The Royals

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,632
    edited December 2021
    john80 said:

Given 2 of the 4 accused have so far been found guilty for running a paedo ring, I’d at least like a proper investigation.

It would also do wonders to show that they, the royals, in their privileged position (which is not deserved - they have not earned it) are not above being fairly investigated.

A page back you thought the queen was in on it and should answer questions. Should I be allowed to ask you relatives whatever I like about you life and cast aspersions in the media along the way. Seems reasonable.
    Am I a royal?

Different rules for royals.

The point, in case it’s not obvious, is there is a whiff of Andrew not being taken to task because of who is mother is.

That’s why it’s relevant and why it’s not relevant for me, as the only thing my mother’s status would do is make it quicker to have me banished from the country with no notice thanks to Patel, that’s it.

Now if he’s innocent then welcome the investigation.

The royals live their lives in a different way and the queen ought to address the issue. They’re public figures. I am not.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

Given 2 of the 4 accused have so far been found guilty for running a paedo ring, I’d at least like a proper investigation.

It would also do wonders to show that they, the royals, in their privileged position (which is not deserved - they have not earned it) are not above being fairly investigated.

A page back you thought the queen was in on it and should answer questions. Should I be allowed to ask you relatives whatever I like about you life and cast aspersions in the media along the way. Seems reasonable.
    Am I a royal?

Different rules for royals.

The point, in case it’s not obvious, is there is a whiff of Andrew not being taken to task because of who is mother is.

That’s why it’s relevant and why it’s not relevant for me, as the only thing my mother’s status would do is make it quicker to have me banished from the country with no notice thanks to Patel, that’s it.

Now if he’s innocent then welcome the investigation.

The royals live their lives in a different way and the queen ought to address the issue. They’re public figures. I am not.
    If you can't realise that when you treat some to different rules then you have a problem. So by all means if you have evidence that Cannae sweat man is not being investigating due to his status then please lay it out. If not don't try to hold others to interrogations you would find unacceptable.

The problem in this case as I understand it is that those he is alleged to have interactions with were over 18 which makes them adults. This puts any interaction into the suspected rape category as they are adults. As you and many others know this is a much harder case to prove in a she said he said case. As I am not a royalist then I don't seek to protect the sweater however I am wary of shifting the bounds of what is definitely morally contemptable into that of the criminal sphere.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,030
    Whether he knew she was trafficked or not is one thing but it seems fairly certain he had sex with her and probably other girls Epstein had trapped - and it stretches credibility to think Andrew didn't lie through his teeth in his BBC interview.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • john80

Whether he knew she was trafficked or not is one thing but it seems fairly certain he had sex with her and probably other girls Epstein had trapped - and it stretches credibility to think Andrew didn't lie through his teeth in his BBC interview.

I don't doubt he had sex with her but given she had done this multiple times with Epstein associates the question remains was it consensual from his perspective. Andrew has likely lied but does it pass the bar for getting him on the stand I don't know. It is a dangerous game to assume that he knew the extents of which Epstein had subjected this woman to years of abuse that they knew the full extents at this point. Watching the documentary series on netflixs is eye opening.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    john80 said:

< the question remains was it consensual from his perspective

I don't think that's how it works
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    john80 said:

I don't doubt he had sex with her but given she had done this multiple times with Epstein associates the question remains was it consensual from his perspective. Andrew has likely lied but does it pass the bar for getting him on the stand I don't know. It is a dangerous game to assume that he knew the extents of which Epstein had subjected this woman to years of abuse that they knew the full extents at this point. Watching the documentary series on netflixs is eye opening.

Wouldn’t mind watching this documentary. What’s it called?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • john80
    Ben6899 said:

john80 said:

Wouldn’t mind watching this documentary. What’s it called?
    I think it is called Epstein. It is a five part series on Netflix.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Thanks John.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

Didn’t he say he was there with one of his daughters? A birthday party or something similar? If so, does this mean his own daughter won’t vouch for him?
  • DeVlaeminck

Didn’t he say he was there with one of his daughters? A birthday party or something similar? If so, does this mean his own daughter won’t vouch for him?
    Pretty sure someone would come forward saying they saw him there - if you work at Woking Pizza Express you aren't going to forget Prince Andrew visiting are you. It'll probably be on someone's social media from that day - young people put anything like that on social media.

Or he will have a bank statement showing he bought a pizza. Either way he'll be able to prove it - if it happened.

• Didn’t he say he was there with one of his daughters? A birthday party or something similar? If so, does this mean his own daughter won’t vouch for him?
    Pretty sure someone would come forward saying they saw him there - if you work at Woking Pizza Express you aren't going to forget Prince Andrew visiting are you. It'll probably be on someone's social media from that day - young people put anything like that on social media.

Or he will have a bank statement showing he bought a pizza. Either way he'll be able to prove it - if it happened.
    It was 20 years ago so no smartphones and no social media
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,521

MSN. But Nokia 1110.
  • DeVlaeminck

True - but someone would remember you'd think - Prince Andrew said himself popping in to Pizza Express was not a common occurrence.

• kingstonian
    Plus I’m sure his security detail would record his whereabouts, so those records would likely be available.

But there’s no records, and no witnesses, cos he wasn’t there.
  • john80
    It is a special kind of stupid that goes on TV with an alibi they cannot support.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Plus I’m sure his security detail would record his whereabouts, so those records would likely be available.

But there’s no records, and no witnesses, cos he wasn’t there.

How long would any such records be kept?
    The no witnesses bit is the hook, not any lack of records.
  • tailwindhome
    john80 said:

It is a special kind of stupid that goes on TV with an alibi they cannot support.

Long to reign over us
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,632
    john80 said:

Luckily for him there is no history of royals being special kinds of stupid.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525
    I didn't think the London incident was part of the claim due to the differences in ages of consent. If that is true, Prince Andrew doesn't need to put forward witnesses for pizza express, in which case, I'd guess it's a reminder of how much more pain will come from the case.
  • Age of consent is irrelevant if the charge is abuse tho’.
  • TheBigBean

Age of consent is irrelevant if the charge is abuse tho’.

Well, it's either part of the case or not. I thought it wasn't, but I could be wrong.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited January 2022

Well, it's either part of the case or not. I thought it wasn't, but I could be wrong.
    AFAIK, this'll be why the case has to held in the U.S.A. and not the U.K.
    They have to decide what the case will be. Abuse, rape, or statutory rape.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,150
    pblakeney said:

Surely the age of consent in the country the incident is alleged to have happened is the only thing that counts in the case of statutory rape?

• Didn’t he say he was there with one of his daughters? A birthday party or something similar? If so, does this mean his own daughter won’t vouch for him?

True - but someone would remember you'd think - Prince Andrew said himself popping in to Pizza Express was not a common occurrence.

It is what I would call a “fvck you lie” ie it is transparently untrue but you don’t care because you are who you are.

FWIW I would not expect any organisation to keep detailed records more than 20 years ago
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Surely the age of consent in the country the incident is alleged to have happened is the only thing that counts in the case of statutory rape?
    The whole thing is muddy. The events happened in London where there was no offence unless it was rape. No rape charges have been filed. Abuse will be hard to prove without rape I would have thought.
    The court case is in the U.S.A. where laws are different but can't be applied abroad. Surely?
    Further, neither party currently live in the U.S.A. which is a requirement to take it to court.
    Confused? You will be after this episode of Soap.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstonian

FWIW I would not expect any organisation to keep detailed records more than 20 years ago

That’s fair. But when it comes to witnesses, surely he’d be able to call his security detail that had been on duty at the time as they’d remember something as out of place as him going to Pizza Express.

All this is hypothetical anyway.
  • TheBigBean
    Will be interesting to see if the case is dismissed today.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Not today, that court decision due Tuesday.

V odd way of 'protecting' one's reputation as a fine upstanding bastion of traditional Britush valyous. What woman? Never heard of her, never met her, never touched.... bzzzt well known photo. Oh, let me rely on my paedo pal's NDA instead. Nothing to see here.
  • kingstonian
    I’ve only read snippets on the BBC website, but keen to understand where the case now lies seeing that the accuser has apparently signed a “don’t pursue” agreement and taken a $500K payment for the privilege. Sadly I think Andy’s lawyers might have a decent chance of getting the case thrown out.

For Andy the damage to his reputation is done - regardless of whether the case continues or not.