The Royals

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

Jezyboy said:

If it wasn't for our current foodie ways and desire for avocados young people would famously be able to afford to get on the property ladder.

and the weather would be cooler
    What I'm hearing is money spent on avocado is money saved on Central heating.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,027
    mrb123 said:

elbowloh said:

Turnips were available in Regency times for sure. Saw it in Blackadder.

All those veggies listed were available when i was a child in the 80s! I know as they were all put on my plate at various times and i refused to eat them all.

Maybe they were available, certainly swede was available... but nobody wanted to eat turnips... I mean, who wants to eat turnips?
    The Scottish.
    Neeps are Swedes I think - we used to have neeps and tatties all the time as kids and I'm pretty sure it was mostly orange which would be swede?

Turnips were more for making lanterns out of on Bonfire night - none of this pumpkin nonsense back then.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

mrb123 said:

elbowloh said:

All those veggies listed were available when i was a child in the 80s! I know as they were all put on my plate at various times and i refused to eat them all.

Maybe they were available, certainly swede was available... but nobody wanted to eat turnips... I mean, who wants to eat turnips?
    The Scottish.
    Neeps are Swedes I think - we used to have neeps and tatties all the time as kids and I'm pretty sure it was mostly orange which would be swede?

Turnips were more for making lanterns out of on Bonfire night - none of this pumpkin nonsense back then.
    A vexed question it seems...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/25/neeps-swede-or-turnip
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

Or in other words, up yours.

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.
    Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.
    Time to move on and cook that winning Masterchef meal.

What's the problem with Masterchef?

It's 2.5 hours a week on one channel for a few weeks and maybe some viewers take inspiration and improve their eating habits, which can only be a good thing in a nation that up to 20 years ago could barely reheat food from a tin. Programs like that (and many others of course ) have done a lot, in my opinion. Don't think that people knew what celeriac was... I still remember when I moved to the UK and all you could buy, in terms of fresh veg, were potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage...
    Swede, leaks, sprouts, turnips, parsnips, cauliflower, marrows were all commonplace in my local greengrocer in the 70s. Food may have been quite basic back then but on the whole it would have been lower fat and sugar than most of the fancy stuff they cook on Masterchef. Just because something has exotic ingredients, is served with a jus and looks like a piece of modern art doesn't make it any healthier. The downfall is the massive rise in convenience food since the 80s.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I watched a few old cooking videos with michelin starred chefs.

"just use a bit of butter, not too much" - lobs a whole bar into the pan
    on making mash potato: "you want about 1:1 potato : butter ratio, ideally"
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I watched a few old cooking videos with michelin starred chefs.

"just use a bit of butter, not too much" - lobs a whole bar into the pan
    on making mash potato: "you want about 1:1 potato : butter ratio, ideally"

That's what my chef mate tells me too!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    Yep, the amount of butter and oil that gets used in the dishes that Ugo claims helps us Brits improve our eating habits is obscene. There's a reason those sorts of meals are tasty and it it isn't entirely due to the fresh exotic ingredients.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    elbowloh said:

pangolin said:

Was this during rationing ugo?

Just after...

It was 21 years ago, but outside of London. In London you could already buy everything, but supermarkets in Sheffield were so basic...
    To find some decent veg, we had to go to a hippy Vegan shop (before it was fashionable!) called Beanies... apparently it still exists, now they even have a posh website

https://www.beanieswholefoods.co.uk/
    My mother came over about 30 years ago or so.

Can confirm she felt the same.
    I can cope with an Italian sneering at our cuisine but not the Dutch.

Down south things got better in the early 90s
    Haha.

She had a blazing row with a friend's mother when she heard she'd fed me coca cola and fairy cakes aged 4.

She was *horrified* when she heard that kids were given sweets when we went on school trips and not fruit or sandwiches.

She could not believe how unhealthily children were fed here.
    We certainly weren't given sweets!
    You'd school trips?

We couldn't go anywhere....all the buses had been burnt
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    I agree, fine dining is extremely unhealthy, but so is convenience food, microwave meals and take away. The idea is that through these programs, people get interested in cooking and once you have the confidence that you can cook a dish from raw ingredients, then you can progress to cook healthily.
    Of course, some of these masterchef contestants went on to become 20 stones, but they would have become 20 stones anyway... by eating McDonalds instead of buttery mash
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    Plus the 11 course tasting menu tends to be an occasional treat rather than daily dining. The portions aren't usually massive either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    mrb123 said:

Plus the 11 course tasting menu tends to be an occasional treat rather than daily dining. The portions aren't usually massive either.

A segue back onto the royals - what are these guys eating day-in-day-out?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,027
    mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

elbowloh said:

The Scottish.

A vexed question it seems...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/25/neeps-swede-or-turnip

I admit for years I had no idea why people would talk about swede for school dinner but at home it was neeps which I took to mean turnip - but it was the same thing.

I still have never tasted celeriac that Ugo mentioned . I think my tastes were formed early from having a mum that grew up in a Scottish tenement (before they were gentrified with indoor bathrooms) before moving to a prefab council estate in her teens.

If Rick is horrified by sweets on a school trip when we used to visit my grandparents the ice cream van (Palombos) used to do 3 trips round the estate every day and at least one of those you'd get an ice cream, maybe a double nougat (Google it you'll be horrified), and a bottle of red cola (wasn't keen on Irn bru) which you'd then use some of to pour over a bit of your ice cream in a pint glass to make it all froth up.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Pross said:

Yep, the amount of butter and oil that gets used in the dishes that Ugo claims helps us Brits improve our eating habits is obscene. There's a reason those sorts of meals are tasty and it it isn't entirely due to the fresh exotic ingredients.

