The Royals

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614
    edited September 2022

I am meantto be in the office tomorrow and quite looking forwrds to seeing the nutters close up.

Has anybody else been into Town and are the trains OK?

I'll tell you tomorrow. There's nothing on the usual websites about there being big problems.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • monkimark said:

I am meantto be in the office tomorrow and quite looking forwrds to seeing the nutters close up.

I rode (a motorbike) in today and the traffic was pretty bad (i ride along the south bank so got caught up in the tailbacks from the bridges being closed)

My wife got the train in this morning from Ashtead and no problems.
    Perfect
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,097

rjsterry said:

morstar said:

webboo said:

Getting really disheartened by the number of high profile US scholars and academics attributing all sorts of atrocities committed as part of the British Empire to the royals.

Absolutely not a royalist here - would happily see it all abolished - but I don't really see what they have to do with it.

If these scholars showed as much interest in the political system of the coloniser as they did in the colonised (as they are plainly related - this is common sense), they'd see what nonsense this all is.

Perhaps this is where some of the criticism of the politicisation and capture of US universities from their left comes form - it's really weird.

I think it is a valid question to ask how life would have been different if for example Victoria had opposed colonialism or took an active interest in how we treated the locals
    When you say locals are you meaning in the countries of the empire as opposed to UK locals. Those in the lower echelons of UK society weren’t treated that well either.
    Chuck the whole lot in if you want but I would say the average Brit looks for a toff so he can tug his forelock
    Have you travelled our fair land much?
    and can you think of another country in the world where JRM would not be a laughing stock and that no Govt would appoint his as they would get hammered at the polls.

As a nation, Brits love a toff to be subservient to
    They voted for the blond guy specifically because he was a laughing stock, so I'm not sure your argument works.
    I don'think you understand my argument as that would be the Eton and Oxford educated blond guy?

As a counter argument think of all the non-toff laughing stocks and see how far they got.

From the strange people sleeping rough to see a coffin to northerners voting for the anti-establishment Brexiteers there are a lot of people in this country who have a love of being deferential.

Consider this - when a member of our army dies why is so much more prominence give to the death of an officer?
    If you mean class is still an issue then I agree.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603
    Giving blood. 2 donors here and 5 staff. All watching the coverage on BBC.

Attenborough is commentating :D
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I am meantto be in the office tomorrow and quite looking forwrds to seeing the nutters close up.

I'm in the Big City today. Trains (ECML to KX) and tube to Baker Street were fine. Colleagues report pockets of griefp*rn related travel issues.

My train contained a fair few folk who I assume were heading for the back of the queue, as they were carrying huge bags with a deckchair tied on, and were giving off an air of essentially harmless weirdness.
  • I am meantto be in the office tomorrow and quite looking forwrds to seeing the nutters close up.

I'm in the Big City today. Trains (ECML to KX) and tube to Baker Street were fine. Colleagues report pockets of griefp*rn related travel issues.

My train contained a fair few folk who I assume were heading for the back of the queue, as they were carrying huge bags with a deckchair tied on, and were giving off an air of essentially harmless weirdness.
    many thanks. I am going into Waterloo and office is off the Strand so worryingly close to ground zero.

If these yokels are queueing in Bermondsey they may never be seen again :o
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Office update, the 3 over 50s in the office today have parked themselves in the communal area infront of the big TV to watch the procession stuff.

Rest of office at their desks working/writing on forums.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    What is that, the planned queue?
    My desk overlooks the bit near the Tate Modern, no sign of gawpers yet but I can see a couple of ambulances parked up.
    pangolin said:

LOL

• pangolin
    monkimark said:

What is that, the planned queue?
    My desk overlooks the bit near the Tate Modern, no sign of gawpers yet but I can see a couple of ambulances parked up.

pangolin said:

LOL

Yes planned/estimated
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • monkimark
    Yup, current tally is 2 ambulances, a van load of cops and a team from Thames Water setting up drinking water points. Seems a little early to be wasting 2 ambulances on a queue that isn't there.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393

many thanks. I am going into Waterloo and office is off the Strand so worryingly close to ground zero.

