The Royals

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309

Philip in particular has had the most incredible life.

... kind of easy when you are born into privilege... and of course he lived through WW2 and served in the navy, which adds a bit of drama and adventure.

Of course, he could have grown up to be a twxt, like his son Andrew, but he didn't... good on him
    left the forum March 2023
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    He was exiled from Greece at 18 months his four older sisters married Germans, his mother developed schizophrenia and was confined to an asylum; his father moved to Monte Carlo leaving him in Britain all before he was a teenager. He seems pretty normal all things considered.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

Philip in particular has had the most incredible life.

... kind of easy when you are born into privilege... and of course he lived through WW2 and served in the navy, which adds a bit of drama and adventure.

Of course, he could have grown up to be a twxt, like his son Andrew, but he didn't... good on him
    See rjsterry's post. An incredible life, if you can try not to be so narrow minded.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

To you, perhaps.

I feel you have an issue with sympathy / empathy or understanding others, as opposed to just projecting what you think / your experience of other countries onto what everyone else should think.

Some people adore the royal family and Philip has been in 'role' for many people's entire lifetimes. The coverage also plays nicely into the gov'ts hands as it builds nationalist sentiment. I wonder what they have managed to sign away during the last few days while everyone has been distracted.

I agree it's over the top, but so is your protesting.

Isn't it more that republicans pay their licence fee too, so changing the entire output for a dead consort is taking it too far? It makes you feel like like only one opinion on the matter entitled on the state broadcaster, which is why it generates a bad feeling.

No-one is saying it shouldn't get some coverage. I must say I don't feel any necessity to show more deference to a dead royal than to a dead normal person, but I also understand that's not shared.
    I've thought for a while that the TV licence should be re-branded as a communication tax and not be optional and this is sort of reconfirming that idea.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Pross said:

To you, perhaps.

I feel you have an issue with sympathy / empathy or understanding others, as opposed to just projecting what you think / your experience of other countries onto what everyone else should think.

Some people adore the royal family and Philip has been in 'role' for many people's entire lifetimes. The coverage also plays nicely into the gov'ts hands as it builds nationalist sentiment. I wonder what they have managed to sign away during the last few days while everyone has been distracted.

Isn't it more that republicans pay their licence fee too, so changing the entire output for a dead consort is taking it too far? It makes you feel like like only one opinion on the matter entitled on the state broadcaster, which is why it generates a bad feeling.

No-one is saying it shouldn't get some coverage. I must say I don't feel any necessity to show more deference to a dead royal than to a dead normal person, but I also understand that's not shared.
    I've thought for a while that the TV licence should be re-branded as a communication tax and not be optional and this is sort of reconfirming that idea.
    Why? Because the state broadcaster offers an extremely narrow view of the death of a consort?
  • ugo.santalucia
    edited April 2021
    rjsterry said:

He was exiled from Greece at 18 months his four older sisters married Germans, his mother developed schizophrenia and was confined to an asylum; his father moved to Monte Carlo leaving him in Britain all before he was a teenager. He seems pretty normal all things considered.

As I said, I saw The Crown... I don't think we are ever going to agree on this. I never said that his life shouldn't have been celebrated, but there should have been a bit more balance...
    Anyway... moving on
  • From what I've gathered from the news coverage over the last few days, I may be the only person in the country who doesn't have an amusing anecdote about meeting the Duke of Edinburgh.

I've emailed The BBC offering an interview.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited April 2021

From what I've gathered from the news coverage over the last few days, I may be the only person in the country who doesn't have an amusing anecdote about meeting the Duke of Edinburgh.

I've emailed The BBC offering an interview.

Too late.
    Happily blanket coverage of Masterchef has now been restored, so we can all move on to whining about repeats.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    I just found out yesterday that a cousin of mine has been all over the TV being interviewed as a close friend of the DoE. Oh well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Pross said:

To you, perhaps.

Why? Because the state broadcaster offers an extremely narrow view of the death of a consort?
    No, mainly because you regularly hear people saying "I don't watch BBC / live TV so why should I pay for a TV licence" or that paying the licence fee gives a right to comment on BBC content. It hasn't kept pace with the times, make it a tax and use it to fund communication infrastructure such as broadband to remote areas as well as the current BBC finance. Every household pays so there are no grey areas about whether you watch traditional TV or not.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I honestly have no issue with the licence fee. I'm happy to pay it to keep the beeb ad free and to have a proper public service broadcaster that knocks out some decent content.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

Or in other words, up yours.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

The passing of HRH the Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was a significant event which generated a lot of interest both nationally and internationally.

