S*** Small Races Thread - 2021

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Sorry for the spoilers in the other thread

Got excited and well... sorry...my bad.

I'd seen it myself already. I was just thinking of others. Although I doubt many save a sprint stage for later viewing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    RichN95. said:

Quick Step's unpaid intern beats Merlier, Ewan, Ackermann, etc in Belgium.

They must be finished! But well done to Cav. That is a quality field he beat.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    RichN95. said:

Quick Step's unpaid intern beats Merlier, Ewan, Ackermann, etc in Belgium.

Was weird, they seemed to ignore him on that side of the road, and he was just stronger.

It was a genuinely impressive win, finishing off a really good lead out.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    I'll admit, I thought the tour of Turkey wins were fishing in a small pond, but today was something else.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Rebellin still plying his trade at 49 in the Italian race on Eurosport yesterday.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Good stage that. Astana get mugged on the line after they chase each other down with 500 metres to go.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    webboo said:

Good stage that. Astana get mugged on the line after they chase each other down with 500 metres to go.

Yes, I think that Fortunato (spelling) at Eolo has a future.
  • webboo
    The way he rode tempo back up to the leading group after being delayed by the crash made me think he was a bit of a diesel. However that final acceleration was pretty impressive.
  • webboo
    The women’s tour of Belgium finishing today has had some of the most aggressive racing I’ve seen in women’s racing. It’s on Euro sport well worth a watch..
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    La course is a travesty . The tour should have a full women's stage race FFS how many years had it been?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.

La course is a travesty . The tour should have a full women's stage race FFS how many years had it been?

They're doing it next year. There's rumours that there's been some sort of virus in Europe that's caused problems.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    RichN95. said:

They're doing it next year. There's rumours that there's been some sort of virus in Europe that's caused problems.
    For the last decade or more?
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

There's a race next year. Do you want a time machine? Also these things need to be paid for.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

There's a race next year. Do you want a time machine? Also these things need to be paid for.
    That jibe would have more impact had I not been whinging about this for years. It's not strictly an ASO thing, as Tour de Yorkshire is one of the races that takes women's racing seriously, but La Course has been roundly - and rightly - mocked since its inception for the lack of ambition and (frankly) respect. There was nothing stopping a female TdF a decade ago - plenty of male races allegedly lose money - and to blame the delay on Covid is giving a free pass where none is deserved.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    RichN95. said:

I didn't get that on the news where I am
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    La Course is about to start over on GCN/Eurosport. So I hope all those complaining about there being no women's Tour are up, ready and waiting to boost their viewing figures.

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

That jibe would have more impact had I not been whinging about this for years. It's not strictly an ASO thing, as Tour de Yorkshire is one of the races that takes women's racing seriously, but La Course has been roundly - and rightly - mocked since its inception for the lack of ambition and (frankly) respect. There was nothing stopping a female TdF a decade ago - plenty of male races allegedly lose money - and to blame the delay on Covid is giving a free pass where none is deserved.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grande_Boucle_Féminine_Internationale

You question why a company that owns, designs and organises top international sporting events for profit, didn't throw money at a race that just a couple of years earlier, had collapsed due to lack of sponsorship and funds?
    I would question why they would.
    Unless they fancied re-branding themselves as the PCASO, of course.

Anyhow, La Course is about to start over on GCN/Eurosport. So I hope all those complaining about there being no women's Tour are up, ready and waiting to boost their viewing figures.

I'm off to do my bit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,584
    That climb looks tougher than the stats would suggest. Average is 5% but it's more a 1.5k steep climb with a 1.5km drag to follow. Certainly saw a lot of riders getting dropped even though they were full road width at the front and therefore presumably taking it fairly easy.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Watching live coverage on ITV4.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2021
    Pross said:

That climb looks tougher than the stats would suggest. Average is 5% but it's more a 1.5k steep climb with a 1.5km drag to follow. Certainly saw a lot of riders getting dropped even though they were full road width at the front and therefore presumably taking it fairly easy.

OK, this is probably where I should be.

The bottom half looked really tough. The final km and in particular the last 800 metres bring the average down quite a bit.
    To me, it looked very similar to tomorrow's Mur de Bretagne finish: Steep and straight.

At least the women get the benefit of some early crowds on there. The rest of the course is deserted.
  • Pross
    Decent group has clipped off the front. Bit of handbags between Henderson and Brand.
  • Pross
    Decent racing this but the hill is once again highlighting the lack of strength in depth in the women's peloton.
  • Pross
    Enjoyed that, plenty of attacking and very cagey at the finish with AVDB playing the team role to perfection. Lizzie must have been getting frustrated, several times it looked like the front group were messing around enough that she could get back only for someone to attack and reopen the gap.

Strong sprint fro Vollering to take the win with Cecilie coming past Vos on the line to pinch second.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    AVDB closing down Uttrup Ludwig on the final climb was also pretty smart. Cecilie just knocked it off totally because honestly, what was the point?
  • blazing_saddles
    Anna van der Breggen policed that to perfection, even though it was a bit risky with Vos there.
    Demi Vollering simply had better legs after the difficult sections.

I fear we will get a similar finish in the men's race.
    Someone like Alaphilippe will go on the steep stuff, but will be brought back to the fold and a reduced bunch sprint for those with the legs will wrap things up.
    Someone like Omar Fraille could even mix it with the superstars.
  • webboo
    Pross said:

Enjoyed that, plenty of attacking and very cagey at the finish with AVDB playing the team role to perfection. Lizzie must have been getting frustrated, several times it looked like the front group were messing around enough that she could get back only for someone to attack and reopen the gap.

Strong sprint fro Vollering to take the win with Cecilie coming past Vos on the line to pinch second.

I was surprised how LD always seemed to be way down the bunch as they hit the climb then have make up loads of places on the climb. Especially on the final time up it.
  • blazing_saddles
    If anybody has time to watch a second, 5 and a half hour race, yesterday's Gran Premio Città di Lugano is available on the tube.

https://youtu.be/lyx6XiBL4KI?t=280
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    edited July 2021
    Pretty sure the women's Giro (Rosa? Donne? Feminin? whatever it is this year) fits in this thread now that it's been demoted. First stage saw Trek-Sagafredo win the TTT, sticking nearly five minutes into the slowest team over 26.7km and propelling Ruth Winder into the lead on GC as first rider over the line.

Today saw normal service resume with van der Breggan predictably kicking everyone else's backside on a course whose profile was not messing about.

Moolman and Vollering from AvdB's SD Worx team round out the top three; Lara Krähemann came in last, a mere 39 minutes after AvdB - on a stage that was won in under three hours - and deserves some sort of award for sheer persistence.
  • RichN95.

Moolman and Vollering from AvdB's SD Worx team round out the top three; Lara Krähemann came in last, a mere 39 minutes after AvdB - on a stage that was won in under three hours - and deserves some sort of award for sheer persistence.

With the SD Worx dominance maybe we have to ask whether Women's Cycling needs a salary cap.
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95. said:

With the SD Worx dominance maybe we have to ask whether Women's Cycling needs a salary cap.
    RichN95. said:

Just watched a bit of yesterday's stage, but I am not going to bother with the finish.
    Needless to say AvDB out did Pogacar in the domination stakes, yesterday.
    I have lost all interest in watching top women's racing because the Dutch women have made every race of note a forgone conclusion.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    It's getting...yeah...

I know it's wrong to feel like that but...

😴
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver