The Royals

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    orraloon said:

Tashman said:

Is the Royals a nickname for a football team?

As FA says, Reading FC although I've always preferred The Biscuitmen as the proper nickname. He's also correct that not many care :smiley:
    Had a pee through the gate of their training ground last Saturday after the brewery visit to Siren Craft plus their neighbours Elusive Brewing before boarding the bus back into Reading. 40 mins on bus is 40 mins innit, better prepped than sorry.
    are you sure you don't support Swindon/Oxford :)
  • rjsterry said:

Short of state repossession on death, what do you suggest? Like I said, they tried that in Russia. The poor stayed poor and a slightly different small group of people grabbed all the money.

We have tried it in this country, from the late 19th century into the middle of the 20th century. It was known as death duty and after it was intruduced it was repeatedly hiked up until the toffs had to sell their homes to stay solvent. I don't recall any major ill effects upon the general population and it certainly kept the money moving in the economy. We have pulled back a long way from those days and the monied elite are getting too comfortable again.

• Tashman said:

Back to back wins for the first time in forever last night. Happy days :)

new manager bounce?

rjsterry said:

Short of state repossession on death, what do you suggest? Like I said, they tried that in Russia. The poor stayed poor and a slightly different small group of people grabbed all the money.

We have tried it in this country, from the late 19th century into the middle of the 20th century. It was known as death duty and after it was intruduced it was repeatedly hiked up until the toffs had to sell their homes to stay solvent. I don't recall any major ill effects upon the general population and it certainly kept the money moving in the economy. We have pulled back a long way from those days and the monied elite are getting too comfortable again.

LOL -the only time the toffs paid it and lost their country piles was when WW1 messed up their tax planning
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    edited February 2022
    wrong thread

• Lol. Who cares about the toff nonce's.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Anyone think the Queen not attending the State opening of parliament was a bit of a snub to Johnson for lying to her? She seemed fine at the two public events she has done since. Could hardly blame her for treating him with contempt.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Pross said:

Anyone think the Queen not attending the State opening of parliament was a bit of a snub to Johnson for lying to her? She seemed fine at the two public events she has done since. Could hardly blame her for treating him with contempt.

I read the parliament gig had more walking, standing and stairs involved in the protocol. I'd be happier if it was a snub though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,681
    Pross said:

No. Think the state opening requires a bit of a walk and she did the Queen's speech immediately after the prorogation dispute.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

I read the parliament gig had more walking, standing and stairs involved in the protocol. I'd be happier if it was a snub though.
    Gives plausible deniability. Her reaction to Omid Djalili's joke was quite amusing.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Gives plausible deniability. Her reaction to Omid Djalili's joke was quite amusing.
    I'd have to take enough interest to have heard the joke first.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,832
    Pross said:

There’s no doubt that she prefers the horseys to donkeys.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,445

Pross said:

There’s no doubt that she prefers the horseys to donkeys.
    I thought they were asses not donkeys?

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    Turns out you can’t get odds on the queen dying
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 613

Munsford0 said:

If the queen dies before May will the teachers have to give/work their free day back?

If she hangs on until June will we get jubilee, funeral and coronation?

No sign of us getting an extra day off; the whole thing happens bang in the middle of our half term break so we'd have been off anyway... :(
    Unless you're an academy, you should be getting that extra day somewhere.
    It's optional apparently.
    Somebody here reckons we do get the extra day somewhere. panic over!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

not sure who you would expect to lay that bet
  • rick_chasey

More around timing - I was wondering what the odds were for her snuffing it this year
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Randy Andy has got covid . That is handy for everyone. Is it just me that thinks "covid ,my asze"
  • Pross
    lesfirth said:

Randy Andy has got covid . That is handy for everyone. Is it just me that thinks "covid ,my asze"

Nope, was my first thought too. If he has got it at least the under 16s are being vaccinated now.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,851
    lesfirth said:

And Liz won't be attending St. Pauls tomorrow because of discomfort... Let's hope this isn't Covid from seeing Andy a few days ago.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Bread and circuses aided by the BBC. when Liz has died let's review the whole thing but the powers that be will be happy to avoid that discussion
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160

More around timing - I was wondering what the odds were for her snuffing it this year
    Now #12 on Deathlist 2022, up from #24. Surprised the dirty digger isn't in the top 50. He's only got to fall over again and the fat lady can start singing - in my expert opinion.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,721
    Word from a senior UK meejah person via a family contact is that Brenda has leukaemia. News embargo obvs. What's the odds showing vs the Death List?
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    September/October? Latest pictures not at all encouraging. And really, what has she to hang around for except to rubber stamp Johnson's criminalities?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

September/October? Latest pictures not at all encouraging. And really, what has she to hang around for except to rubber stamp Johnson's criminalities?

Annoy Charles, obviously
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,949
    Except they were donations to his charity, not gifts to him.
    That said, accepting cash for any large sum is highly niaive, but then Charles doesn't carry cash and never has.
  • rick_chasey
    lol because sheikhs are known for their casual philanthropy, especially for British charities.

🫠
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

lol because sheikhs are known for their casual philanthropy, especially for British charities.

🫠

....and definitely weren't expecting anything in return...
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,775
    Interesting timing for this story to break out as it happened 2011-15. Do they keep these nuggets in their back pocket until they need a threat / distraction. Hmmmm…