Will you have the Covid-19 vaccine?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,950
    I thought he was coming on to me last night. 🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,762
    pblakeney said:

Oi, back off. I've got first dibs. You may have sticky seconds if you fancy.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,167
    edited March 2021

"In clinical trials, even though the number of thrombotic events was small, these were lower in the vaccinated group". In other words, having the vaccine might actually lessen your chances of having a thrombotic event as well as protect you from Covid...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

webboo said:

elbowloh said:

Joe, your trolls have no entertainment value, just facepalm value. There's no sense of panache, no showmanship.

But he seems a much nicer chap than Tony.
    Well you did shag Tony's wife 🙄
    No but me and Tony ;) maybe that’s why he’s so upset.
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

pblakeney said:

Oi, back off. I've got first dibs. You may have sticky seconds if you fancy.
    He acted coy so I think he's all yours.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Ireland, Holland, Germany, France and Italy suspend AZ vaccine.

"The background to this decision follows new reports of cases of cerebral vein thrombosis connected with an AstraZeneca vaccination. In light of these newly reported cases, the Paul Ehrlich Institute today re-evaluated the situation and recommended a suspension of vaccinations and further analysis." Germany's Health Minister Jens Spahn said.

He said the decision was "not political". "All of us are very aware of the consequences of this decision, and we did not take this decision lightly,"
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    joe2019 said:

"The background to this decision follows new reports of cases of cerebral vein thrombosis connected with an AstraZeneca vaccination. In light of these newly reported cases, the Paul Ehrlich Institute today re-evaluated the situation and recommended a suspension of vaccinations and further analysis." Germany's Health Minister Jens Spahn said.

He said the decision was "not political". "All of us are very aware of the consequences of this decision, and we did not take this decision lightly,"

Well, it's clearly not based on the scientific evidence as there is a higher number of cases of thrombosis per capita in people who haven't had the vaccine. If anything, that implies having the vaccine reduces your risk of thrombosis (slightly facetious, but coincidentally true).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joe2019
    edited March 2021
    elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Well, it's clearly not based on the scientific evidence as there is a higher number of cases of thrombosis per capita in people who haven't had the vaccine. If anything, that implies having the vaccine reduces your risk of thrombosis (slightly facetious, but coincidentally true).

That's what i thought too. So why the problem with AZ, if the same is true, or statistically worse, in the population vaccinated with the other vaccines?
  • elbowloh
    joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

That's what i thought too. So why the problem with AZ, if the same is true, or statistically worse, in the population vaccinated with the other vaccines?
    There isn't a problem with the AZ vaccine. I can only conclude that there is a political decision being made in spite of protestations to the contrary.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joe2019
    edited March 2021
    elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

There isn't a problem with the AZ vaccine. I can only conclude that there is a political decision being made in spite of protestations to the contrary.

How can you be certain of that?

Political decision being made by so many countries?

• elbowloh
    joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Political decision being made by so many counties?

Because there is no evidence of any problems.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • joe2019
    elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

So why is it suspended?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,762
    WHO say carry on with AZ.

Anyway, means more available for us and for the RoW.
  • elbowloh
    joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

So why is it suspended?
    You'd have to ask them.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,405
    joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Newspapers report on a non-story that frightens some of the population, politicians play to this saying they are protecting their citizens. They are playing politics with people's health and you are falling for it.
  • joe2019
    edited March 2021

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Newspapers report on a non-story that frightens some of the population, politicians play to this saying they are protecting their citizens. They are playing politics with people's health and you are falling for it.

I'm in good company then... better safe than sorry and all that.

Do you really believe that multiple governments act on newspaper reports?
  • veronese68
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Of course they do, do you know what populism is?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,356
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

You've not been paying much attention to our government have you?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    There’s no documented proof that the AZ vaccine carries any risk of DVT (nor anything else).

Why are some countries reluctant to use it? Who knows? I suspect they’re teeing up a scapegoat vaccine to hide some very poor vaccine procurement decisions.

Some countries pander to vaccine sceptics perhaps? As a single isolated example, I’ve found that the Dutch are generally reluctant to take medicine, but very keen to complain of ailments.

There are many possible reasons for AZ stories, but none of them are based on the empirical evidence.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    It is bloody negligent Governments suspending vaccines without really good categoric evidence against them. All it does is spread more suspicion and fear against the only way out of this Global pandemic. So now we will see Countries with with hospital full to capacity with people who haven't had the vaccine.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    david37 said:

vegas76 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.

I'm the same age, and I'm expecting well into June.
    its because they're on group 6 which is massive. If for eg you have a child who has been diagnosed with adhd or has learning difficulties you get the jab as the disability is then associated to you. Its a discrimination issue I believe. This means many more people under 50 will be getting the jab than those 50 - 65 before April

It also includes those who have eaten and drunk themselves to obesity or diabetes, have drink or drug problems etc etc

As well of course as those with all other underlying health issues past or present.
    I'm well behind on the thread but I don't have an issue with vaccinating anyone young with specific issues. My bother in law is in care and is in his early 40s and the whole thing has given him fewer options in life than someone in prison. And he doesn't really understand. Sure there will be exceptions captured by national policy, but the greater good is served by innoculating people who through no fault of their own are more likely to catch it if thet are out and about.

