Hunt Wheels

Looking to upgrade my Giant PR2 wheels on the road bike and quite like the look of Hunts offerings.

I've been looking at the Aero light, 4 Seasons and Mason X models (all alloy). My only requirements are that they must be lighter than the PR2's (easily done at nearly 2kg!) and more robust. My first thought was to go with the Aero lights as I'll only ever be riding these on the road but I wonder whether their claimed weight of sub 1500g would make them less robust than my current set of hoops? The latter two models seem to be marketed as a road/ gravel wheel set than all out road.

If anyone have any experience with Hunt or the wheel sets mentioned I'd love to hear your thoughts? :smile:

Mark.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    They're not bad wheels, the parts they use are nothing special and are readily available so there's nothing special about them despite what some of their marketing may say.

They'll be an upgrade on your current wheels, I've heard from plenty of people that the customer service is very good. I'd personally always get wheels from a wheel builder but the Hunts would do a job.

Unless you're particularly heavy the aero lights should be fine for road use.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Do a quick look on here - its a common topic.

in short though, no.

overpriced, not that good, average parts, top end dollar. bit bland.

malcolm @ cycleclinic is your boy or merlin wheels, prime, selcof - all use exactly the same bits but far cheaper.

the clubbies seem to like them but generally thats down to having bought them by getting sucked into marketing then being too embarrased by having spent lots on a bland wheelset to say otherwise.

don't get mugged by hunt. far better out tbere for the money, equivalent for far less.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    They aren't top dollar as MF suggests. Flip side about standard parts is serviceability.

They aren't rock bottom price wise either, but you get UK consumer protection and their customer service really is very good.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2021
    Are those actually any cheaper? I specced up some Borgs once, which are also a collection of standard parts, and they came in at more than the set of Xentis that I now own, and also the Mavics I now own.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Matt, were you kicked out of a club or something?

😉
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I’ve got a pair. They’re round and they spin well. Which is what you want in a pair of wheels isn’t it? I basically got their cheapest disc wheel set.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    Have you looked at Scribe or Cero?
    I was going to buy the first, then the latter, before I stumbled on a too good to resist offer on a 2nd hand pair if Enves.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • OP, as you have specifically said you want a robust set of wheels I would avoid Hunt. I bought a set a few years back and returned them unused. They seemed a perfectly decent set of wheels but to get them light they are, in my opinion, not built for heavy use. Lightweight hubs and rims and generally felt like a set of good weather race wheels. Nothing wrong if that is what you are after but I get the impression you want something sturdier.

I can vouch for Wheelsmith and Cycleclinic (Malcolm who posts on here). Have to say I also have a set of mavic ksyrium pro I have been very surprised by, they are excellent wheels.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    DCR and Spokesman also good for handbuilts.

Best bet is to email a couple with your budget and requirements and see what they suggest.
  • iso2000
    iso2000 Posts: 28
    I have used a pair of Hunt Aero Light wheels for several years now and had no problems. They were a noticeable improvement on the stock Trek wheels they replaced. My only concern with buying a pair now is that they aren't as wide as the latest wheels (17mm internal). What about the 34 Aero Wide?
  • OP Definitely go hand built. If you aren't fussed about running tubeless, get some Archetypes on Novatec / Bitex hubs. I've got wheels from DCR and Malcolm - they have been faultless and durable and easily serviced.
  • By robust I mean something that wont break spokes at the first sign of a pot hole. Will be riding typical UK roads and not over any bridle ways or anything remotely "off road". My second choice would be the DT Swiss PR1600.

I just want something noticeably lighter than my stock wheels that I won't have to worry about letting me down on a long ride in the middle of nowhere. I really don't know much about wheels so wouldn't know where to start with getting a set hand built from a builder.
  • MattFalle
    mark8191 said:

By robust I mean something that wont break spokes at the first sign of a pot hole. Will be riding typical UK roads and not over any bridle ways or anything remotely "off road". My second choice would be the DT Swiss PR1600.

I just want something noticeably lighter than my stock wheels that I won't have to worry about letting me down on a long ride in the middle of nowhere. I really don't know much about wheels so wouldn't know where to start with getting a set hand built from a builder.

then avoid Hunts.

seems like you have been sucked in by their marketing unfortunately ....

