Hunt Wheels

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Don't worry, MattFalle is so far up his own censored his head comes back out again.
    He was probably kicked out of a club for being a censored and has blamed every cycling club ever formed for that.

The hypocrisy of slagging off Hunt whilst buying Durace is hilarious and proves my first point.

serious question - can you get kicked out of a cycling club.
    It's a club.
    Surely you're not dense enough to not understand the implication.

so why are they all full of bell ends then? the bar must be really high to get thrown out

anyway, back to wheels.
    You clearly have no or minimal experience, and throw around condescending and insulting generalisations.
    or, on the flipside, have lots of experience and am speaking the truth?

there seems to be a lot of clubbie condescension going on around here.....

mec, you're in a club. savour the joy. you don't need to protect it. or are you hoping the road captain will see your post and name drop you at the christmas dinner?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Interview with Luisa Grappone (Engineer at Hunt) in the latest Rouleur.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    Keep a copy for matt. He might get rather excited.
  • Ben6899
    They’re definitely putting thought into the wheels although it has to be said I remain unconvinced that a wider wheel/tyre profile is better than a narrower one when we’re talking about cutting through wind.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

They’re definitely putting thought into the wheels although it has to be said I remain unconvinced that a wider wheel/tyre profile is better than a narrower one when we’re talking about cutting through wind.

i'll read the article when i buy the mag this week, so this following statement may change, but tbh she's not exactly gonna sit there and say "well, yeah, the marketing is great but tbh, all we do is sit there with a catalogue from the factory and pick the cheapest stuff that we know the clubbies will buy in order to maximise profit. You may as well buy some Farsports as they are made on the conveyor belt next to ours" is she?
  • MattFalle
    vegas76 said:

Keep a copy for matt. He might get rather excited.

i'm dizzy at the thought B)
  • MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

is she in a lab coat?
  • Ben6899
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

is she in a lab coat?
    You will be disappointed.

Ben

• Ben6899
    MattFalle said:

she's not exactly gonna sit there and say "well, yeah, the marketing is great but tbh, all we do is sit there with a catalogue from the factory and pick the cheapest stuff that we know the clubbies will buy in order to maximise profit. You may as well buy some Farsports as they are made on the conveyor belt next to ours" is she?

I don’t disagree.
    Ben

• ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    edited February 2021
    MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

i'll read the article when i buy the mag this week, so this following statement may change, but tbh she's not exactly gonna sit there and say "well, yeah, the marketing is great but tbh, all we do is sit there with a catalogue from the factory and pick the cheapest stuff that we know the clubbies will buy in order to maximise profit. You may as well buy some Farsports as they are made on the conveyor belt next to ours" is she?

She's also not exactly gonna sit there and say "well, yeah, our wheels are actually s**t cos as soon as they're mentioned on Bikeradar the same guy jumps in & slags them off so we're gonna completely redesign them cos he obviously knows better than we do & he's seriously affecting our sales to clubbies".

Maybe if she said "actually they roll far better with a Dura Ace groupo than Ultegra" you might buy some.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited February 2021
    I don't have a dog in the fight here having never owned or ridden Hunt wheels so my opinion is based solely on what I have read and what is readily available on Hunts own website. They use some pretty standard and unremarkable parts to make what appear to be half decent wheels with a pretty good warranty. Yeah they're overpriced for what they are and you're paying for a bunch of marketing and advertising, but how is that different from a ton of other stuff aimed at cyclists by the industry? I don't get the hate. Nobody is holding customers at gun point. Truth be told we could all ride around on a £1500 Ribble with Tiagra if value for money and the absence of hype are the only criteria that we're judging on.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I quite fancy a Ribble 725 with 105.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    Those Mavics I linked to above went instantly.

These Hunts - not so much.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13114816/hunt-carbon-30-disc-wheelset#latest

Think that says it all.
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2021
    ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

She's also not exactly gonna sit there and say "well, yeah, our wheels are actually s**t cos as soon as they're mentioned on Bikeradar the same guy jumps in & slags them off so we're gonna completely redesign them cos he obviously knows better than we do & he's seriously affecting our sales to clubbies".

Maybe if she said "actually they roll far better with a Dura Ace groupo than Ultegra" you might buy some.
    not really because I don't use Dura Ace apart from massively discounted cassettes because I don't particularly like it.

But good post though. 7/10 for effort. One to report back to the social secretary at the club i reckon. Carry on and you may get a mention in the club newsletter.

also, if you look at the above thread there is a fairly wide demographic that don't rate them, so its not just the same bloke.

how are yours by the way?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,957
    MattFalle said:

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13114816/hunt-carbon-30-disc-wheelset#latest

Think that says it all.

It's either that or the price. Which is £100 worse in comparison to rrp than those Mavics.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

MattFalle said:

Think that says it all.

It's either that or the price. Which is £100 worse in comparison to rrp than those Mavics.
    Or that the poor chap is never gonna sell his Hunts on Bike Radar as they've been slagged off all over the forum!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    edited February 2021
    I'd consider them for £300. Better than my HED
    Ardennes. Except for the hubs, which will be a bit basic.
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

Ben6899 said:

not really because I don't use Dura Ace apart from massively discounted cassettes because I don't particularly like it.

But good post though. 7/10 for effort. One to report back to the social secretary at the club i reckon. Carry on and you may get a mention in the club newsletter.

also, if you look at the above thread there is a fairly wide demographic that don't rate them, so its not just the same bloke.

how are yours by the way?

If you bothered to actually read what I've posted you'll know the answer to that.

Do try & keep up.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    To add again to this thread:

I ride bikes a lot, I'm no mechanic. I have raced a bit. I don't own any Rapha.

I have a set of Boras and a set of Hunts. Happy with both, in their own ways.
    Insert bike here:
  • MattFalle
    bet you still paid too much for them though, which is sad.

#sadface
  • vegas76
    MattFalle said:

#sadface

Omg seriously. You picked quite a hill to die on. Don't you have better things to do?
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

#sadface

Yeah because Campag stuff is great value....
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

#sadface

quality doesn't come cheap, except in the case of hunt wheels
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#sadface

Neither does the winged wheel logo.
  • Bora's or Hunt's? Are we really comparing the 2? :)
  • ibr17xvii
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#sadface

Change the record.
  • ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#sadface

Change the record.
    To what, Ultegra? ;-)
  • vegas76
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#sadface

Cheap quality is good right?
  • ibr17xvii

ibr17xvii said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

#sadface

Change the record.
    To what, Ultegra? ;-)

Only if it will p**s off the clubbies :)
  • MattFalle
    Why? so people can get mugged?

Nah. Much like hunt wheels and their price.

Why are you so defensive over them?