I found my interest in cooking through necessity and many self catering holidays in France and Italy. Those two countries improved my eating habits.
    Even many of the basic recipes on the BBC good food site have quantities of saturated fat that exceeds the recommended limits for several days intake.
    I suspect that if I relied on cookery shows to dictate my eating habits, I would have had a heart attack by now.

It's nonsense in any case. Rank varys somewhat but the same favourite dishes feature in top 10 UK surveys now as always .
    Fish and chips, curry, shepherd's pie, steak and kidney pie, roast dinner, full English etc.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

Probably more banqueting than the average serf but on the whole they're not a particularly chubby bunch I would say.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Celeriac... it's a lot of prep work to get the thing in a state where you can boil it or roast it or whatever... then it needs a fair bit of mashing if boiled and a fair bit of fat to make it delicious...
    With that amount of butter, cardboard is delicious too.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

mrb123 said:

https://youtu.be/ammbKPg0aqw

Popped up on my youtube homepage the day after he died.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Celeriac... it's a lot of prep work to get the thing in a state where you can boil it or roast it or whatever... then it needs a fair bit of mashing if boiled and a fair bit of fat to make it delicious...
    With that amount of butter, cardboard is delicious too.

Grate it and put through coleslaw (goes nicely with apple)
    Delicious through mashed potato (with a bar of salted butter)
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.
    Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.

It's 2.5 hours a week on one channel for a few weeks and maybe some viewers take inspiration and improve their eating habits, which can only be a good thing in a nation that up to 20 years ago could barely reheat food from a tin. Programs like that (and many others of course ) have done a lot, in my opinion. Don't think that people knew what celeriac was... I still remember when I moved to the UK and all you could buy, in terms of fresh veg, were potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage...
    Swede, leaks, sprouts, turnips, parsnips, cauliflower, marrows were all commonplace in my local greengrocer in the 70s. Food may have been quite basic back then but on the whole it would have been lower fat and sugar than most of the fancy stuff they cook on Masterchef. Just because something has exotic ingredients, is served with a jus and looks like a piece of modern art doesn't make it any healthier. The downfall is the massive rise in convenience food since the 80s.
    Those are all British foods surely we are talking about exotic foreign foods like the previously mentioned avocado or fresh pineapples.
  • ugo.santalucia

Pross said:

Those are all British foods surely we are talking about exotic foreign foods like the previously mentioned avocado or fresh pineapples.
    Tomatoes, peppers, salad other than iceberg, romanesco, sweet potatoes, pak choi, all stuff that is now grown even over here...

Same for bread, now you have a choice, often even freshly baked, at the time it was white sliced loaf or brown sliced loaf in a plastic bag... you could choose Hovis or Warburtons or the even cheaper supermarket brand one...

It was dire... I am sorry to be the one who feels let down when he doesn't find sourdough toast... but I am!

• How appropriate, that a thread about the Royal family suddenly turned into a discussion about vegetables…
  • ugo.santalucia

How appropriate, that a thread about the Royal family suddenly turned into a discussion about vegetables…

How appropriate, that a thread about the Royal family suddenly turned into a discussion about vegetables…

he thing about The Crown that did strike me the most was that the Queen never had formal education in school... I found it really odd
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Pross said:

Tomatoes, peppers, salad other than iceberg, romanesco, sweet potatoes, pak choi, all stuff that is now grown even over here...

Same for bread, now you have a choice, often even freshly baked, at the time it was white sliced loaf or brown sliced loaf in a plastic bag... you could choose Hovis or Warburtons or the even cheaper supermarket brand one...

It was dire... I am sorry to be the one who feels let down when he doesn't find sourdough toast... but I am!

My folks were growing tomatoes, peppers, melon, aspargus in the early 70s in their garden & greenhouse.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Pross said:

Are you sure you weren't living in some sort of twilight zone? Thats not how i remember it at all!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia

Pross said:

My folks were growing tomatoes, peppers, melon, aspargus in the early 70s in their garden & greenhouse.
    But not selling them to the Cooperative in Broomhill, clearly...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Fair to say that people may have different experiences and therefore opinions?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Are you sure you weren't living in some sort of twilight zone? Thats not how i remember it at all!
    Even here in the backwoods of Wales people would make an early morning trip to the baker's for fresh bread. OK it might not have been gluten free, vegan friendly artisan bread from flour ground between uncut diamonds but it was bloody lovely (with proper butter). We could even got wholemeal as well as 'brown' and possibly even granary.

We'll be told that you couldn't get herbs over here next but my mum used to pick mint from our garden.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    13.6 million watched the old boys funeral live; 11 million of those on the BBC.

Majority rules.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

pangolin said:

Was this during rationing ugo?

Just after...

It was 21 years ago, but outside of London. In London you could already buy everything, but supermarkets in Sheffield were so basic...
    To find some decent veg, we had to go to a hippy Vegan shop (before it was fashionable!) called Beanies... apparently it still exists, now they even have a posh website

https://www.beanieswholefoods.co.uk/
    That's a blast from the past, I used to live round the corner on Harcourt Road at around the same time.
    Looks like they've moved a few doors up since then.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

13.6 million watched the old boys funeral live; 11 million of those on the BBC.

Majority rules.

4 million Brexiteers have some explaining to do
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!