The Royals

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,791
    Lol don’t be a prick
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited September 2022
    Getting sick of all the mainstream media bias trying to tell me what to think and how to feel. Isn’t it upto me how long I mourn for. Isn’t it upto me what I do on Monday and who are they to tell me what I should be doing?

If you need to ram your political message down peoples throats. Then it’s unpopular to start with.

Ironically the atmosphere in my city is the complete opposite to what the mainstream media portray.

People are more concerned with how they are going to pay their electricity bill.

I wonder how many of those in London are there for the novelty, because they see a big crowd of people and don’t want to miss out. Like those type of people who join a back of a queue only because they think it must be for something good at the end.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    They're getting dangerously close to over-egging it (if they haven't already). This is an institution that needs to be very careful of its image. If people start to roll eyes at them, the whole edifice could crumble rather fast...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,642
    Quite ironic that the two members of the Royals who have actually seen some action in the military were the only two not allowed to wear uniform in today’s procession.
  • ben@31
    Pross said:

Quite ironic that the two members of the Royals who have actually seen some action in the military were the only two not allowed to wear uniform in today’s procession.

What were Princess Anne’s medals for? What war has she fought in?

• Pross
    They’re civilian service medals apparently
  • ddraver
    Pross said:

This is exactly the sort of stuff I mean...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    OMG have you seen the live stream of people paying their respects?

Incredible
  • ddraver
    If there's ever a stage that needs the ITV4 highlights package...
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,739
    Just a thought but for everyone saying they don't understand The Queue, it's not really that different from any other pilgrimage, whether that is walking to Canterbury to see St Thomas Becket's tomb or Lourdes or Santiago.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,563
    I don't understand any of those things either but people think Lourdes is magic, does anyone think that the queen is magic?
  • It's Glastonbury for royalists, isn't it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,739
    edited September 2022
    monkimark said:

I don't understand any of those things either but people think Lourdes is magic, does anyone think that the queen is magic?

No. In each of those examples the pilgrimage itself is as important if not more so than reaching the destination. Nobody gets a taxi to Santiago - the whole point is that you walk and on the journey meet people and share the experience with them. I think it's more or less the same thing happening here, but over 2 or 3 miles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,324

Incredible

I think I just saw a bloke give an awkward little curtsy
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • monkimark said:

People think this is magic?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    rjsterry said:

monkimark said:

No. In each of those examples the pilgrimage itself is as important if not more so than reaching the destination. Nobody gets a taxi to Santiago - the whole point is that you walk and on the journey meet people and share the experience with them. I think it's more or less the same thing happening here, but over 2 or 3 miles.
    In the Tim Moore book about the camino, he discusses people doing exactly this...

(IMO it's a far superior book to French Revolutions)
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry said:

Just a thought but for everyone saying they don't understand The Queue, it's not really that different from any other pilgrimage, whether that is walking to Canterbury to see St Thomas Becket's tomb or Lourdes or Santiago.

The echo chamber here may not understand it, but they should understand that a whole lot of folks fall outside their demographic.
    It's not for me either, but I don't wish to criticise people who feel differently.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    ddraver said:

rjsterry said:

monkimark said:

In the Tim Moore book about the camino, he discusses people doing exactly this...

(IMO it's a far superior book to French Revolutions)
    The film "The Way" covers this. A better than expected Sunday afternoon/evening type of film. Much better than a funeral in any case. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,563

It's Glastonbury for royalists, isn't it?

That is the only thing I have queued anywhere near the anticipated queen queue length for (although it was a virtual queue), maybe you're onto something...
  • ben@31
    edited September 2022

Incredible

To be honest I haven’t seen the main stream media show any interview that doesn’t fit the narrative

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    edited September 2022
    The local royal fan has now been on all the local and national TV news programmes and papers. They are just desperately trying to fill these hours and pages.
    Wonder if other funerals for Monday are cancelled, pretty upsetting if they are.
  • bm5 said:

The local royal fan has now been on all the local and national TV news programmes and papers. They are just desperately trying to fill these hours and pages.
    Wonder if other funerals for Monday are cancelled, pretty upsetting if they are.

Yes, I've seen stories of exactly this.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    edited September 2022
    bm5 said:

They are. Which I find very, very disrespectful.
    Some are more equal than others. 🤬
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross said:

For some reason it always makes me think of Idi Amin.
  • rick_chasey
    If I'm being charitable, the death clearly brings back feelings of the deaths of people in their own lives (it certainly reminded me a lot of when my father-in-law died) and I can imagine those who are queiing to pay their respects are, tired, have those feeelings come back and then all the pomp and drama around it it can be super emotional.

If I'm being less charitable, all the ceremony and blanket coverage made/makes much more sense when the monarch had actual power. It's a little jarring with the reality nowadays.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    these fellas be well rocking the hats snd medals look

#aspirational

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Pross
    MattFalle said:

these fellas be well rocking the hats snd medals look

#aspirational

Probably doubles up as body armour when they are bravely leading from the front in battle.
  • Pross

If I'm being charitable, the death clearly brings back feelings of the deaths of people in their own lives (it certainly reminded me a lot of when my father-in-law died) and I can imagine those who are queiing to pay their respects are, tired, have those feeelings come back and then all the pomp and drama around it it can be super emotional.

If I'm being less charitable, all the ceremony and blanket coverage made/makes much more sense when the monarch had actual power. It's a little jarring with the reality nowadays.

I wonder if there is also an element of people using it as a proxy for the minimalist funerals they had to go through themselves during lockdown.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah I can totally imagine that.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Pross said:

I wonder if there is also an element of people using it as a proxy for the minimalist funerals they had to go through themselves during lockdown.
    no.

they're just a bit mawkish/weird/overly monarchial.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.