Will you have the Covid-19 vaccine?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,987
    joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Daughter had her first jab today. My wife's colleague, who has turned down the jab offered to them as care workers, thinks it's irresponsible. This isn't because of the same reason for not getting jabbed herself (vaccine rushed through, not properly tested blah blah) but because those who have it will become "silent killers" as they won't know they have the virus but can still pass it to those who don't have the vaccine.

I'm really struggling with that logic. This is an educated, normally sensible, person we've known for years. I think her husband may have been the trigger although he's a well-educated person with a responsible job too. She has already had three 10 day stints off work self-isolating after coming into contact with positive cases (outside work).

Even 'well educated' people are allowed different opinions to yours.

Ignoring the science/data isn't just "having a different opinion"... if it shows (as it increasingly appears to be showing) that having the vaccination both protects you, and greatly reduces the likelihood of you passing it on, then it's not just 'opinion', it's data: cold, hard, data.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Daughter had her first jab today. My wife's colleague, who has turned down the jab offered to them as care workers, thinks it's irresponsible. This isn't because of the same reason for not getting jabbed herself (vaccine rushed through, not properly tested blah blah) but because those who have it will become "silent killers" as they won't know they have the virus but can still pass it to those who don't have the vaccine.

I'm really struggling with that logic. This is an educated, normally sensible, person we've known for years. I think her husband may have been the trigger although he's a well-educated person with a responsible job too. She has already had three 10 day stints off work self-isolating after coming into contact with positive cases (outside work).

Ignoring the science/data isn't just "having a different opinion"... if it shows (as it increasingly appears to be showing) that having the vaccination both protects you, and greatly reduces the likelihood of you passing it on, then it's not just 'opinion', it's data: cold, hard, data.
    Even stupider people than you are entitled to their own facts.

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

So the experiment is going well then :)

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Do you really believe this?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • joe2019
    pangolin said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

No , just being childish tbh

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    joe2019 said:

pangolin said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Does that mean you would now have the vaccine?
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Just seen a TV advert for a cruise ship holiday.

I never laughed so hard
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

pangolin said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Yeah, got my invite today, booked in for the 26th.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

pangolin said:

joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Yeah, got my invite today, booked in for the 26th.

Pleased to hear it
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,388
    joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Of course and I can even understand the hesitancy when a big deal was made about how quickly the vaccines were developed, usually takes years etc. but the argument that people having the vaccine is making it more dangerous for those choosing not to have it left me gobsmacked to be honest. I just don't know where you go with the logic of 'you shouldn't have the vaccine as I don't want it and you might give me the virus as you don't know your carrying it'.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

FFS - if you two want to get flagged, you're going the right way about it. If you can't be civil, shut up.

that as maybe but you've got to admit its funny.

I'm just surprised it hasn't yet got to "My dad's harder than your dad".

My dad's dead :(

Having read some of your other posts and how loosely based they are in reality I am none the wiser as to whether you dad is dead or alive.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

david37 said:

david37 said:

Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.

I'm the same age, and I'm expecting well into June.
    its because they're on group 6 which is massive. If for eg you have a child who has been diagnosed with adhd or has learning difficulties you get the jab as the disability is then associated to you. Its a discrimination issue I believe. This means many more people under 50 will be getting the jab than those 50 - 65 before April

It also includes those who have eaten and drunk themselves to obesity or diabetes, have drink or drug problems etc etc

As well of course as those with all other underlying health issues past or present.
    I'm well behind on the thread but I don't have an issue with vaccinating anyone young with specific issues. My bother in law is in care and is in his early 40s and the whole thing has given him fewer options in life than someone in prison. And he doesn't really understand. Sure there will be exceptions captured by national policy, but the greater good is served by innoculating people who through no fault of their own are more likely to catch it if thet are out and about.

As for the other hypothetical categories, you sound like Norman Tebbit. You would prefer.to deny those in genuine need than inadvertently benefit those who in your judgement deserve what they get.

