2020 UCI Road World Championships, Imola - Sept 24th - 27th *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860

Wow, Ganna is flying

Been out on the course training a lot ?!
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • *eyeroll*

I get why you want to encourage innovation at the top end, and no alternative is necessarily better, but when riders are not winning because their kit isn't 'fast' enough - me no like.

That's inescapable in the TT game, where aerodynamics is king.

To be fair though most teams just buy whatever is the fastest and de-badge it (GCN had something about this with one of the Ineos TT bikes where they were using an Aerocoach disc wheel and a something else front wheel, despite having... Shimano?... wheel sponsors).

I thought below post from Dowsett was quite interesting:

here with a story. This pic was from a great stage 8 of the 2013 giro. I’m not going to sit here and say “back then it was better back then because of xy&z” I wanted to talk about how the TT game has changed. Then and now. For the record I enjoy now much more, it’s tougher to be competitive but I enjoy the process so much more.

I’d put money on a hunch that no current rider could win a top tier TT in 2020 with this setup, of course you could then, and many won races with worse setups and some teams even now have worse setups than this still, but to be competitive in 2020 this pictured wouldn’t cut the mustard. This bike was a pinarello graal with an 8cm handlebar stem flipped to point upwards, bolt on handlebars, cables everywhere. Very staple lycra overshoes with very standard socks hanging out the top because fashion. The helmet was a stab in the dark because Kiriyenka used the same, the skinsuit was simply the smallest I could fit into, not a trip, fancy fabric or intentionally placed/thickened seam in sight

Now everything is measureable and quantifiable, access to testing is much more abundant and data is accessible. The net result is speeds are much higher. Outside of the pro scene you can see this by the speeds of the domestic TT scene. This became highly apparent to me at a test run at the maldon 10 just recently. That course has been a testing ground over the years, refining pacing and technique mostly, gauging fitness and bike position by trial and error. I always take race kit, but that’s gone up a notch and I took all the top end race kit recently as a worlds practice run.

Every component being rigourously tested for speed in a tunnel or on track, my position being refined in the tunnel and being told what position to make comfortable and work instead of directing my position myself. An 18 round there eluded me for a long time until a warm still ‘float night’ last year. But last week, not ideal conditions, bit cold, taking zero risks in the turn, satisfactory but not mind blowing watts, 18.59 was a surprise. And shows how much the game has changed. And I love it.

Even to me, who knows hardly anything about it, he looks pretty amateur in that photo compared to today.
    Say what! That must be some p1ss take.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Possible Ineos podium sweep here. That will please the loons twitter. They're had a barren month up to now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ineos 1,2,3. >:)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    Dennis in second at check
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • It's bloody lucky Pogacar isn't in it, Thomas would be a minute down by now.
  • Dowsett looking very plump.... aging athletes, meh...
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,705

Ineos 1,2,3. >:)

WvA poops that party lol
  • rick_chasey
    Dumoulin almost bins it. shame.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    WvA 10s up on Thomas - not going to be enough to stop Ganna though I don't think
  • Damn, Thomas pushed to second.
  • bobmcstuff

*eyeroll*

I get why you want to encourage innovation at the top end, and no alternative is necessarily better, but when riders are not winning because their kit isn't 'fast' enough - me no like.

To be fair though most teams just buy whatever is the fastest and de-badge it (GCN had something about this with one of the Ineos TT bikes where they were using an Aerocoach disc wheel and a something else front wheel, despite having... Shimano?... wheel sponsors).

here with a story. This pic was from a great stage 8 of the 2013 giro. I’m not going to sit here and say “back then it was better back then because of xy&z” I wanted to talk about how the TT game has changed. Then and now. For the record I enjoy now much more, it’s tougher to be competitive but I enjoy the process so much more.

I’d put money on a hunch that no current rider could win a top tier TT in 2020 with this setup, of course you could then, and many won races with worse setups and some teams even now have worse setups than this still, but to be competitive in 2020 this pictured wouldn’t cut the mustard. This bike was a pinarello graal with an 8cm handlebar stem flipped to point upwards, bolt on handlebars, cables everywhere. Very staple lycra overshoes with very standard socks hanging out the top because fashion. The helmet was a stab in the dark because Kiriyenka used the same, the skinsuit was simply the smallest I could fit into, not a trip, fancy fabric or intentionally placed/thickened seam in sight

Now everything is measureable and quantifiable, access to testing is much more abundant and data is accessible. The net result is speeds are much higher. Outside of the pro scene you can see this by the speeds of the domestic TT scene. This became highly apparent to me at a test run at the maldon 10 just recently. That course has been a testing ground over the years, refining pacing and technique mostly, gauging fitness and bike position by trial and error. I always take race kit, but that’s gone up a notch and I took all the top end race kit recently as a worlds practice run.

Every component being rigourously tested for speed in a tunnel or on track, my position being refined in the tunnel and being told what position to make comfortable and work instead of directing my position myself. An 18 round there eluded me for a long time until a warm still ‘float night’ last year. But last week, not ideal conditions, bit cold, taking zero risks in the turn, satisfactory but not mind blowing watts, 18.59 was a surprise. And shows how much the game has changed. And I love it.

Even to me, who knows hardly anything about it, he looks pretty amateur in that photo compared to today.
    Which bit?
  • rick_chasey
    WvA with a medal.
  • *eyeroll*

Which bit?
    The bit about taking aerodynamics seriously by Dowsett.
  • Tom back to Dom I'm afraid.
  • Sh1t Thomas sitting in third now.
  • rick_chasey
    Ganna blows up WvA's time.
  • bobmcstuff

*eyeroll*

Which bit?
    The bit about taking aerodynamics seriously by Dowsett.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He knows what he's doing when it comes to aero.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    WVA will beat Dennis I think
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Glad the belgium doesn't win , just because.
  • rick_chasey
    WvA gets silver! That boy, holy moly.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ganna comes through way up on WvA - not going to be beaten by Dennis
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited September 2020
    Dennis 5th surprised at that.
  • bobmcstuff
    Ach, Thomas just outside the medals.

Good for the Giro though.
  • GANNA!!! A man from my region!!! Awesome
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dennis 3rd best Ineos rider.
    Who would have thought that possible before the start?
  • mididoctors
    ganna easy .. WVA is a monster . Kung deserves it .
  • Ach, Thomas just outside the medals.

Good for the Giro though.

Yeah.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Ganna looked wonderful, what a rider.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Yeah wells that was as predicted eh?

Thomas simmering nicely for next week.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver