Tennis G.O.A.T?

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

Fabulous game on ITV 4. French open semi finals, 2 of the greatest duking it out at the moment if anyone’s interested.

Too busy watching it to post on here.
    Nadal was sweating like a **** in the 3rd. Not a complete surprise result from that point.
    Not the best version of Nadal last night but wasn’t the best version of Djokovic in last years final. Should go on to win his second french title, Tsitsipas isn’t in the same league.
    Isn't Tsitsipas the favourite of the new breed to break the old guard?
    That said, I possibly need Djokovic to win in order for my prediction of him topping the all time winners to be fulfilled.
    Medvedev looks the best of the new bread on hard courts, Tsitsipas is best of them on clay, Dominic Thiem seems to have gone off the boil, if he can be classed as new breed at 27 years old. All a step down in class from the big 3.

Your prediction looks likely 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

seanoconn said:

Fabulous game on ITV 4. French open semi finals, 2 of the greatest duking it out at the moment if anyone’s interested.

Too busy watching it to post on here.
    Nadal was sweating like a **** in the 3rd. Not a complete surprise result from that point.
    Not the best version of Nadal last night but wasn’t the best version of Djokovic in last years final. Should go on to win his second french title, Tsitsipas isn’t in the same league.
    Isn't Tsitsipas the favourite of the new breed to break the old guard?
    That said, I possibly need Djokovic to win in order for my prediction of him topping the all time winners to be fulfilled.
    Medvedev looks the best of the new bread on hard courts, Tsitsipas is best of them on clay, Dominic Thiem seems to have gone off the boil, if he can be classed as new breed at 27 years old. All a step down in class from the big 3.

Your prediction looks likely 👍
    He's also an intelligent player, using his loaf to get on a roll and rise up the pecking order.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    Damn you elbow! Fist waving.

Looking forward to the ladies final today, somethingova vs somethingova. Who says ladies tennis isn’t as exciting as the men’s.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

No question:

Nadal was hot before his hair fell out.

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Talking of Nadal, he's had to pull out of Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics.
  • seanoconn

He’s probably not bothered about the Olympics, specially with COVID uncertainty and hasn’t won Wimbledon in 10 years, so might not have the confidence or motivation after a hard clay court season for a 35 year old. Have
  • seanoconn
    Speaking of which. Federer on the comeback trail out second round on grass in Halle to a very impressive Felix Auger-Aliassime.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2021
    seanoconn said:

He’s probably not bothered about the Olympics, specially with COVID uncertainty and hasn’t won Wimbledon in 10 years, so might not have the confidence or motivation after a hard clay court season for a 35 year old. Have
    True about the Olympics. I'm sure Nadal would always be up for Wimbledon though, he can't be a hundred percent.
  • elbowloh

seanoconn said:

True about the Olympics. I'm sure Nadal would always be up for Wimbledon though, he can't be a hundred percent.
    It's the short turnaround time in a condensed Covid calendar that leaves no time for recovery for him. He was injured earlier in the season also i think.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    Murray’s set down at Queens at the moment and struggling, albeit to a top 10 player. Like he says, he’s not hurting anyone by continuing. He might win the odd match here and there with pure competitive instinct but he’s not going to be a threat on the ATP tour anymore.
  • focuszing723
    edited June 2021
    Yeah. In my mind he's done bloody well to win Wimbledon twice and the US Open. I really like the the way he represented Britain in the our 2012 Olympics and won Gold and then again in Rio.

Not that happy with him making a point of voting for Scottish independence and Living in London though.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    What is Murray up to? Two sets and three breaks up and manages to lose the third set. Must be glad to have the break for the roof.
  • elbowloh
    Surprised no one has...

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • focuszing723
    Good to see him through.
  • seanoconn
    edited June 2021
    Keep Murray on Centre court and the crowd will get him through another match or two.

Hope I didn’t miss anything exciting in the football.
  • focuszing723
    Good fight back for Murray.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    seanoconn said:

Keep Murray on Centre court and the crowd will get him through another match or two.

His next opponent will be a much sterner test. Plus the other bloke got a walkover in his 2nd round match so will be fresh.

• seanoconn
    mrb123 said:

seanoconn said:

His next opponent will be a much sterner test. Plus the other bloke got a walkover in his 2nd round match so will be fresh.

On paper Denis Shapovalov should win, Murray not looking great and will feel the effects on a 5 setter. Depends how Shapovalov deals with centre court and the partisan crowd, could go either way.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Bjorn Borg, obviously.
    Proper small head racquets, skill on court rather than all that muscle and power serve blx.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    seanoconn said:

mrb123 said:

seanoconn said:

On paper Denis Shapovalov should win, Murray not looking great and will feel the effects on a 5 setter. Depends how Shapovalov deals with centre court and the partisan crowd, could go either way.
    Shapo seems to find a way to lose to people he shouldn’t and beat people he shouldn’t, so I think Murray might be a good chance.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited July 2021

Bjorn Borg, obviously.
    Proper small head racquets, skill on court rather than all that muscle and power serve blx.

Watching the wrong tournament if you want to watch games where the serve doesn't dominate. That's how you win on grass, though lots of players this year suggesting the ground staff have slowed the court down (again...!)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593

Bjorn Borg, obviously.

I have limited interest in tennis, but I did see one player serve with a wooden racket at similar speeds to demonstrate that it is not all to do with the racket. That doesn't invalidate your point though because the modern rackets have larger sweet spots, so it is easier to hit it hard.

There's also something about spin and the balls which is a significant factor.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    edited July 2021

Bjorn Borg, obviously.

I have limited interest in tennis, but I did see one player serve with a wooden racket at similar speeds to demonstrate that it is not all to do with the racket. That doesn't invalidate your point though because the modern rackets have larger sweet spots, so it is easier to hit it hard.

There's also something about spin and the balls which is a significant factor.
    I thought modern amateur rackets did indeed have bigger sweetspots as they can have the strings slacker, but I think for the pros they have them as tight as they can, as they are accurate enough they can focus on pure power.

When I was 11 I remember getting a racket with looser strings and yikes, I was hitting fireballs all over the place.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,593
    edited July 2021
    Just to show how up to date I am, it was Mark Philippoussis in 1997, but what I said is true. A wooden racket is very nearly as powerful for a serve as a composite racket. What has changed is the players becoming bigger and stronger, so serving speed has increased.

The two big differences between the rackets are that the size of head which enables more spin and therefore more power, and they are structurally more consistent and stiffer for a given weight, so have larger sweet spots which means more power/consistency on off centre shots when returning the ball (bigger sweet spot).

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited July 2021

I thought that Cori Gauff looked good value at 66/1, she's now 3rd favourite at 10/1.
  • seanoconn
    Good luck to you sir 👍
  • seanoconn
    Zverev looking dangerous.
  • Pross
    This Raducanu kid could be quite good once she goes full time! OK she's lost the first set but both are playing some very good tennis.
  • Pross
    Looks like she may have had a dodgy gel though!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Pross said:

This Raducanu kid could be quite good once she goes full time! OK she's lost the first set but both are playing some very good tennis.

Yeah, good clean striker of the ball. Maybe a bit one dimensional but plenty of potential. Other player is quite similar TBH, just making fewer mistakes.