If these yokels are queueing in Bermondsey they may never be seen again :o
    Off to Australia House in the morning. Train into Waterloo and then walk across the bridge. No doubt dodging the coffin queue on the way!
  • Just came back from the City and had to travel through Waterloo. The station was busier than usual and lots of stewards in and around the station, in addition to more police than I've ever seen around these parts. Even spotted some Welsh constabulary taking pictures for tourists over Blackfriars Bridge. Lots of people incoming with bags, deck chairs, etc. It's likely to get mad in the next few days and thankfully I'm not back in until after the funeral. Glad I'll be away and I'll be out for a ride Monday morning - usually go up to Richmond park but I'm sure the Royal Stags would be in mourning and the park might be closed off.
  • Office update, the 3 over 50s in the office today have parked themselves in the communal area in front of the big TV to watch the procession stuff.

I think you need a new job if your colleagues are like that. Do you know a good recruitment consultant?
  • pangolin

Office update, the 3 over 50s in the office today have parked themselves in the communal area in front of the big TV to watch the procession stuff.

I think you need a new job if your colleagues are like that. Do you know a good recruitment consultant?
    That's unkind you know he doesn't.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160

Office update, the 3 over 50s in the office today have parked themselves in the communal area infront of the big TV to watch the procession stuff.

Thought you said you were looking forward to being able to see all the ceremonial stuff if you were in the office?
  • Pross said:

Thought you said you were looking forward to being able to see all the ceremonial stuff if you were in the office?
    he can't get to the office, the trains are fvcked
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

If it was St Paul's.
  • abishek_l said:

Just came back from the City and had to travel through Waterloo. The station was busier than usual and lots of stewards in and around the station, in addition to more police than I've ever seen around these parts. Even spotted some Welsh constabulary taking pictures for tourists over Blackfriars Bridge. Lots of people incoming with bags, deck chairs, etc. It's likely to get mad in the next few days and thankfully I'm not back in until after the funeral. Glad I'll be away and I'll be out for a ride Monday morning - usually go up to Richmond park but I'm sure the Royal Stags would be in mourning and the park might be closed off.

• monkimark
    I take back my comment about the ambulances arriving too early, the queue is currently backing up past the Tate Modern!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited September 2022
    edit - post moved to "mourning stupidity"

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • wwhy does nobody tell them that the uniforms and medals makes them look very tinpot
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,614

The funeral stuff only lasts for 2 more working days. it's all those unproductive skivers spending time on forums every working day that are a bigger concern.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle

as its not a bank holiday and we presume they aren't on their lunch hours we presume they will be making up the time they have wasted watching the telly?

after all, its nothing they couldn't have watched on iPlayer when they got home tonight.
  • rick_chasey
    Lol lads we don’t work for the govt. no one is clock watching. It’s about giving a sh!t / no sh!ts, not who’s a skiver.
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022

Lol lads we don’t work for the govt. no one is clock watching. It’s about giving a sh!t / no sh!ts, not who’s a skiver.

so they on't mind when you pull up s chair, pullout some vin rouge et fromage and watch a Tour stage or 21?

Mate, sounds like they are the workforce equivalent of malingerers.

mag to grid both of them.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    Ironically, they will be expecting us to be watching our monitors on Monday.
    I'll be on my bike to escape the house as the wife will be watching. All day.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,199
    When Phil the Greek snuffed it last year, that funeral Saturday I was out riding the Ridgeway rather than TV cuddling. There were a remarkably large number of people out walking, riding, sitting enjoying fresh air and sunshine.
  • MattFalle
    and your point is?

that's exactly how it should be - they are paid by the tax payer to work, not look out of the window.
  • MattFalle said:

and your point is?

that's exactly how it should be - they are paid by the tax payer to work, not look out of the window.
    If you wanted to audit the public sector and look for wastage, I'm not sure looking out of the window during a unique event would be the low hanging fruit.

Axing Jacob Rees Mogg would easily save a couple of hundred grand though, and also increase productivity.