Should Chris Froome swallow his pride and retire?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,286
    andyp said:

I love that this contract, which no-one has seen except the parties who it applies to, is now worth £6 million. By the end of the year it'll be £10 million and Froome will have had to do the bare minimum to get it.

Second in the top 20, who is not living up to the expectations? I'd say Froome a long way ahead, then Sagan...

Tadej Pogačar (UAE Emirates): €6.0 million
    Chris Froome (Israel Start-Up Nation): €5.5 million
    Peter Sagan (TotalEnergies): €5.5 million
    Geraint Thomas (Ineos Grenadiers): €3.5 million
    Egan Bernal (Ineos Grenadiers): €2.8 million
    Michal Kwiatkowski (Ineos Grenadiers): €2.5 million
    Julian Alaphilippe (Quick-Step Alpha Vinyl): €2.3 million
    Alejandro Valverde (Movistar): €2.2 million
    Richard Carapaz (Ineos Grenadiers): €2.2 million
    Wout van Aert (Jumbo-Visma): €2.2 million
    Vincenzo Nibali (Astana Qazaqstan): €2.1 million
    Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma): €2.0 million
    Mathieu van der Poel (Alpecin-Fenix): €2.0 million
    Adam Yates (Ineos Grenadiers): €2.0 million
    Thibaut Pinot (Groupama-FDJ): €2.0 million
    Romain Bardet (Team DSM): €2.0 million
    Jakob Fuglsang (Israel-Premier Tech): €2.0 million
    Elia Viviani (Ineos Grenadiers): €1.9 million
    Nairo Quintana (Arkéa-Samsic): €1.9 million
    Fernando Gaviria (UAE Emirates): €1.8 million
    left the forum March 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,914
    Louis Meinjes currently riding his way onto the virtual podium.
    Bet he’d find this thread a good laugh.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,164

andyp said:

I love that this contract, which no-one has seen except the parties who it applies to, is now worth £6 million. By the end of the year it'll be £10 million and Froome will have had to do the bare minimum to get it.

Second in the top 20, who is not living up to the expectations? I'd say Froome a long way ahead, then Sagan...

These are all estimates, no-one knows for certain apart from the team management, the riders and their agents. Most teams don't publish accounts, so we don't have figures in the public realm about what their budgets actually are. Ineos/Sky are one of the few that do publish accounts, but even then all we know is the total budget for rider wages are, rather than individual riders.

Most big name riders have performance related contracts, so are paid a basic wage and then awarded bonuses on race wins, UCI points, etc. Froome's total contract might total €5.5 million, but that could include a €4 million bonus for winning the Tour for all we know.
  • andyp

The non-GC rider currently 7th with a week to go.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180

Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,405
    Honestly, cycling would be a much better sport if less people took pops at GC....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    andyp said:

The non-GC rider currently 7th with a week to go.

It's because he's not a GC threat that he was allowed in that break and the break allowed that much time with nobody responding. If anything Jumbo should have tried to gift him the yellow jersey for a few days.

Froome could adopt a tactic of riding for 10th at the Vuelta - I doubt he'd achieve it but he might if he managed to get in the right breaks - but he's a multiple Tour winner on one of the biggest salaries in the peloton that's the point - for me trying to nab 10th at the Vuelta isn't a role for one of the most successful grand tour riders of all time. But it's subjective, you may feel that's more valuable than I do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,477

Pross said:

When he made his transfer I think it's fair to say most on here felt he'd done well to get such a good deal and wondered what ISN were doing but I suspect they knew they'd still get more coverage than they would for any other rider available to them. If they'd spent the same on a genuine top 10 GC contenders it would no doubt have also come with a list of well paid support riders they would have had to bring in.

How many riders in this Tour have had more TV coverage without really having to do much? Froome has been far more visible on TV than the likes of Mad or Quintana.

But what coverage? We have seen a couple of hours of his face in 2 weeks... we have never seen him before in any race that is actually televised. Once he gets up to a decent enough level, the press won't pay any attention to Froome finishing 3rd in a breakaway... this was a bit of a one off because he had been quiet for so long. Banking on air time is a waste of money, the press and the attention is after the winners, they don't care much for the Gilberts, the Nibalis the Valverdes or the Froomes, unless they are the winners.
    Based on this thread and the other coverage I've seen, Froomes 3rd o the Alpe has generated a lot more discussion than anything Quintana has done this race!

I mean look at it the other way, what other rider could ISN have brought who would have generated that much.
    With 6 millions they could have easily got WvA and/or Pogacar... I would say either of them would bring in more revenue than Froome by quite some margin. Failing that, Vingegaard and Roglic, MVdP, Alaphilippe...
    But they couldn't have got any of those. They're a nothing team with no history of success. They bought him to take them up a level in terms of their standing in the sport and hopefully results.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 244
    Why would a rider want to "retire" when they love what they do (ride a bike) - regardless of how successful they are relatively speaking?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I don't think there's any point in Froome muddling round for a potential GC top 10, and I don't think he will be able to win a GT again. Surely he is better off trying to win a stage.