Death is a harsh sentence for being a fattie, I would say.
    I wasn't making a comment other than replying to an earlier comment about expected timescales. Group 6 is for those people who fall into assorts of different categories obesity being but one.

Since group 6 encompasses an awful lot of people, many of them relatively young then the following groups are some way down the line.

It seems your own personal position has led you to defensively ascribe meaning to my post that just isn't there. (your Tebbit comments and deciding what I would or wouldn't like)

I don't expect an apology, this is the internet after all.

Okay. Can you explain the comment about it being a discrimination issue. It struck a nerve. If I've got the wrong end of the stick, I'll apologise.

I do think Tebbit is under used as an insult though.
    Discrimination, which is a complicated area presents serious challenges in the provision of medical care. eg prep a hugely expensive drug used by the gay community to prevent infection caused by unprotected gay sex was demanded as a right and framed as a discrimination issue. the budget which is finite has to be balanced and the net effect is other areas have to be pruned, Cancer treatment perhaps.

In the provision of the vaccine in a justified discriminatory manner (age) there is also an exceptions group (group 6) where a very large group of people are given priority based on their needs. The vaccination of the parents of a child who has a statement of education need for example makes little sense. Especially since the parent and the child will be through necessity mixing with children and parents who don't fall into that category. However depending on the issue with the child, the parent may be considered to have the same disability and treated as such.

Now im not saying that's the case, but I suspect it might be a consideration. Im not sure if each health authority has to manage the order of its own citizens and therefore make decisions about the group in which each person belongs but if they are I would expect some to err on the side of caution and to take advice accordingly.

• david37
    john80 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

FFS - if you two want to get flagged, you're going the right way about it. If you can't be civil, shut up.

Having read some of your other posts and how loosely based they are in reality I am none the wiser as to whether you dad is dead or alive.
    Id bet he might be if he could.
  • joe2019
    john80 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

I'm pretty sure we buried him 20 years ago, but I'll check anyway, thanks.
  • joe2019
    david37 said:

john80 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

Does that even make sense?
  • david37
    edited March 2021
    joe2019 said:

david37 said:

john80 said:

joe2019 said:

MattFalle said:

Does that even make sense?
    what does that even mean?

My god, all is clear. But Im sure any linguists here could describe you pretty accurately from your last comment.

Psychiatrists could do the same from your previous comments.

• joe2019
    edited March 2021
    Sorry to say but "Id bet he might be if he could." is not even close to good English.
  • david37
    joe2019 said:

Sorry to say that "Id bet he might be if he could." is not even near to good English.

I'll expand. for your confected outrage and offence.

I bet he might be dead if he could. (the inference being that I bet he might be dead through choice, to get away from your asinine comments)
  • joe2019
    david37 said:

joe2019 said:

Sorry to say that "Id bet he might be if he could." is not even near to good English.

I'll expand. for your confected outrage and offence.

I bet he might be dead if he could. (the inference being that I bet he might be dead through choice, to get away from your asinine comments)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm obviously out of my depth here, all the best in your life.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    Just a quick reminder that you have both voted 'Yes' and nobody has voted 'No' to having the vaccine.

• joe2019
    Interested to read that Denmark and Norway have suspended use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine today.
  • I am definitely not going to accept the AstraZeneca Vaccine, until they sort out this little issue.

https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/542780-denmark-norway-and-iceland-suspend-astrazeneca
  • First.Aspect
    david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

Feels like the pace of calling up new groups is slowing in Hampshire, two weeks ago those aged 64+ could visit ad-hoc walk-in vaccination centres, these have now ceased as the 60-63 group are being invited to get their first jab. At 47, I'll be amazed if I get a jab before the end of April.

its because they're on group 6 which is massive. If for eg you have a child who has been diagnosed with adhd or has learning difficulties you get the jab as the disability is then associated to you. Its a discrimination issue I believe. This means many more people under 50 will be getting the jab than those 50 - 65 before April

It also includes those who have eaten and drunk themselves to obesity or diabetes, have drink or drug problems etc etc

As well of course as those with all other underlying health issues past or present.
    I'm well behind on the thread but I don't have an issue with vaccinating anyone young with specific issues. My bother in law is in care and is in his early 40s and the whole thing has given him fewer options in life than someone in prison. And he doesn't really understand. Sure there will be exceptions captured by national policy, but the greater good is served by innoculating people who through no fault of their own are more likely to catch it if thet are out and about.

