The Royals

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926
    edited September 2022
    She didn't get involved with politics (we know the trouble that causes) and conducted her duties till the very end.

More importantly she led by example. Remember Covid.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

orraloon said:

Aye well, there's Spotify, iPlayer... I'll not be putting on 'live' radio.

It's all over YouTube live streams too.
    Every American news outlet is leading with it.
    Fortunately the iPlayer is showing the final of Diamond league athletics season.
    Is it back!? I was watching that when they stopped broadcasting for Queenie.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • What a first week in the job for Truss
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross said:

two friends of friends say she has passed a couple of hours ago

Looks like they knew their stuff.
    when it came from two unconnected sources it seemed nailed on
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694

What a first week in the job for Truss

I heard there's footage of her when she was a Lib Dem arguing to abolish the monarchy. First full day in the job and she's killed the queen. Whoops.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Cruise through this being dignified and respectful. No politics to do and she’ll gain the love of middle England. It’s an absolute gift for her.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,395
    3 days of mourning for her in ..... Brazil.
    Lead story on all news channels across the world at the moment and the front page of every newspaper in the world pretty much.
  • Operation Unicorn it is. The English Gammon will be apoplectic.
  • 3 days of mourning for her in ..... Brazil.
    Lead story on all news channels across the world at the moment and the front page of every newspaper in the world pretty much.

Not really surprising...

1) She's been around a long long time in the public gaze, and even if you don't do 'royals', especially in the modern world, she's part of that history (whether you like it or not).

2) It's diversion from wailing about how the whole world seems to be going to hell in a handcart, and the modern world seems to have this thing about mourning famous people they've never met. I know I'll get a lot of 😭 comments from my French followers, and they went chopping off royal heads.
  • I guess the cost of cremations is going to go up sharply.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Cruise through this being dignified and respectful. No politics to do and she’ll gain the love of middle England. It’s an absolute gift for her.
    Could do with explaining how she’s funding the largest single fiscal expansion but anyway
  • Dorset_Boy

3 days of mourning for her in ..... Brazil.

Not really surprising...

1) She's been around a long long time in the public gaze, and even if you don't do 'royals', especially in the modern world, she's part of that history (whether you like it or not).

2) It's diversion from wailing about how the whole world seems to be going to hell in a handcart, and the modern world seems to have this thing about mourning famous people they've never met. I know I'll get a lot of 😭 comments from my French followers, and they went chopping off royal heads.
    She has met more people than most who have walked this earth....
  • Is Brian the oldest king-at-accession?

(PS, if you don't know what this 'Brian' thing is, you obviously don't read Private Eye.)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976

Could do with explaining how she’s funding the largest single fiscal expansion but anyway
    Which is exactly why this situation is a gift to her, the ultimate distraction.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy

Is Brian the oldest king-at-accession?

(PS, if you don't know what this 'Brian' thing is, you obviously don't read Private Eye.)

Yes according to TV5 France
  • Is Brian the oldest king-at-accession?

Yes according to TV5 France

The French do seem to have a thing about the Royal Family - my neighbours seem to know more about what's going on than I do.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,201

Oh, so it's not you.
  • focuszing723
    edited September 2022

Hang on, I thought you were all about spending Government/Public money on anything to stimulate the economy? To quote you "it doesn't matter what on".

If that's the mentality, paying it off is irrelevant isn't it, whenever.
  • orraloon said:

Oh, so it's not you.
    I'm not as old as the other Brian. It would also probably be frowned on to spend too much time in France, so I might turn the job down anyway.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Hang on, I thought you were all about spending Government/Public money on anything to stimulate the economy? To quote you "it doesn't matter what on".

Well we don’t know yet!

For all we know it’s a massive tax!
  • What a first week in the job for Truss

Well we don’t know yet!

For all we know it’s a massive tax!
    How can it be a massive tax with inflation running as it is? Russian/Ukraine is going to last for years dragging Europe with it.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    It's my sons wedding tomorrow. We (him, me, ushers and best man) were in the pub this evening when the news came through, it was an odd atmosphere.

The older I get, the better I was.

• focuszing723
    edited September 2022
    It's going to be interesting to see how King Charles III deals with his duties, will he be able to contain his strong beliefs and follow in the Queens impartial footsteps?
  • capt_slog said:

It's my sons wedding tomorrow. We (him, me, ushers and best man) were in the pub this evening when the news came through, it was an odd atmosphere.

Hopefully everyone has the good sense to know that your family is much more important than the Windsors, and will celebrate such an important event heartily. If some want to mourn, they can do that another time, even if some reference is made (it would be hard not to, I suspect. Maybe you could have a charity bucket for mentions of Queenie tomorrow...
  • And grrr, the lady at the Co-op checkout was trying to make small talk about Queenie... FFS, I don't do small talk at the best of times when I'm stuffing stuff in my rucksack while not trying to drop my phone and card, and definitely not about mass grieving, at any time, with anyone.

Just take my money and ask me if I want the receipt, thanks.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,976
    I'd suggest that the time for mourning is the funeral.
    I'd like to think it could be contained to one day but know that I will be disappointed.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • So far cancelled is the Mercury music prize, celebrity masterchef and the rail strikes. It's what she would have wanted.
  • Perhaps we can console ourselves with the thought that maybe she was determined to hang on long enough that Johnson wouldn't lead the mourning as PM. I suspect she didn't care for him in the slightest, to put it mildly, given how he trampled conventions. At least it's a jolly nice coincidence of timing, the day after Johnson had F'd off into the sunset.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

Perhaps we can console ourselves with the thought that maybe she was determined to hang on long enough that Johnson wouldn't lead the mourning as PM. I suspect she didn't care for him in the slightest, to put it mildly, given how he trampled conventions. At least it's a jolly nice coincidence of timing, the day after Johnson had F'd off into the sunset.

Quite ironic that her last public duty was getting rid of a PM who partied illegally while she had to sit alone at her husband’s funeral and the PM who had lied to her face.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    King Charles III sounds odd. It takes me until a June each year to get used to the new year so god knows how long this will take. We’ll probably get King William V just as I get used to it.