The Royals

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

Or in other words, up yours.

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.
    Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.
    Time to move on and cook that winning Masterchef meal.

Never seen it.
    You would have if Phillip hadn't popped his clogs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

Or in other words, up yours.

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.
    Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.
    Time to move on and cook that winning Masterchef meal.

What's the problem with Masterchef?

It's 2.5 hours a week on one channel for a few weeks and maybe some viewers take inspiration and improve their eating habits, which can only be a good thing in a nation that up to 20 years ago could barely reheat food from a tin. Programs like that (and many others of course ) have done a lot, in my opinion. Don't think that people knew what celeriac was... I still remember when I moved to the UK and all you could buy, in terms of fresh veg, were potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage...
    left the forum March 2023
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Was this during rationing ugo?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ugo.santalucia
    pangolin said:

Just after...

It was 21 years ago, but outside of London. In London you could already buy everything, but supermarkets in Sheffield were so basic...
    To find some decent veg, we had to go to a hippy Vegan shop (before it was fashionable!) called Beanies... apparently it still exists, now they even have a posh website

https://www.beanieswholefoods.co.uk/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

pangolin said:

Just after...

It was 21 years ago, but outside of London. In London you could already buy everything, but supermarkets in Sheffield were so basic...
    To find some decent veg, we had to go to a hippy Vegan shop (before it was fashionable!) called Beanies... apparently it still exists, now they even have a posh website

My mother came over about 30 years ago or so.

Can confirm she felt the same.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You could get loads of different veg 21 years ago in our supermarkets in surrey, i was working in one! Veggies I'd never heard of at the time, like moolies!

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    elbowloh said:

You could get loads of different veg 21 years ago in our supermarkets in surrey, i was working in one! Veggies I'd never heard of at the time, like moolies!

That'll be the around the year 2000 then?
    I reckon things changed for the better during the '90s.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

I remember moolies from the mid 90's ( my mum worked there then)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Had to google what a moolie was.

First hit, US derogatory term for a black person, derived from eggplant (i.e. aubergine), is that right?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

pangolin said:

Just after...

I can cope with an Italian sneering at our cuisine but not the Dutch.

Down south things got better in the early 90s
  • rick_chasey

pangolin said:

Just after...

Haha.

She had a blazing row with a friend's mother when she heard she'd fed me coca cola and fairy cakes aged 4.

She was *horrified* when she heard that kids were given sweets when we went on school trips and not fruit or sandwiches.

She could not believe how unhealthily children were fed here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    It's hard to argue with 21 years ago Rick's Mum...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Sounds like a social class thing ;)
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2021
    ddraver said:

It's hard to argue with 21 years ago Rick's Mum...

Tell me about it. (though more like 29 years ago)
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Had to google what a moolie was.

First hit, US derogatory term for a black person, derived from eggplant (i.e. aubergine), is that right?
    No.

Its like a long white radish. More commonly called a daikon now, with the rise in Vietnamese restaurants in the UK.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

pangolin said:

Just after...

Haha.

She had a blazing row with a friend's mother when she heard she'd fed me coca cola and fairy cakes aged 4.

She was *horrified* when she heard that kids were given sweets when we went on school trips and not fruit or sandwiches.

She could not believe how unhealthily children were fed here.
    We certainly weren't given sweets!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

pangolin said:

Just after...

lol sheffield the place that gave us the full monty. by the time ugo arrived there were already vegan shops. i think he doth protest too much.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Aubergines surely became popular in the UK in the late 70s when mousaka became popular! B)

Plenty of veggie and vegans around in the 1980s in the UK. Far easier to be one in the UK than it was in the likes of France at the time.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,027
    Hmmmm I can remember eating a wider range of vegetables in my youth than some of you seem to remember being available and I'm certainly older than Ugo. Cauliflower, Brussels, Parsnips, Radishes, Turnip, Broccoli, French Beans, Peas, Aubergine and Courgette to add to the list were all common. But why would you want them when you could have a Vesta Chow Mein and a slice of Arctic Roll for dessert?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • surrey_commuter

Aubergines surely became popular in the UK in the late 70s when mousaka became popular! B)

Plenty of veggie and vegans around in the 1980s in the UK. Far easier to be one in the UK than it was in the likes of France at the time.

