The Royals

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited September 2022
    dupe
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,033
    It really is a strange phenomenon the need to grieve for someone you don’t know. I respect what she has done and I think there was a genuine respect across the world for her as a leader but these people who drag their family to Windsor on a wet Thursday evening to lay a bouquet and have a cry are just nut jobs and really just want to make it about them.
  • Pross said:

It really is a strange phenomenon the need to grieve for someone you don’t know. I respect what she has done and I think there was a genuine respect across the world for her as a leader but these people who drag their family to Windsor on a wet Thursday evening to lay a bouquet and have a cry are just nut jobs and really just want to make it about them.

This in a nutshell. It's sycophantic, professional mourning. Only there to take a selfie and try and get on the TV.

I find the Queens passing sad but it is what it is. All grassroots sports off so no kids football for two weeks. Would have thought it better to have a minutes silence before the game Sunday as a mark of respect and then crack on.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,905

Pross said:

This in a nutshell. It's sycophantic, professional mourning. Only there to take a selfie and try and get on the TV.

I find the Queens passing sad but it is what it is. All grassroots sports off so no kids football for two weeks. Would have thought it better to have a minutes silence before the game Sunday as a mark of respect and then crack on.
    Except that there was similar public grief for the deaths of preceding monarchs. Definitely no TV or selfies for Victoria.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,783

All grassroots sports off so no kids football for two weeks. Would have thought it better to have a minutes silence before the game Sunday as a mark of respect and then crack on.

What's the odds on premier moneyball matches being cancelled this weekend?
  • I don't understand why sport is being cancelled.
  • orraloon said:

All grassroots sports off so no kids football for two weeks. Would have thought it better to have a minutes silence before the game Sunday as a mark of respect and then crack on.

What's the odds on premier moneyball matches being cancelled this weekend?
    Guaranteed to be off for the next two weeks. Be some fixture congestion with the World Cup coming up fast.

Out of respect - same vibe:

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Except that there was similar public grief for the deaths of preceding monarchs. Definitely no TV or selfies for Victoria.
    It was pretty much expected back then though and you would have been seen as a bit of a traitor if you hadn't worn black etc. I can understand people feeling sad, the Queen has been around as a symbol of some kind of stability for the entirety of most people's lives, but with a lot of these things they don't come across as spontaneous acts of grief. The millions wasted on flowers when Diana died could have been used far better if people had just privately donated to one of the charities she supported but other people were being shown laying flowers on TV so the sheep mentality cut in.
  • I still don't get it. Not doing an entirely unrelated thing...

Today I will not have bovril on my toast as a sign of respect.
  • I still don't get it. Not doing an entirely unrelated thing...

A touching tribute. It's what she would have wanted.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,117
    The coverage doesn't help itself sometimes.

I think more people would be happier for a more sober, less hagiographic approach.

I get they need to fill the time and saying nice things about the recently deceased is the cultural de-facto, but less fawning and more reporting, on what we can expect to happen etc would be better received.

The rolling cast of the same posho commentators saying things that are really setting the bar incredibly low feels really grim in the context (like, come on, you really think the Queen has an "incredible sense of humour"? What you mean is she's not totally po-faced).

There's a lot to say about how Britain has changed over the period, how the era will become defined, her impact on the monarchy blah blah.

It doesn't all have to be cliches about duty etc, which is just a weird way of saying "poshos born into money don't always have to work for it if they can't be bothered".
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,794
    Pross said:

People grieve over the deaths of all sorts of random people e.g. World Trade Centre attack.

Come, come, now we don't want people getting distracted and enjoying themselves, at this time of compulsory grief.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently the Tour of Britain was cancelled because the rozzers are needed back in London.
  • Pross

Apparently the Tour of Britain was cancelled because the rozzers are needed back in London.

Which is odd as they come from various forces around the UK and, I believe, are taken from staff who volunteer and would otherwise not have been on duty. Cancelling out of respect makes more sense than that reason.
  • Just over a week and 25 years since Diana's death, can't remember much besides waking to an instrumental version of Kiss From A Rose on the morning radio and thinking "Uh oh, what's happened?" The house share was quite sombre on the day of her funeral. Probably too stoned at the time to recall much else that was going on!

A little sad for Liz to meet her maker, even seems so surreal given how chipper she looked in the photos from Tuesday, albeit a bit frail and a bruise on the back on her right hand.

But she had a damn good innings and just avoided having to send a telegram to herself by Special Delivery.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,360
    Aviva homepage. This large black area usually shows my pensions but never mind...

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,360
    Text at the bottom:

We are incredibly sad to hear of the passing of Her Majesty the Queen. We’d like to express our sincere condolences and sympathy to the Royal Family. Queen Elizabeth personified dedication, duty and service.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,794
    London zoo is closed today and the day of the funeral. The Queen did visit the zoo. It only usually closes on Christmas day. Its car park is being used by the police to prepare for the funeral.
  • Pross

Pross said:

People grieve over the deaths of all sorts of random people e.g. World Trade Centre attack.
    Yep, it's not an opinion I hold solely for the Royals it is a general thing. That's not to say I didn't find the WTC attack shocking and have sympathy for the victims, I've visited the memorial to get an idea of the scale of destruction and read some of the dedications to victims which brought a tear to even my eyes but I didn't feel a need to make a trip there specifically for that or to lay a bouquet. I suppose my own hypocrisy in this would be Rememberance Day but I do think that is genuinely different.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,009

I still don't get it. Not doing an entirely unrelated thing...

A touching tribute. It's what she would have wanted.
    I suspect she was more stoic than that.
    Would probably prefer a mark of respect and get on with it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    Quite looking forward to the new notes and coins etc.
  • Pross
    To give an idea of how long she reigned, if William became king now he would be the 11th oldest monarch on ascension to the throne as her grandson (Charles is the oldest by 9 years).
  • Quite looking forward to the new notes and coins etc.

How are they going to make Beaker look anything other than a Muppet?
  • I was going to harp on about imagining taking on the position at 73. Then the cogs started to turned...Biden's 79!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,897
    Funnily enough were headed over to a cemetery today as Mrs. 666 wants to pay her respects to her old dear and do the annual tidy up of the grave. Beats watching the news just now.

Probably a good time to catch up on a few things on Prime Video and Netflix over the next week or two.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey

Quite looking forward to the new notes and coins etc.

How are they going to make Beaker look anything other than a Muppet?
    Side on hides the ears.
  • I don't understand going to 24 hour news instead of the usual programming for this story that is not really going to develop very quickly. Go full on for sombre music if you think Homes under the Hammer is disrespectful.
  • Pross

I don't understand going to 24 hour news instead of the usual programming for this story that is not really going to develop very quickly. Go full on for sombre music if you think Homes under the Hammer is disrespectful.

Yeah, I felt sorry for the newsreaders yesterday as they had to just keep repeating the same thing over and over. Even before the official announcement they had it covering the entire schedule, why not just carry on with normal programming and then interupt it when there was finally news. In this day and age it is easy enough for people who are desperate for updates every minute to find the information.