2020 UCI Road World Championships, Imola - Sept 24th - 27th *Spoilers*

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

So for contrast, the fact that, say, someone like Campenaerts has used the opportunity of not being at the Tour to recce the route multiple times, whereas someone like WvA, who will obviously be coming out of the Tour with decent legs, hasn't been able to - is of more interest.

Dennis been recceing it too...
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

the wheel kept skipping. i think she locked upfront then shifted to the back brake once the first skip threw her way off line. still cant tell

Looked like a speed wobble when she picked up some wind going round the corner to me, but I am no expert in this.
    There is no wind in Imola... it would be very rare.
    They said something about she was supposed to use a different bike, but then the UCI didn't allow. Maybe she never rode the bike before... hydro brakes can be tricky to master
    Sounds like there was some wind about yesterday. And more today (30kmph gusts), with full blown storms over the weekend.
  • Its another point of detail
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

Yeah, it's inevitable, but sad.

I get anglo fans f*cking love kit - the endless Boardman droning on about it and the chorus of "oh how fascinating", oh my god - but it's certainly not what I like in my bike racing.

As shirley said - it's all about the detail. All of the detail - who's recce'd the course, who's using what kit, who's been in the wind tunnel, who's got the best position, who's been training most on their TT bike (OK that's mostly in GTs, since some GC contenders seem to train more or less on their TT bikes - you would think for the Worlds everyone would have spent a lot of time on the TT bike...), what the wind is like, whether it's going to change through the day etc etc etc. And who has good legs!
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    Is it true that they don't wear radios for UCI events?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame said:

Never understood why they use normal 'race radios' in TTs anyway - the tech doesn't seem to have moved on in years and they are relatively bulky (un aero) things sticking out the back of the skinsuit.
    A small phone with a bluetooth earpiece and have a call ongoing with the car behind, or even better there must be small, compact back to back radios available - they don't need much range - the car is 20m behind them.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,155
    edited September 2020
    I just saw a picture of Chloe Dygaert's leg after her crash. It looked like someone had taken butcher's cleaver to it. Very nasty.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • josame said:

Not sure about the road race - I know there have been bans in the past (Cavendish win for e.g.) but they're allowed in the TT. Many TT riders opt not to use them, or at least not to get timings on them (so they focus on maximising their own effort, not on competitors - e.g. Wiggins in Copenhagen where he got silver)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

josame said:

Not sure about the road race - I know there have been bans in the past (Cavendish win for e.g.) but they're allowed in the TT. Many TT riders opt not to use them, or at least not to get timings on them (so they focus on maximising their own effort, not on competitors - e.g. Wiggins in Copenhagen where he got silver)

Rohan Dennis is the same. Only wants absolutely critical info about the course
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Is there a start time list for today?
  • Is there a start time list for today?

Take one hour off as these times must be CET.

