everyone I know doesn’t blame him for wanting to do it. But why make such a big song and dance about it?

Final point - he mentions how he was “cut off” financially by his family, and security wasn’t funded, so he had no option but to sign huge contracts with Netflix and Spotify to enable him to pay for security. It really doesn’t require a $100m contract to fund security. Absolutely no issue with you going it alone H, but we aren’t stupid.

Haven't seen the interview, the Crown and don't read tabloids

Isn't the whole point of Oprah to be a safe harbour as that is how she lands the big names? LA and Tiger spring to mind
  • ballysmate

Isn't the whole point of Oprah to be a safe harbour as that is how she lands the big names? LA and Tiger spring to mind
    She is hardly Paxo is she?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789

"Come to me, cry on my shoulder and share your woes."
    Basically.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    pblakeney said:

"Come to me, cry on my shoulder and share your woes."
    Basically.
    Ironically Piers Morgan did very similar with his Life Stories thing. He would ask the "tough questions" but it was obviously always planned for the guest to get it off their chests in a way where they controlled the narrative (and they seemed to always get an easy ride from Morgan after doing the show).