Hunt Wheels

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

Ben6899 said:

Ben6899 said:

Just looked them up. Christ, they're expensive!

You could build something around Chris King hubs for that price.

Yikes! I just looked them as well. They have ceramic bearings which is the cycling equivalent of p*ssing money against a wall.

Super wide so make sure they can fit your frame.

I'd definitely do what Ben said and get wheels built with some high spec hubs.

I'm pretty much live and let live, people spend their money how they like... but ceramic bearings anywhere on the bike and these huge jockey wheels everyone fawns over... people are being fuck1ng ripped off.

Keep your drivetrain clean and train to power. It's cheaper.
    If these oversized jockey wheels genuinely saved a bunch of watts then the groupset manufacturers would spec them as standard on their high end rear mechs and release a bunch of marketing about it.

If Shimano/Campag/SRAM aren't convinced then we shouldn't be either.
    My grandsons Frog bike has a large jockey wheel on a Shimano rear mech
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

If you see hunt as a marketing engine for wheels you understand the company better. They are very good at marketing. They happen to be selling wheels but i am sure the people who run could turn there hand at marketing and selling something else. Thats not pissing in there pot. What they do earn the owners an income, pays there staff and keeps the customers happy enough to come back for more. They have to be doing something right.

^^^This^^^

I've not got a set of Hunt wheels & have never ridden any so I've no knowledge either way but they are clearly very good at what they do which is selling wheels.

Yes they may be marketed up to the eyeballs but the proof is in the pudding. If the wheels were that bad & there were thousands of unhappy owners out there, this is the internet & you'd certainly hear about it. You don't shift the amount of product they do without the product being at least half decent IMO.

Yes @MattFalle says there are "better" options out there & I don't doubt that as he probably knows a lot more than me (most folk do, it's why I come on here to learn) but if the OP or anyone else buys a set & they're happy with them - Hunt are happy & so is the purchaser so it's all good.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    ibr17xvii said:

If you see hunt as a marketing engine for wheels you understand the company better. They are very good at marketing. They happen to be selling wheels but i am sure the people who run could turn there hand at marketing and selling something else. Thats not pissing in there pot. What they do earn the owners an income, pays there staff and keeps the customers happy enough to come back for more. They have to be doing something right.

^^^This^^^

I've not got a set of Hunt wheels & have never ridden any so I've no knowledge either way but they are clearly very good at what they do which is selling wheels.

Yes they may be marketed up to the eyeballs but the proof is in the pudding. If the wheels were that bad & there were thousands of unhappy owners out there, this is the internet & you'd certainly hear about it. You don't shift the amount of product they do without the product being at least half decent IMO.

Yes @MattFalle says there are "better" options out there & I don't doubt that as he probably knows a lot more than me (most folk do, it's why I come on here to learn) but if the OP or anyone else buys a set & they're happy with them - Hunt are happy & so is the purchaser so it's all good.
    well, no, its not good as you are condoning and, whats worse, more than happily assisting someone in getting mugged off for very average stuff at top dollar prices.

its what clubbies do and as we know, thats not good.

he asked for advice and he has got some very good advice from a broad spectrum of people. buying hunt wheels is not good advice.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

well, no, its not good as you are condoning and, whats worse, more than happily assisting someone in getting mugged off for very average stuff at top dollar prices.

he asked for advice and he has got some very good advice from a broad spectrum of people. buying hunt wheels is not good advice.
    You do have a real hatred of Hunt eh?
  • MattFalle
    vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

no, not really. tbg, they aren't any worse than dopey millar's clthing brand, passione, that nob yanto barker's lot, band of climbers, etc.

i just don't like seeing people get mugged for their had earnt. to condone it as the bloke above has done is wrong.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

If you read the 1st paragraph of my post then tell me how I was assisting someone in getting mugged off?

Have you actually had any experience of said wheels to base your opinion on that you post on literally every thread that mention Hunt cos as @vegas76 says you do seem to have it in for them.

In your world it seems any "clubbie" who has Hunt wheels & internal cable routing on their bike should be burned at the stake.
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2021
    yes I do have experience with them - they aren't that good.

I built a bike for a friend to do the Etape.

First pair straight out of the box had to be sent back as the rim was fkde and either wouldn't hold the tyre on or punctured the tube due to delamination. they got changed.

the second the freewheel kept on loosening because the hub was chip shop.

they got lobbed in his loft to gather dust.

on a thousand pound pair of wheels.

total chip shop dude.

burning clubbies at the stake, although it would be blimmin' good fun, is a bit overkill. I'm make them eat cheapo supermarket energy gels until they stopped deep throating marketing hype and being such bell ends when they go out riding.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,669
    MattFalle said:

vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

no, not really. tbg, they aren't any worse than dopey millar's clthing brand, passione, that nob yanto barker's lot, band of climbers, etc.

i just don't like seeing people get mugged for their had earnt. to condone it as the bloke above has done is wrong.
    Says the guy who buys dura ace at twice the price as ultegra because it is "better". Some would say you've been mugged off.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

Says the guy who buys dura ace at twice the price as ultegra because it is "better". Some would say you've been mugged off.
    and this is exactly why i did buy it.

as well as the weight saving, better construction design, better material and the fact the it annoys clubbies and i don't want to ride with ultegra because its sshittt.

and it annoys clubbies like FA.

As we say, job jobbed, end ex.
  • MattFalle
    as well as all the reasons Ugo is buying one.

• ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

yes I do have experience with them - they aren't that good.

I built a bike for a friend to do the Etape.

First pair straight out of the box had to be sent back as the rim was fkde and either wouldn't hold the tyre on or punctured the tube due to delamination. they got changed.

the second the freewheel kept on loosening because the hub was chip shop.

they got lobbed in his loft to gather dust.

on a thousand pound pair of wheels.

total chip shop dude.

burning clubbies at the stake, although it would be blimmin' good fun, is a bit overkill. I'm make them eat cheapo supermarket energy gels until they stopped deep throating marketing hype and being such bell ends when they go out riding.

Fair enough.

FWIW I’m not condoning anything, I’m just saying there is an alternative viewpoint to yours & there will be plenty of satisfied Hunt customers out there otherwise they wouldn’t exist.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

vegas76 said:

MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

^^^This^^^

and this is exactly why i did buy it.

as well as the weight saving, better construction design, better material and the fact the it annoys clubbies and i don't want to ride with ultegra because its sshittt.

and it annoys clubbies like FA.

As we say, job jobbed, end ex.

D/A is better at pretty much everything you say. Guess if you want to spunk twice the price, approx £2000 instead of £1000, for the full groupset, so that you can get one up on 'the clubbies' (some of whom will be riding SRAM or Campag) and drop something like 200g weight then it's maybe the right choice. 'Clubbies' who choose vfm over tiny performance/weight differences, for something that essentially is there to do a job then go for it but when you are toiling up a climb or battering into a headwind then how bland a rear mech or shifter is kind of immaterial.
    Also, when buying a complete bike these days generally the equipment across the bike is at a level with the frame as a common factor across different models, so a Dura-Ace equipped bike will be a lot more expensive than the same frame with Ultegra as the wheels, finishing kit will also be a higher spec. Spend £7000 or £4000 because you've decided upon the frame you want and the D/A model is much dearer, out of the price range of many of us.

Regarding the wheels, research the mass of opinions for wheels in your price range then go for it - this forum isn't the only place with (unbiased) knowledge as youwill see!
    There are brands for all equipment, big and small, who some people love and others slate. Hunt do seem to promote themselves a lot on the Internet (I see their adds on my feeds) but that's not necessarily a +ve or -ve, they'll have determined that this is a good way of spending their marketing ££ having started as unknowns not that far back.

If you've an LBS that you deal with then try asking them what they have in your price range - advantage here would be they'd handle any issues far more readily than if you come in with a random set of wheels that have unique components such as spokes.
  • MattFalle
    Sorry - that was so long none of us are sure what you are saying.

can you shorten it/bullet points please.
  • andyrr
    MattFalle said:

Sorry, too many words for everyone on here you are representing obviously.

For many riders, club members or not, Ultegra is great, Dura Ace better still but differences are too small to be worthy of the big cost uplift and it's 'blandness' is a irrelevance in the real world. I've never met a rider across the clubs I've associated with who gave a stuff about the level of equipment on your bike, something which seems to be a big deal in your cycling life.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

You spent twice as much as you needed to.

Love the stuff about better design/materials, btw. You've fallen for the sales pitch. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out the hypocrisy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clubbie". If it is dressing up in the same kit as your mates for going out in the countryside, that's your job isn't it?
  • MattFalle
    ah, clubbie speaking for clubbies. cool.

although i presume you use ultegra and, for some reason are proud of it, ultegra is not great. far from. see posts passim.

if clubbies across the empire of clubs that you know aren't interested in what groupset you have and don't aspire to own the best, then thats a bit, well, sad, isn't it? tbh, they'd be better off using 105 as it has all the benefits of Ultegra but is cheaper and a nicer colour. I've just fitted some new 105 to a friend's bike and its nicer than 8000 ultegra tbh.

and of course you should care about the level of bits on your bike otherwise we'd all be riding around on, well, your bike, and it seems from your own words that it may not be the best.

