Hunt Wheels

Comments

• flasher said:

Head on crash wheel knackered, shock horror!

FYI my initial point was to mention that as people were raving about handbuilt wheels my experience was not so positive. My issue was with the rear wheel where 2x spokes snapped moreso than with the front wheel which was damaged in a crash (I was merely stating the damage suffered was significant considering it was a low impact crash).

In regards to Hunt wheels, a good friend of mine uses them and as I said initially, he is very happy with them, and I thought they looked pretty good. At £600 they were hardly that expensive for carbon road wheels, when as you correctly point out you can splash out thousands on wheels.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Follow this thread through - it was all discussed herein ad infintum.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/comment/20724486#Comment_20724486

ultegra. its grey for a reason

There's no discussion about Ultegra in that thread.

That's just you passing your opinion off as fact & talking about yourself in the 3rd person.

Again.
    who is? MF?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

The top end Vauxhall analogy is bang on. The fact is that they aren't artisan or made in the UK - I have a lovely set of A Force's and Archetypes built by DCR in the UK, which to my mind are far more artisan than Hunt. Oh and better value!!

However MF is completely wrong about Ultegra... :)

ultegra is fine if you know what you are buying - the Ford Mondeo of the groupset world.

As a winter or training groupset, its fine. it just doesn't hit any of the required markers for anything else.

Much like Jim Corr its just uninspiring.
  • Ultegra = BMW 5 Series. It's all you'll ever need and works faultlessly.

Dura ace = BMW M5. Very expensive and not much extra performance in the real world.

Record = Expenisve Alfa Romeo saloon. Looks the part but not engineered quite right and prone to faults / reliability issues

SRAM Red = Ford Mustang with all the associated reliability issues and ultimately it's American.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,636
    But where's your Super Record comparison?
  • MattFalle

Ultegra = BMW 5 Series. It's all you'll ever need and works faultlessly.

Dura ace = BMW M5. Very expensive and not much extra performance in the real world.

Record = Expenisve Alfa Romeo saloon. Looks the part but not engineered quite right and prone to faults / reliability issues

SRAM Red = Ford Mustang with all the associated reliability issues and ultimately it's American.

thats the biggest crockofshit i've ever read.

i presume you own ultegra, yah?
  • Proud Ultegra owner here, albeit Ultegra 6600 SL on the Principia. Actually maybe Ultegra is Merc territory, it keeps going on and on.

Nothing wrong with Mercs :)
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbDROaZ2_Wo

They work exactly the same according to this bloke from Shimano...
  • MattFalle
    oh my word.

you have what on a Principia?

Seriously?

Don't tell us - you're also in a club?
  • Now that brings back memories, my vastly underused green Principia RSL from around '97 with Shimano 600.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

Go back & read some of what you post.
  • No clubbing for me MF.

Perhaps it needs a set of Hunts to finish it off?! :)

Signs are the drivetrain will go on and on though. When it does come time to replace it in 2031, Discs will be a bad memory. And it may get treated to mechanical DA, just as its the nicest bike I've ever owned.
  • MattFalle
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

MF's prose is joyous. You just seem angry, which is sad.

#sadface
  • MattFalle

No clubbing for me MF.

Signs are the drivetrain will go on and on though. When it does come time to replace it in 2031, Discs will be a bad memory. And it may get treated to mechanical DA, just as its the nicest bike I've ever owned.

but you don't need dura ace.
  • MattFalle said:

vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

What's wrong with Ultegra?

seriously? does this seriously need discussing?
    Go on then, what is actually wrong with it?
    Do you really want to go into this? It will ruin the love you have for your groupset.
    No one takes you seriously.
    strange how lots of people above have same opinion though isn't it?

i'm presuming you and Dip both have ultegra?
    Not me. 105 is my level ;)
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

What's wrong with Ultegra?

seriously? does this seriously need discussing?
    Go on then, what is actually wrong with it?
    Do you really want to go into this? It will ruin the love you have for your groupset.
    No one takes you seriously.
    strange how lots of people above have same opinion though isn't it?

i'm presuming you and Dip both have ultegra?
    Not me. 105 is my level ;)
    And it is the far better choice - fair dinkum dude.
  • MattFalle

No clubbing for me MF.

