The Royals

Comments

• So far cancelled is the Mercury music prize, celebrity masterchef and the rail strikes. It's what she would have wanted.

Pretty much all of tomorrow's sport is gone and I'd guess most of the weekend's too.
    Of course football isn't affected.

You will all mourn, one way or another.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross said:

King Charles III sounds odd. It takes me until a June each year to get used to the new year so god knows how long this will take. We’ll probably get King William V just as I get used to it.

On the bright side, spaniels are going to become very fashionable.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited September 2022

So far cancelled is the Mercury music prize, celebrity masterchef and the rail strikes. It's what she would have wanted.

Pretty much all of tomorrow's sport is gone and I'd guess most of the weekend's too.

I was glad they didn't shut down iplayer as a mark of respect.
  • I actually think it'd be a vote winner - keeping the monarch b

Pross said:

I'm by no means anti-royalist but I find the people who are starting to gather outside Buckingham Palace a bit batshit. Even if she was there it would be odd behaviour but when she is 500 miles away it is totally bizarre.

assuming it is worse than for Diana buckle yourself in, as that will not even touch the side of the madness to come

It won't even come close - of course the BBC will maintain the charade.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I am sure they are missing something here.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Pross said:

King Charles III sounds odd. It takes me until a June each year to get used to the new year so god knows how long this will take. We’ll probably get King William V just as I get used to it.

Have there really been 3 other King Ws since the conqueror..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

So far cancelled is the Mercury music prize, celebrity masterchef and the rail strikes. It's what she would have wanted.

Be interesting to see if Tenby Ironman goes ahead. Most of those taking part entered for 2020 originally. It’s a lot of training to have cancelled again let alone cost to the organisers and loss of income to the town. ToB stage tomorrow cancelled and decision to be made on remaining two stages.

I’m supposed to be moving my daughter into her Uni accommodation in London next weekend which appears likely to be when the funeral will take place.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,762
    edited September 2022
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Conqueror's son (rufus), then him of Orange (aka "and mary"), and then the old guy who took over because the Prince off blackadder didn't have kids.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Yes, but only for a grand total of 31 years.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

I had to look it up. William III didn’t sound right.
  • Pross
    Dickheads in the background on camera outside Buckingham Palace just getting their selfies for their ‘soshuls’
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,618

Every cloud...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    Sad thing is that I doubt she would want everything to come to a halt.
    I'm probably wrong, but that's my impression.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Strike's cancelled as a mark of respect. Pull the other one. Strike's cancelled as we've lost the news cycle and nobody is paying attention to us.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,102
    edited September 2022
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Yes. One was his son. Then the double act of William and Mary and another Will before Victoria.

William, William, Henry, Stephen, Henry, Richard, John, oi! Henry, Ed, Ed, Ed, Rich 2 and 3 more Henry's Join our song...

And we can now refer to ourselves as Carolingians, which is nice.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Huw Edwards has put in a bloody good innings.
  • Pross said:

Be interesting to see if Tenby Ironman goes ahead. Most of those taking part entered for 2020 originally. It’s a lot of training to have cancelled again let alone cost to the organisers and loss of income to the town. ToB stage tomorrow cancelled and decision to be made on remaining two stages.

I’m supposed to be moving my daughter into her Uni accommodation in London next weekend which appears likely to be when the funeral will take place.
    Within two weeks is the official line atm.
    I'm off to Mallorca next Friday, so hoping they can hold it back until I have left the building.
  • Huw Edwards has put in a bloody good innings.

His 'serious face' (including eyebrows) have had a lot of practice for this moment.
  • I suppose I'd probably not get away with posting funny cat videos on Facebook today... jeepers, I've got (mainly) sensible friends, but the timeline is absolutely saturated this morning with vicarious grief. Ugh.
  • I suppose I'd probably not get away with posting funny cat videos on Facebook today... jeepers, I've got (mainly) sensible friends, but the timeline is absolutely saturated this morning with vicarious grief. Ugh.

I realise I lose respect for people who post that cr4p.

My SiL is the sort of tvvat who camps out on the Mall, as my opinion is “I wouldn’t string them up” it is a subject we avoid

My SiL is the sort of tvvat who camps out on the Mall, as my opinion is “I wouldn’t string them up” it is a subject we avoid

I'm just scrolling past very quickly, as I just can't stand it, and excuse them as it seems to be a modern social media 'thing', and nearly all of my FB friends are people who are friends in real life and whose friendship I value.

Thankfully, I've not got any who bang on about how great Brexit is, as I might find that a bit more difficult to ignore.

I might stick to my French FB persona rather more for the next few days, as long as they don't keep sending condolences for someone I've never met.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603

I suppose I'd probably not get away with posting funny cat videos on Facebook today... jeepers, I've got (mainly) sensible friends, but the timeline is absolutely saturated this morning with vicarious grief. Ugh.

I'm just scrolling past very quickly, as I just can't stand it, and excuse them as it seems to be a modern social media 'thing', and nearly all of my FB friends are people who are friends in real life and whose friendship I value.

Thankfully, I've not got any who bang on about how great Brexit is, as I might find that a bit more difficult to ignore.

I might stick to my French FB persona rather more for the next few days, as long as they don't keep sending condolences for someone I've never met.
    Sorry to hear this Brian. :'(
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201
    Our thoughts and prayers are with Brian. Not, not that one, this one.

And I spy the random flagger is back again. Ho hum. In this tine of communal sorrow etc etc
  • pangolin said:

I suppose I'd probably not get away with posting funny cat videos on Facebook today... jeepers, I've got (mainly) sensible friends, but the timeline is absolutely saturated this morning with vicarious grief. Ugh.

Thanks, that means a lot to me.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,603

pangolin said:

Thanks, that means a lot to me.
    🙏
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    You’re all on Facebook.

This makes much more sense now.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    They've cancelled the rest of the Tour of Britain.

I wonder if football will follow suit?

The older I get, the better I was.

• Thoughts and prayers for those affected by the outpouring of grief
  • Check out @Grievewatch on Twitter.