The Royals

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    Not liking another bank holiday.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

Quite impressed that I've managed to avoid any TV or radio coverage of it so far. Out of respect.

i managed to avoid seeing any footage of chaz & di's wedding until well into the 2010s, then was deliberately ambushed, hadn't missed anything

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129

19th it is, official now.

avast, that clashes with international talk like a pirate day, we'll be missin' the funeral, arrr

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited September 2022
    Ok, but I would watch the funeral in that case,

"Avast ye scurvy dogs, we arrrr gathered here today in the sight of arrrr lord..."
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

In the spirit of 'The ToB doesn't come past my house'...turns out the funeral cortege will pass at the end of my street tomorrow on the way to Edinburgh. I'll give you all a wave - I'll be the one with the "Allez Opi-Omi" sign.

If we were doing a ‘post of the tour’ thread this is the winner.
  • Advanced alien civilisations intercepting our media streams, must be thinking, "I get it, the Queen was important and had a long reign, but come on, give it a bloody rest with the coverage!"
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615

Why?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,098
    Stevo_666 said:

Why?
    Because they cost a lot of money. Would have thought that was obvious.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo_666 said:

Why?
    Not great for an economy which is suffering and already had an extra bank holiday in June

I suffer all the downsides (school closed, nursery paid for, but closed etc.) and none of the upsides as my clients are not in the UK at the moment.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,615
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why?
    Never...

I was asking Bean about his position, not if it was good or bad for the UK economy.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why?
    It would also cost a lot of money when half the employees in the UK pulled a sickie.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why?
    It would also cost a lot of money when half the employees in the UK pulled a sickie.

I refuse to believe that more than 15% of the population will give a monkey’s and the majority of them will not be active members of the workforce
  • TheBigBean
    Saturday was an option as well.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    The economy of the Netherlands must be getting a boost from all those flowers.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

Saturday was an option as well.

I’m glad it wasn’t, we’re up there on Saturday and I would have been forced to stand somewhere on the route. Even now there’s talk of us queuing for hours to see the coffin. My mother-in-law couldn’t understand why we aren’t booking an extra night in the hotel so we can watch the funeral.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    edited September 2022
    I think it's very respectful of the rest of the world to put their activities on hold so that the BBC is not distracted from covering 'news' of people laying flowers, reminiscing and driving cars around slowly.

The older I get, the better I was.

• TheBigBean
    The UK economy grew by 0.2% in July, according to official data, following a sharp drop in the previous month.

The Office for National Statistics said the services sector was the biggest contributor to growth, helped by the UK hosting the Women's Euro Championship.

However, while the economy expanded in July, the growth was slower than analysts had expected.

Gross domestic product (GDP) fell in June due to the extra bank holiday for the Queen's Jubilee.

GDP - which measures all the goods and services produced by the UK - fell by 0.6% in June because of two fewer working days.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    How fragile does growth need to be that a bank holiday or two has an material impact?
  • TheBigBean

How fragile does growth need to be that a bank holiday or two has an material impact?

It's normal. Fewer working days. Nothing to do with fragility.
  • TheBigBean
    Is anyone planning to go the lying-in-state?
  • How fragile does growth need to be that a bank holiday or two has an material impact?

The impact of one working day appears more significant when the growth trend is low, though. e.g. June's GDP growth was non-trivially negative when without the BH, it would apparently have been flat. Somehow -0.4% rather than 0.0% feels worse (and certainly attracts more media comment) than 0.4% rather than 0.8% for example, even if things even out over the course of a longer time period.
  • Has a very measurable impact on anything in manufacturing.
  • TheBigBean
    edited September 2022

The impact of one working day appears more significant when the growth trend is low, though. e.g. June's GDP growth was non-trivially negative when without the BH, it would apparently have been flat. Somehow -0.4% rather than 0.0% feels worse (and certainly attracts more media comment) than 0.4% rather than 0.8% for example, even if things even out over the course of a longer time period.
    0.8% growth in a month would be pretty remarkable though when annualised.
  • Is anyone planning to go the lying-in-state?

I read the story about there being an expected 5 mile queue for the lying in state with waits of up to 20 hours. I guess there's a sense of wanting to be involved in a moment of history, but it's not for me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,161

My wife and daughter, I need to find something else to do in London for the hours they'll be queuing up. I might go to the IWM as I've never been before (assuming it is open).
  • TheBigBean
    If I could pop in at lunch time I might be tempted to see what's going on. Queueing makes it less appealing.

• Pross said:

My wife and daughter, I need to find something else to do in London for the hours they'll be queuing up. I might go to the IWM as I've never been before (assuming it is open).
    The IWM is awesome and as the queue is extimated at 20 hours you may have time to fully explore it. Churchill's war rooms is also very good.

Do you know why they want to look at a dead body as it feels very macabre to me.

I also hate queueing so even if you offered me £1k I would have to think about it
  • TheBigBean
    How has anyone managed to estimate the queue?
  • How has anyone managed to estimate the queue?

I think it's based on the assumption it will be loads more than for the Queen Mum twenty years ago.