Its simple: pick up telephone, phone Malcom, explain what ypu want and your budget, he'll build it for you.

Order go on internet, buy Prime, Merlin, Selcof or a pair of Kyseriums.

But not Hunts.

Job jobbed.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited January 2021
    mark8191 said:

By robust I mean something that wont break spokes at the first sign of a pot hole. Will be riding typical UK roads and not over any bridle ways or anything remotely "off road". My second choice would be the DT Swiss PR1600.

Hi Mark, you're honest enough to admit you don't know much about wheels so here's what to take away. Email or ring a reputable wheelbuilder (Cycle Clinic and Spokesman wheels are 2 of the best I know of but do your own research) tell them what type of riding you do and how much you weigh, whether you're particularly strong etc and what your budget is. They will then build you a wheel that is.perfect for you and your intended use. For example if you prioritise strength and reliability over ultimate lightness they will use a higher spoke count and more robust hubs. In any case they'll only be a few hundred grammes more than a factory set of wheels at most and possibly just as light if that's what you want. They will use good components like Sapim spokes and maybe Miche or Hope hubs depending on budget that are readily available and serviceable. If you buy factory wheels some are pretty good but they're often built with many unnecessary compromises to fit in with trends and marketing BS. So they might have low spoke counts which purport to be lighter and look Pro but then the rim has to be heavier to compensate and if the wheel goes out of true it's an absolute b1tch to sort out. They will often have one off spokes or hubs that go out of stock quickly or have long lead times when you need replacements. I don't know much about Hunts but they seem pricey for average componentry. My advice is to pick up the phone to Malcolm at Cycle Clinic. Great wheels, great advice, great customer service and the best guarantee in the business.
  • First.Aspect
    The advantage of Hunts is that you can order them online in about 30 seconds, without the need to talk to a bicycle whisperer.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

The advantage of Hunts is that you can order them online in about 30 seconds, without the need to talk to a bicycle whisperer.

People will scoff but there is something to be said for that.

Different spokes for different folks.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • shortfall said:

mark8191 said:

Hi Mark, you're honest enough to admit you don't know much about wheels so here's what to take away. Email or ring a reputable wheelbuilder (Cycle Clinic and Spokesman wheels are 2 of the best I know of but do your own research) tell them what type of riding you do and how much you weigh, whether you're particularly strong etc and what your budget is. They will then build you a wheel that is.perfect for you and your intended use. For example if you prioritise strength and reliability over ultimate lightness they will use a higher spoke count and more robust hubs. In any case they'll only be a few hundred grammes more than a factory set of wheels at most and possibly just as light if that's what you want. They will use good components like Sapim spokes and maybe Miche or Hope hubs depending on budget that are readily available and serviceable. If you buy factory wheels some are pretty good but they're often built with many unnecessary compromises to fit in with trends and marketing BS. So they might have low spoke counts which purport to be lighter and look Pro but then the rim has to be heavier to compensate and if the wheel goes out of true it's an absolute b1tch to sort out. They will often have one off spokes or hubs that go out of stock quickly or have long lead times when you need replacements. I don't know much about Hunts but they seem pricey for average componentry. My advice is to pick up the phone to Malcolm at Cycle Clinic. Great wheels, great advice, great customer service and the best guarantee in the business.
    Thank you, a few have mentioned Cycle clinic above so will have a look into them and enquire! :)
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Never had hunts myself but have considered them each time I have needed new wheels because the riders I know who have hunts all seem pretty happy with them and recommend them.
  • shortfall

Sure, and if you just want a set of wheels that will be as good or better than Hunts or factory hoops and you don't want to speak to a human being then it's as easy as clicking this link and choosing the ones you want.

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-rim-brake-wheelsets
  • MattFalle
    redvision said:

Never had hunts myself but have considered them each time I have needed new wheels because the riders I know who have hunts all seem pretty happy with them and recommend them.

see above.

I've had the misfortune to have to deal with a few pairs. oh dear oh dear oh dear.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited January 2021
    Or Rohan Dubash: http://doctord.co.uk/

He doesn't list wheel building on his website, but he certainly offers that service. If you look at his Facebook page and see the attention he gives customers' bikes when he services/fixes them, then you'll understand what he puts into his wheels...