We acknowledge your complaint about the level of coverage, particularly in relation to the BBC News Special simultaneously broadcasting on BBC One and Two on Friday 9 April. We do not make such changes to billed schedules without careful consideration.

The decisions made reflect the role the BBC plays as the national broadcaster, during moments of national significance.

We are grateful for your feedback, and we always listen to the response from our audiences. Your comments have been shared with senior management.

What would be an acceptable resolution to that complaint though?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

An acknowledgement that simultaneous and uninterrupted coverage on BBC1, BBC2 and The BBC News Channel for the whole day was, after reflection, excessive, and a promise to be more proportionate in the future. The BBC has admitted to too much coverage of events before, and with far less saturation coverage than was the case last week.

But, as someone else has pointed out, if you think the media was over the top (and to be fair to the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky News were doing something similar; only not for so long) wait until Mrs Queen goes…
  • pangolin said:

An acknowledgement that on reflection simultaneous uninterrupted coverage on BBC1, BBC2 and the BBC News channel for the whole day was excessive, and a promise to be more proportionate in future. The BBC has admitted as much over coverage of other events in the past, events which received far less saturation coverage than was the case last week.

To be fair to the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky News were all doing something similar (only not for so long).

And as someone else has pointed out, if you think the coverage was way over the top, just wait until Mrs Queen goes. The death of Prince Phillip is going to look like an "and finally…" item by comparison.
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone else see that the census team of all people were called off "out of respect" for a few days?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,027
    I can't imagine what they'd do if say she died on a day England had an important world cup game or the European Championship final at Wembley.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey

pangolin said:

An acknowledgement that on reflection simultaneous uninterrupted coverage on BBC1, BBC2 and the BBC News channel for the whole day was excessive, and a promise to be more proportionate in future. The BBC has admitted as much over coverage of other events in the past, events which received far less saturation coverage than was the case last week.

To be fair to the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky News were all doing something similar (only not for so long).

And as someone else has pointed out, if you think the coverage was way over the top, just wait until Mrs Queen goes. The death of Prince Phillip is going to look like an "and finally…" item by comparison.
    Well yeah, where else can they go with the Queen's death, given they went this far for a consort?

• ugo.santalucia

Well yeah, where else can they go with the Queen's death, given they went this far for a consort?

Don't forget to add 24 hour coverage for the state funeral... biggest since Tito's, I suspect
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,027

If you want to "see who has made the cut for the royal event".
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... and the news we were all waiting for, the all important "who's going to walk alongside the coffin" hopefully nobody will be disappointed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56761074
  • pangolin said:

It'll be the same, only go on much much longer. I suspect the Government will get more involved too. We've seen from the pandemic that it has frightening powers to invoke instant new laws on the fly, and it's got a taste for it now, so expect such things as the mandatory wearing of black, the prosecution of anyone who makes a joke about her death, Forcing people to stand to attention in the street on the day of the funeral, 5 year jail terms for any radio dj who plays the ding dong song from the Wizard of Oz… things even more ridiculous than anyone can imagine.
  • pangolin
    Waitrose had an a frame outside with some comments about his sad passing.

Aldi had nothing.

I've complained to the BBC.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin said:

Aldi had nothing.

About Waitrose or about Aldi?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Aldi had nothing.

About Waitrose or about Aldi?
    Oh neither the complaint was that neither had my shampoo.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

They're only showing the funeral on one bbc channel. That's progress, and the complaints maybe helped with that decision.

As long as all presenters on all channels are wearing black armbands until... whenever.
  • I was sufficiently annoyed by the BBC blanket coverage to complain last week. I've just received a response, apparently sent to everyone who complained. You can probably guess the substance, but anyway, here it is

Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701

Really? Maybe they did. All 109,000 of them, including mine. A new record, nearly twice as many as the next most complained about thing.
    Time to move on and cook that winning Masterchef meal.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Time to move on and cook that winning Masterchef meal.

Never seen it.