As for the other hypothetical categories, you sound like Norman Tebbit. You would prefer.to deny those in genuine need than inadvertently benefit those who in your judgement deserve what they get.

Death is a harsh sentence for being a fattie, I would say.
    I wasn't making a comment other than replying to an earlier comment about expected timescales. Group 6 is for those people who fall into assorts of different categories obesity being but one.

Since group 6 encompasses an awful lot of people, many of them relatively young then the following groups are some way down the line.

It seems your own personal position has led you to defensively ascribe meaning to my post that just isn't there. (your Tebbit comments and deciding what I would or wouldn't like)

I don't expect an apology, this is the internet after all.

Okay. Can you explain the comment about it being a discrimination issue. It struck a nerve. If I've got the wrong end of the stick, I'll apologise.

I do think Tebbit is under used as an insult though.
    Discrimination, which is a complicated area presents serious challenges in the provision of medical care. eg prep a hugely expensive drug used by the gay community to prevent infection caused by unprotected gay sex was demanded as a right and framed as a discrimination issue. the budget which is finite has to be balanced and the net effect is other areas have to be pruned, Cancer treatment perhaps.

In the provision of the vaccine in a justified discriminatory manner (age) there is also an exceptions group (group 6) where a very large group of people are given priority based on their needs. The vaccination of the parents of a child who has a statement of education need for example makes little sense. Especially since the parent and the child will be through necessity mixing with children and parents who don't fall into that category. However depending on the issue with the child, the parent may be considered to have the same disability and treated as such.

Now im not saying that's the case, but I suspect it might be a consideration. Im not sure if each health authority has to manage the order of its own citizens and therefore make decisions about the group in which each person belongs but if they are I would expect some to err on the side of caution and to take advice accordingly.

OMG the gammons are out in force today. Absolute fruitcake.
    another moron white male hating censored
    You're right. I hate gammon morons. Like you.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    joe2019 said:

pangolin said:

It's not experimental?

It's novel, no mRNA vaccine was ever approved before C19.
    Moron. AZ is not an mRNA vaccine.

Still you've freed up a space for someone else who definitely deserves it more.
  • joe2019
    vegas76 said:

joe2019 said:

pangolin said:

It's not experimental?

It's novel, no mRNA vaccine was ever approved before C19.
    Moron. AZ is not an mRNA vaccine.

Still you've freed up a space for someone else who definitely deserves it more.

Yeah, thanks for that, i think I corrected my mistake back in the day.
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Unlike this crèche for the middle aged, some are obviously unconvinced.
  • pblakeney
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

Look at the figures without emotion. The conclusion is obvious.
    The vaccine is safe. Those blocking it are playing politics.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 297
    One of the UK experts was reporting that rates of DVT/PE for those having had the Pfizer vaccine were identical to those who have had AZ vaccine.
    Either we are not getting all of the story regarding the AZ instances or the suspension of AZ vaccines has to be a political decision by EU countries.
    #scapegoat
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

It really does get my goat when people who do their best to sow panic with lies and stupidity then turn round and say "but there must be something in it, people are worried!"
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,174

One of the UK experts was reporting that rates of DVT/PE for those having had the Pfizer vaccine were identical to those who have had AZ vaccine.
    Either we are not getting all of the story regarding the AZ instances or the suspension of AZ vaccines has to be a political decision by EU countries.
    #scapegoat

Are the cases of blood clots possibly just a function of the people receiving the vaccine? i.e. older people and those with underlying health conditions who might be at higher risk anyway?
  • veronese68

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

elbowloh said:

joe2019 said:

It really does get my goat when people who do their best to sow panic with lies and stupidity then turn round and say "but there must be something in it, people are worried!"
    Indeed. Now the WHO and EMA are having to look into it because of the increasing coverage. These idiots will say that proves their point, whereas it's obvious they have to look into it to try a calm the rising fear in the public caused.
    Look at the harm done by all the false news stories about MMR. Yet the likes of the Mail continued to spread the lies even after they'd been fined for doing so. Fines should be much higher and full front page apologies.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

joe2019 said:

Without doing any maffs at all, I suspect the chance of dying or being seriously ill from covid (or long covid) is much higher than the (probably non-existent) extra risks of blood clots (given how many millions of doses have already been given). If you've read about how the age profile of covid dead and seriously ill in Brazil has changed, I'd not be wanting to rely on youth or good health for not getting it and getting deaded.

I live on Exmoor not in Brazil

Just remind me where we think the virus started... I don't think it was Simonsbath, but it still made it all the way to Porlock.
    nice geographical references. well done