As for the other hypothetical categories, you sound like Norman Tebbit. You would prefer.to deny those in genuine need than inadvertently benefit those who in your judgement deserve what they get.

I wasn't making a comment other than replying to an earlier comment about expected timescales. Group 6 is for those people who fall into assorts of different categories obesity being but one.

Since group 6 encompasses an awful lot of people, many of them relatively young then the following groups are some way down the line.

It seems your own personal position has led you to defensively ascribe meaning to my post that just isn't there. (your Tebbit comments and deciding what I would or wouldn't like)

Okay. Can you explain the comment about it being a discrimination issue. It struck a nerve. If I've got the wrong end of the stick, I'll apologise.

Discrimination, which is a complicated area presents serious challenges in the provision of medical care. eg prep a hugely expensive drug used by the gay community to prevent infection caused by unprotected gay sex was demanded as a right and framed as a discrimination issue. the budget which is finite has to be balanced and the net effect is other areas have to be pruned, Cancer treatment perhaps.

In the provision of the vaccine in a justified discriminatory manner (age) there is also an exceptions group (group 6) where a very large group of people are given priority based on their needs. The vaccination of the parents of a child who has a statement of education need for example makes little sense. Especially since the parent and the child will be through necessity mixing with children and parents who don't fall into that category. However depending on the issue with the child, the parent may be considered to have the same disability and treated as such.

Now im not saying that's the case, but I suspect it might be a consideration. Im not sure if each health authority has to manage the order of its own citizens and therefore make decisions about the group in which each person belongs but if they are I would expect some to err on the side of caution and to take advice accordingly.

Mmm, so I've had a few glasses of wine, but isn't denial / approval of a drug to do with a homosexually transmitted disease* based on cost because it is associated with homosexuals a discrimination issue? And not terribly close to the line when it comes to medical ethics?

So I'm not quite at the apology stage, to be honest.

(*Presumably you are talking about HIV. Which is only a gay disease if you are still based in 1981.)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Regardless. "No" still has 0%.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    pblakeney said:

Possibly not so many visitors to the thread from Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Austria, Italy, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Luxembourg.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    joe2019 said:

pblakeney said:

Possibly not so many visitors to the thread from Denmark, Norway, Iceland, Austria, Italy, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania or Luxembourg.
    Rather strange viewpoint rom someone that is going to have the vaccine.
    "Yeah, got my invite today, booked in for the 26th." Pick a stance and stand by it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • david37

david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

Mmm, so I've had a few glasses of wine, but isn't denial / approval of a drug to do with a homosexually transmitted disease* based on cost because it is associated with homosexuals a discrimination issue? And not terribly close to the line when it comes to medical ethics?

(*Presumably you are talking about HIV. Which is only a gay disease if you are still based in 1981.)
    treatment is declined every day for all sorts of things on the basis of cost. Id have thought when faced with a finite budget that allocating a significant chunk of it in the direction of a group that has established cheap readily available and effective alternatives whilst at the same time restricting the treatment of others who couldn't avoid their situation is exactly the type of medical ethics question that is challenging.

But then I haven't "had a few glasses of wine"

• pinkbikini
    pinkbikini Posts: 876
    david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

treatment is declined every day for all sorts of things on the basis of cost. Id have thought when faced with a finite budget that allocating a significant chunk of it in the direction of a group that has established cheap readily available and effective alternatives whilst at the same time restricting the treatment of others who couldn't avoid their situation is exactly the type of medical ethics question that is challenging.

Reminds me of this:
    https://youtu.be/W4JsjI5gUHk
  • First.Aspect
    david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

david37 said:

So are you arguing that we should deny cancer treatment to ex smokers?