The writer George Orwell maintained that Letchworth and Welwyn Garden City were inhabited by feminists, sandal-wearers, yoga enthusiasts and “fruit-juice-drinkers”. Such people seemed more alarming in the 1930s than they do today.
  • ugo.santalucia

Hmmmm I can remember eating a wider range of vegetables in my youth than some of you seem to remember being available and I'm certainly older than Ugo. Cauliflower, Brussels, Parsnips, Radishes, Turnip, Broccoli, French Beans, Peas, Aubergine and Courgette to add to the list were all common. But why would you want them when you could have a Vesta Chow Mein and a slice of Arctic Roll for dessert?

All stuff hard to get hold of in Sheffield in 2000...

Point is that it's only thanks to programs like Masterchef, and Jamie Oliver and Mary Berry and stuff that people got back in the kitchen... the diabetes bill to the NHS would be a lot steeper otherwise...

That is somewhat different from the pointless roll to roll repetition of the achievements of a privileged old man
  • elbowloh
    Turnips were available in Regency times for sure. Saw it in Blackadder.

All those veggies listed were available when i was a child in the 80s! I know as they were all put on my plate at various times and i refused to eat them all.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ugo.santalucia
    elbowloh said:

All those veggies listed were available when i was a child in the 80s! I know as they were all put on my plate at various times and i refused to eat them all.

Maybe they were available, certainly swede was available... but nobody wanted to eat turnips... I mean, who wants to eat turnips?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

elbowloh said:

Maybe they were available, certainly swede was available... but nobody wanted to eat turnips... I mean, who wants to eat turnips?
    The Scottish.
  • elbowloh
    mrb123 said:

elbowloh said:

The Scottish.
    YEah, but they eat haggis - which means they'll eat anything. Like the French.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited April 2021

Point is that it's only thanks to programs like Masterchef, and Jamie Oliver and Mary Berry and stuff that people got back in the kitchen... the diabetes bill to the NHS would be a lot steeper otherwise...

That is somewhat different from the pointless roll to roll repetition of the achievements of a privileged old man
    So, it's a good thing that cookery programmes got women back in the kitchen.
    Good luck with that around here.

I think the big difference in fruit and veg when I was a lad was that there was plenty of choice, but everything was seasonal.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ugo.santalucia

So, it's a good thing that cookery programmes got women back in the kitchen.
    Good luck with that around here.
    That's what you said... as a matter of fact, there are probably more men entering Masterchef than women, certainly more male finalists than female.

There are more male chefs in Great British Menu by quite some margin.

There are 50/50 in Great British Bake off

Basically, I don't WTF you are talking about...

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    edited April 2021
    If it wasn't for our current foodie ways and desire for avocados young people would famously be able to afford to get on the property ladder.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jezyboy said:

If it wasn't for our current foodie ways and desire for avocados young people would famously be able to afford to get on the property ladder.

and the weather would be cooler
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2021
    Jezyboy said:

Probably not... the ratio of average house price / average salary has increased quite a lot.
    Just in my profession, a young academic in the 1970-80s could afford a 4 bed semi- or detached, whereas now they can afford a 2 bed flat or a terraced, depending on the area. In London the difference is more stark.

The house prices are pumped by the availability of cheap credit, which has very little to do with disposable income. If you did spend less on food or Netflix, you would still get access to the same credit and the amount you can squirrel up as deposit would be peanuts anyway and make zero difference. If you saved £ 100 a month in food bill, which is a lot by any standard, in ten years you'd have 12 grand, which is less than 5% of the value of a property... in 10 years... peanuts...