Also, this is his book: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21033627-bike-mechanic. He really knows what he's talking about.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • First.Aspect
    shortfall said:

Sure, and if you just want a set of wheels that will be as good or better than Hunts or factory hoops and you don't want to speak to a human being then it's as easy as clicking this link and choosing the ones you want.

Given the number of wheelbuilders out there, I've always found this fan boy following on here bothersome.

• shortfall

shortfall said:

Given the number of wheelbuilders out there, I've always found this fan boy following on here bothersome.

I have a set of Cycle Clinic wheels and also some Spokesman ones so they're what I know about and I don't think it makes someone a fanboy if they're making a recommendation based on personal experience. I did tell the OP to do his own research. Nobody's stopping him buying Hunts if that's what he wants to do, just giving him friendly advice and other options.
  • First.Aspect
    Just compared some 50mm carbon clincher rim brake wheels.

Prices are similar to Hunt.

Materials similar to Hunt.
  • shortfall
    edited January 2021

I think you just want an argument. The difference being if you want Hunts you get what you're given which is probably Kinlin Rims (not sure which carbon rims they use) Pillar spokes and Novatec hubs rebranded as "Hunt" and a premium price for what is an average spec. If you ring cycle clinic (as I suggested) you can have a choice of rims, spokes, hubs, spoke lacing arrangement, the nipples of your choice, weight or ride quality or longevity prioritised and an industry beating guarantee at a competitive price. I get it If you like Hunts, I don't have a problem with that.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2021
    shortfall said:

I think you just want an argument. The difference being if you want Hunts you get what you're given which is probably Kinlin Rims (not sure which carbon rims they use) Pillar spokes and Novatec hubs rebranded as "Hunt" and a premium price for what is an average spec. If you ring cycle clinic (as I suggested) you can have a choice of rims, spokes, hubs, spoke lacing arrangement, the nipples of your choice, weight or ride quality or longevity prioritised and an industry beating guarantee at a competitive price. I get it If you like Hunts, I don't have a problem with that.
    You have more choice, sure. I don't give a hoot really. Worst wheels I ever had were hand built, best have been Mavics.

I'm pointing out there's not much difference. The borgs I looked at are certainly open mould Chinese rims and Miche hubs - better or worse than Novatecs? Who knows. They probably use the same quality bearings. I didn't compare spokes.

People have strong definitive views that aren't necessarily objective.
  • MattFalle
    I think the one thing we can all agree on though is that Hunts are distnctly average to sub average in performance with a top dollar pricetag......
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I have a set of the Hunt 4 Season Version 1, 17mm I.D. alu shallow rim brake 24/28 spoke, have had no problems with them in the five years I have owned them. They were bought as replacements for the narrow O.E. Giant PR-2 wheels fitted to my Defy. I bought them as they were competitvely priced and matched the spec. I wanted. Other wheelsets I Iooked at had either lower spoke counts and /or used alloy nipples and were dearer. I also own lbs handbuilt wheelsets for my MTB
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,145
    I think MattFalle is perhaps being a bit harsh in terms of performance; Hunt ultimately buy in rims & hubs from the big players and lace them together and put their graphics on. In many cases, they will be exactly the same components as you get with lots of wheelbuilders or shop own brand wheels.

And that is where my problem lies with Hunt. If you look at the specs of Prime Attaquer, they are pretty much identical to that of Hunt Aero Light, but at £150 less. Barouders are very similar spec to base level Hunts and will be a good upgrade on your stock wheels for £250. Carbon wheels you're looking at £2-300 difference for a nigh on identical product.

Hunts are not expensive in the overall scheme of things - certainly they will come in cheap compared to Mavic, Fulcrum or most of the other more traditional wheel makers. The come in at a similar cost to handbuilts as has been noted earlier in the thread. But you're not getting a handbuilt wheel, or a Mavic - you're getting a Kinlin rim with a Novatec hub same as Prime, Merlin but at c25% more.
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2021
    Good points well presented but they aren’t built by Hunt - they are built in same factory as the Chinese jobs off the ‘Bay etc.

They’re just, meh, but at wow prices.

I’d have a set of Kyseriums over a set of Hunts tbh.