Any chance you can put Chorus on it?

Now that would be sweeeet.
  • Chorus = Fiat
    Record = Alfa
    Super R = Ferrari

So no, my Ultegra SL is just fine - like a nice Merc - growing old nicely
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

MF's prose is joyous. You just seem angry, which is sad.

#sadface

Far from it, I'm very content thanks for asking.

Your prose may well be joyous but it's also repetitive.

#changetherecordandmoveon
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010

Chorus = Fiat
    Record = Alfa
    Super R = Ferrari

I've had a number of fiats, and I have chorus, there aren't that many similarities!
    Insert bike here:
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited February 2021

Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    mpatts said:

Chorus = Fiat
    Record = Alfa
    Super R = Ferrari

I've had a number of fiats, and I have chorus, there aren't that many similarities!
    Chorus is still working I guess?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Not a fiat, but i had an Alfa (and i also have Chorus on one of my bikes).

Alfas have a bad rep for reliability, especially the electrics, but mine was pretty, much faultless apart from one dodgy MAF sensor. Never broke down once in about 8 years of ownership. I bloody loved that car.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

shortfall said:

They use Novatec hubs.

Funnily enough so does a well respected wheel builder or two.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/search?type=product&q=Novatec

Nobody has said Novatec aren't ok, just that Malcolm tells you he's using them wheras Hunt rebrand them as their own and wrap them up in lots of marketing spiel.
    I don't think Hunt disguise the hubs they use, any more than Miche hide where they get their bearings, or Colnago hide the stem they stamp a clover leaf on.

they do disuise the hubs and freewheels in both tbeir marketing and by printing their name all over them ....
    Same as my Wheelsmith 50mm carbon wheels. Generic Taiwanese/Chinese hubs with Wheelsmith etched on the hub body and skewer. Have I been conned?

Daughter and I have four sets of Hunt wheels between us - 2 x 4 Season CX disc, 1 x Road Aero, 1 x 50mm carbon disc - not had a single issue with any of them*, they’ve performed well, stayed true. Would happily buy again. Customer service also excellent. Swap from QR to Thru Axle? No probs, parts in stock and arrive next day.

Good quality, great customer service, fair price. Seems to be a decent business model.

* damaged a rim hitting a big rock gravel riding. Hunt sold me a ‘crash replacement’ rim half price, and I’ve taken up wheelbuilding.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    elbowloh said:

Not a fiat, but i had an Alfa (and i also have Chorus on one of my bikes).

Alfas have a bad rep for reliability, especially the electrics, but mine was pretty, much faultless apart from one dodgy MAF sensor. Never broke down once in about 8 years of ownership. I bloody loved that car.

We were looking at a Stelvio. Didn't make a particularly nice noise, not great inside, and the PCP deals are dreadful because residual values are like lead boots. Nearest dealer is nearly 2 hours away as well. Shame. Looked nice, handled well and I could put up with the rest, other than price.
  • mark8191
    mark8191 Posts: 74
    Anyway... I ended up getting the DT Swiss PR1600's, which I really like but after 100 miles the rear wheels has started making a ticking sound. I've ruled out the sound coming from the gears or rotors. The sound happens randomly but only when pedalling and sounds like it coming from the spokes.

What can I do to solve this issue?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    mark8191 said:

Anyway... I ended up getting the DT Swiss PR1600's, which I really like but after 100 miles the rear wheels has started making a ticking sound. I've ruled out the sound coming from the gears or rotors. The sound happens randomly but only when pedalling and sounds like it coming from the spokes.

Send them back and buy some hunts?
  • mark8191
    mark8191 Posts: 74

mark8191 said:

Send them back and buy some hunts?
    LOL
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    Hadn't managed to answer in the other thread but if you want to check spoke tensions are even just pluck each spoke in turn, if tensions are even the pitch will be the same. Drive side and non drive side may be different, but should be even though each side.
    Try a spot of lube where the spokes cross and at each end as well.