The voice of reason.
    That's me...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,636
    airwise said:

Why would a rider want to "retire" when they love what they do (ride a bike) - regardless of how successful they are relatively speaking?

Yeah, you're a long time retired.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    10th in the KoM !!!
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    Vlasov has got in the break today.
    Just sayin'.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Great GC ride by Houle today - he should move up - and a stage win as a nice bonus !

• commuterlegs
    commuterlegs Posts: 271
    Froomedawg up to 25th after today, only 24 covid positives between him and number 5 now!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,180
    According to his head DS Rik Verbrugge, he's doing the Vuelta
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    As tough as this Tour has been, he seems to be getting stronger.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,002
    He has definitely far exceeded my expectations.
  • andyp

As tough as this Tour has been, he seems to be getting stronger.

He's always had that ability to hold his form longer than his rivals in a GT. I presume that is down to genetics, so isn't going away.
  • stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 237
    andyp said:

andyp said:

These are all estimates, no-one knows for certain apart from the team management, the riders and their agents. Most teams don't publish accounts, so we don't have figures in the public realm about what their budgets actually are. Ineos/Sky are one of the few that do publish accounts, but even then all we know is the total budget for rider wages are, rather than individual riders.

Most big name riders have performance related contracts, so are paid a basic wage and then awarded bonuses on race wins, UCI points, etc. Froome's total contract might total €5.5 million, but that could include a €4 million bonus for winning the Tour for all we know.
    Ineos' accounts absolutely do not cover rider wages budget. Their published total salaries are about £4m. I suspect the riders are paid through service companies.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Well
    He's not going to be in the tour anymore. He's caught Covid!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,877
    Hopefully he quickly gets over covid and builds on a largely positive tdf.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • DeVlaeminck
    Confirmed he plans to ride the Vuelta anyway - you'd guess he'll be selected.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    10th in the KoM !!!

Confirmed he plans to ride the Vuelta anyway - you'd guess he'll be selected.

so was the tdf just a training ride?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ugo.santalucia
    His tour was finished anyway. Today he didn’t have a chance and then it’s over…
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Pretty sure he wanted to get to Paris though, certainly got more emotion from his video than you normally see from him.

Will be interesting to see if he can continue to improve or not.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

You sure? Why, has he made it clear to you? He obviously wasn’t out to win the tour so he had other aims in mind it seemed to me. My take on his riding the tour was he needed to measure himself at the race he succeeded at in the past. He knows what his numbers were in the past and what they are now but only on the roads, in the heat of the hottest battle, does he see where his perceived level measures against the reality. Today, again, being a super hard mountain stage, at the tail-end of a GT, when, as someone previously had indicated, his resilience might have been relevant, he might have tried to have a serious attempt at sticking near the front for as long as possible. Who knows - he didn’t get the chance but today could have been one where he would see if he could a) do well on the day and b) see what his ability to absorb a 3 week GT was like.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I have seen too little from him to change my mind... breakaways are allowed to happen at discretion of the peloton, there is no particular glory in that... he did OK to be there on the final climb, but didn't have enough to stay with Pidcock and lost over a minute in the end. To put it in perspective, Pidcock never managed to stay with Pogacar, Vingegaard, Thomas, Kuss etc... he is young and might become a GC superstar, but he is not yet there.
    It's an OK performance for Froome, it's not a definitive return to form... I hope the Vuelta will be more revealing.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Will be interesting to see how he goes at the Vuelta.
    If he is still on an upwards trajectory whilst other riders are closer to their top level then his gains at the tour should be of benefit to him. If he can’t get closer to the top guys on a daily/overall basis then, 3 years after his crash it could indicate to Froome himself even- that he’s not realistically going to regain that.
    Should at least add another dimension to that race.
  • ugo.santalucia
    andyrr said:

Will be interesting to see how he goes at the Vuelta.
    If he is still on an upwards trajectory whilst other riders are closer to their top level then his gains at the tour should be of benefit to him. If he can’t get closer to the top guys on a daily/overall basis then, 3 years after his crash it could indicate to Froome himself even- that he’s not realistically going to regain that.
    Should at least add another dimension to that race.

He is 37, I think the only winner of the TdF older than that is... well, Bartali I reckon in 1948. On top of that, there is no shortage of young talented riders, possibly more talented than Froome at his very best! I think his GC days are well and truly over, unless he is happy to settle for 8th or 10th, which in principle he could still achieve. The question is whether he can recycle himself as a classics or stage hunter, but even there, the only example of someone successful at that level with that age is Valverde, Gilbert had his last hurrah at 37... since then he hasn't won anything of relevance and both are arguably better one day riders than Froome... they have the sprint, they have the punch, which he doesn't have... that doesn't leave much hope to see him on the podium of any race that matters...