The Royals

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537

Pross said:

I suggest going on Tuesday, the queues will be gone by then. Alternatively you can buy a coffin, drape it in flags and leave it in your living room. It makes no difference, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the one that everyone is visiting is actually empty anyway with the body being kept somewhere a bit quieter.

I did wonder if it was an open casket as it was was Elvis died but I guess that's not very CofE.
    Pffffft utter snowflakes. Need to go full on Irish Catholic, open casket in the deceased's front room while everyone stays the night reminiscing/getting leathered. Would have been wrapped up by now as well :D
    Communist style has more long term tourism potential
  • Pross said:

I suggest going on Tuesday, the queues will be gone by then. Alternatively you can buy a coffin, drape it in flags and leave it in your living room. It makes no difference, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the one that everyone is visiting is actually empty anyway with the body being kept somewhere a bit quieter.

I did wonder if it was an open casket as it was was Elvis died but I guess that's not very CofE.
    Pffffft utter snowflakes. Need to go full on Irish Catholic, open casket in the deceased's front room while everyone stays the night reminiscing/getting leathered. Would have been wrapped up by now as well :D
    hypocritically I have seen Lenin. Can't remember the queue but can't remember it being very interesting.

I can't even remember if I saw Uncle Ho, I have a feeling my visit coincided with his "holiday"
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

hypocritically I have seen Lenin. Can't remember the queue but can't remember it being very interesting.

I can't even remember if I saw Uncle Ho, I have a feeling my visit coincided with his "holiday"
    I had seen the big four, but annoyingly it became the big five.
  • The Times says the latest estimate is 17 to 35 hours waiting in a queue, and if 750,000 do turn up, more than half won't get in because there's only time for 350,000 to file past.

• TheBigBean

The Times says the latest estimate is 17 to 35 hours waiting in a queue, and if 750,000 do turn up, more than half won't get in because there's only time for 350,000 to file past.

This sounds like an example of a calculation that doesn't consider people's tolerance to queue. Who is going to wait 35 hours?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199

The Times says the latest estimate is 17 to 35 hours waiting in a queue, and if 750,000 do turn up, more than half won't get in because there's only time for 350,000 to file past.

This sounds like an example of a calculation that doesn't consider people's tolerance to queue. Who is going to wait 35 hours?
    How does one wait in a queue for 35 hours? Let alone why? My ageing bladder wouldn't like that at all.. ...and now I have a mental image of the sort of post Reading festival debris cataclysm...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

Have you seen some of the loons that go along to this sort of thing? Most won't do it though, the wife is certainly having second thoughts.
  • The Times says the latest estimate is 17 to 35 hours waiting in a queue, and if 750,000 do turn up, more than half won't get in because there's only time for 350,000 to file past.

my theory they are putting that number out there to deter people.

my other theory is that it will encourage people who want to be part of a historic thing. For ever more they will be be able to regale people with their story of how they stood in the longest queue in history, then when they reached the frnt they went back round and rejoined.
  • Pross said:

I feel like I have been in the second largest square in the world at least three times
  • TheBigBean

Pross said:

I feel like I have been in the second largest square in the world at least three times
    Wikipedia has a list. I have not been to the big two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_city_squares_by_size
  • Huhuh - you guys are the biggest squares in the world.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

Pross said:

Never realised there's a place in Azerbaijan called Ganja!
  • They need to kit out Westminster Abbey with a turbo charged airport travelator.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505

There was some woman in the radio yesterday who had already started queuing outside Westminster Hall . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    It needs a random trend line or it isn’t worth posting.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Getting really disheartened by the number of high profile US scholars and academics attributing all sorts of atrocities committed as part of the British Empire to the royals.

Absolutely not a royalist here - would happily see it all abolished - but I don't really see what they have to do with it.

If these scholars showed as much interest in the political system of the coloniser as they did in the colonised (as they are plainly related - this is common sense), they'd see what nonsense this all is.

Perhaps this is where some of the criticism of the politicisation and capture of US universities from their left comes form - it's really weird.
  • Pross said:

that means I was badly lied to in Havana, Mexico City and Beijing, the guides info has proved to be as misleading as one of Rick's charts
  • Getting really disheartened by the number of high profile US scholars and academics attributing all sorts of atrocities committed as part of the British Empire to the royals.

Absolutely not a royalist here - would happily see it all abolished - but I don't really see what they have to do with it.

If these scholars showed as much interest in the political system of the coloniser as they did in the colonised (as they are plainly related - this is common sense), they'd see what nonsense this all is.

Perhaps this is where some of the criticism of the politicisation and capture of US universities from their left comes form - it's really weird.

I think it is a valid question to ask how life would have been different if for example Victoria had opposed colonialism or took an active interest in how we treated the locals
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Victoria fine, but not QE2.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Getting really disheartened by the number of high profile US scholars and academics attributing all sorts of atrocities committed as part of the British Empire to the royals.

I think it is a valid question to ask how life would have been different if for example Victoria had opposed colonialism or took an active interest in how we treated the locals
    When you say locals are you meaning in the countries of the empire as opposed to UK locals. Those in the lower echelons of UK society weren’t treated that well either.
  • webboo said:

When you say locals are you meaning in the countries of the empire as opposed to UK locals. Those in the lower echelons of UK society weren’t treated that well either.
    Chuck the whole lot in if you want but I would say the average Brit looks for a toff so he can tug his forelock
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

webboo said:

Chuck the whole lot in if you want but I would say the average Brit looks for a toff so he can tug his forelock
    Have you travelled our fair land much?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

Pross said:

Man, I need to start seeing some squares!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974

Pross said:

Pross said:

Pretty poor performance by this country on the scale.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Just need to reclassify Hyde Park as a square.
  • Pross
    Slightly surprised to see Queens Square in Bristol is bigger than St Peter’s and nearly as big as Red Square. It has never felt that big to me.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Biggest square I've been to according to the list is Prato Delle Valle in Padova, I need to travel more.
  • morstar said:

webboo said:

Have you travelled our fair land much?
    I have seen the bunting in Wales