I like to look at my bikes as they have nice bits on and are cool with, apart from the winter bike and a Dura Ace cassette, absolutely no Shimano on them at all. It seems that yours may not and is not. Same goes for other people's bikes.

tbh, again, you've probably answered a long standibg question: if they don't care what their bikes look or perform like (your words) then that would explain why all their kits are so fckign horrible.

And for that we give you props and respect, fam.
  • andyrr
    Back to wheels .... If you've time to continue looking around and researching then do that, including, as I mentioned, speaking to your LBS if you have one whose opinions you value.
    Also deals will pop up that may put better wheels into your price range so keep an eye open for these.
  • First.Aspect
    Not actually a member of a club.

Yup, I have Ultegra shifters and mechs on most of my bikes. The only thing I feel strongly about is the price of Dura Ace.

With my meagre salary I need to think twice before dumping a grand or two on something that functions identically to what I have.
  • ibr17xvii
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

ah, clubbie speaking for clubbies. cool.

although i presume you use ultegra and, for some reason are proud of it, ultegra is not great. far from. see posts passim.

if clubbies across the empire of clubs that you know aren't interested in what groupset you have and don't aspire to own the best, then thats a bit, well, sad, isn't it? tbh, they'd be better off using 105 as it has all the benefits of Ultegra but is cheaper and a nicer colour. I've just fitted some new 105 to a friend's bike and its nicer than 8000 ultegra tbh.

and of course you should care about the level of bits on your bike otherwise we'd all be riding around on, well, your bike, and it seems from your own words that it may not be the best.

I like to look at my bikes as they have nice bits on and are cool with, apart from the winter bike and a Dura Ace cassette, absolutely no Shimano on them at all. It seems that yours may not and is not. Same goes for other people's bikes.

tbh, again, you've probably answered a long standibg question: if they don't care what their bikes look or perform like (your words) then that would explain why all their kits are so fckign horrible.

And for that we give you props and respect, fam.

I'm sure you're a nice guy IRL - you have strong opinions & that's fine cos at the end of the day it's a forum & it's all about views. You do genuinely try to help folk but you really should cut out all the condescending nonsense & the attitude that you're always right & anyone who says otherwise is a "clubbie".
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,964
    Don't worry, MattFalle is so far up his own arse his head comes back out again.
    He was probably kicked out of a club for being a prick and has blamed every cycling club ever formed for that.

The hypocrisy of slagging off Hunt whilst buying Durace is hilarious and proves my first point.
  • MattFalle
    massively discounted dura ace. the two words are the most important. no way should anyone in this world pay £179 for a cassette. thats absolutely blimmin' ridiculous.

its to go on the bike with massively discounted Red groupset if that helps.

anyway, back to wheels....
  • MattFalle

Don't worry, MattFalle is so far up his own censored his head comes back out again.
    He was probably kicked out of a club for being a censored and has blamed every cycling club ever formed for that.

The hypocrisy of slagging off Hunt whilst buying Durace is hilarious and proves my first point.

serious question - can you get kicked out of a cycling club.
  • Dorset_Boy
    MattFalle said:

Don't worry, MattFalle is so far up his own censored his head comes back out again.
    He was probably kicked out of a club for being a censored and has blamed every cycling club ever formed for that.

It's a club.
    Surely you're not dense enough to not understand the implication.

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

It's a club.

so why are they all full of bell ends then? the bar must be really high to get thrown out

anyway, back to wheels.
  • Dorset_Boy
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

It's a club.

so why are they all full of bell ends then? the bar must be really high to get thrown out

anyway, back to wheels.
    You clearly have no or minimal experience, and throw around condescending and insulting generalisations.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I think you guys are taking this all far too seriously 🤣
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

It is quite difficult, but I am sure you could achieve it if you really set your mind to it MF.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,733
    Yeah, can you hold off for a bit, my popcorn is done so I need to pop to the local cornstore to stock up.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    orraloon said:

Yeah, can you hold off for a bit, my popcorn is done so I need to pop to the local cornstore to stock up.

Yup its been quite a show.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

It is quite difficult, but I am sure you could achieve it if you really set your mind to it MF.
    tbh, i'm up for most challenges but this one.....