2020 Elite men’s individual time trial start list and times: all riders

14-30.00 WAIS Ahmad (Syria)
    14-31.30 FILITÁS Viktor (Hungary)
    14-33.00 CATAFORD Alexander (Canada)
    14-34.30 GRUZDEV Dmitriy (Kazakhstan)
    14-36.00 STEPANOV Andrei (Russia)
    14-37.30 WALSCHEID Max (Germany)
    14-39.00 OTRUBA Jakub (Czech Republic)
    14-40.30 RITZINGER Felix (Austria)
    14-42.00 ROCHE Nicolas (Ireland)
    14-43.30 BODNAR Maciej (Poland)
    14-45.00 OLIVEIRA Ivo (Portugal)
    14-46.30 KARALIOK Yauheni (Belarus)
    14-48.00 MCNULTY Brandon (USA)
    14-49.30 FISHER-BLACK Finn (New Zealand)
    14-51.00 THOMAS Benjamin (France)
    14-52.30 VAN EMDEN Jos (Netherlands)
    14-54.00 AFFINI Edoardo (Italy)
    14-55.30 DURBRIDGE Luke (Australia)
    14-57.00 OYARZÚN Carlos (Chile)
    14-58.30 ILIĆ Ognjen (Serbia)
    15-00.00 GYUROV Spas (Bulgaria)
    15-01.30 ÓMARSSON Ingvar (Iceland)
    15-03.00 CASTILLO Ulises (Mexico)
    15-04.30 TZORTZAKIS Polychronis (Greece)
    15-06.00 ASADOV Elchin (Azerbaijan)
    15-07.30 ŠIŠKEVIČIUS Evaldas (Lithuania)
    15-09.00 PEÁK Barnabás (Hungary)
    15-10.30 BJERG Mikkel (Denmark)
    15-12.00 HOULE Hugo (Canada)
    15-13.30 KONONENKO Mykhaylo (Ukraine)
    15-15.00 KARPENKO Gleb (Estonia)
    15-16.30 FOMINYKH Daniil (Kazakhstan)
    15-18.00 CULLY Ján Andrej (Slovakia)
    15-19.30 RIKUNOV Petr (Russia)
    15-21.00 SÜTTERLIN Jasha (Germany)
    15-22.30 ČERNÝ Josef (Czech Republic)
    15-24.00 THOMAS Geraint (Great Britain)
    15-25.30 BRÄNDLE Matthias (Austria)
    15-27.00 MULLEN Ryan (Ireland)
    15-28.30 GRADEK Kamil (Poland)
    15-30.00 MARTÍNEZ Daniel (Colombia)
    15-31.30 LEKNESSUND Andreas (Norway)
    15-33.00 TRATNIK Jan (Slovenia)
    15-34.30 LUDVIGSSON Tobias (Sweden)
    15-36.00 BILBAO Pello (Spain)
    15-37.30 CAMPENAERTS Victor (Belgium)
    15-39.00 OLIVEIRA Nelson (Portugal)
    15-40.30 ASGREEN Kasper (Denmark)
    15-42.00 CRADDOCK Lawson (USA)
    15-43.30 BEVIN Patrick (New Zealand)
    15-45.00 DOWSETT Alex (Great Britain)
    15-46.30 CAVAGNA Rémi (France)
    15-48.00 VAN AERT Wout (Belgium)
    15-49.30 KÜNG Stefan (Switzerland)
    15-51.00 DUMOULIN Tom (Netherlands)
    15-52.30 GANNA Filippo (Italy)
    15-54.00 DENNIS Rohan (Australia)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    RichN95. said:

I just saw a picture of Chloe Dygaert's leg after her crash. It looked like someone had taken butcher's cleaver to it. Very nasty.

it such a weird wound - I'm not a doctor but I thought we had stuff in our bodies not black holes making it appear we are hollow
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95. said:

A bit like a shark bite I thought.

Overnight USA Cycling confirmed she had suffered a laceration to her left leg as a result of the crash.

Dygert was treated by medics at the scene of the crash and was taken to hospital in Bologna, where she underwent surgery.

She is expected to make a full recovery.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    RichN95. said:

josame said:

Rohan Dennis is the same. Only wants absolutely critical info about the course
    Yeah it seems to be used more like a rally driver co pilot, identifying key turns, rises etc.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

RichN95. said:

A bit like a shark bite I thought.

Overnight USA Cycling confirmed she had suffered a laceration to her left leg as a result of the crash.

Dygert was treated by medics at the scene of the crash and was taken to hospital in Bologna, where she underwent surgery.

She is expected to make a full recovery.
    Good news.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    RichN95. said:

I was going to warn peeps she'd tweeted the photo herself but by the time I got here it was clear it was too late... 😳
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Ooh. Just seen footage of Dygert's off. Xxxx that made me squirm. Not nice at all. Hope she does make a full recovery.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    josame said:

RichN95. said:

it such a weird wound - I'm not a doctor but I thought we had stuff in our bodies not black holes making it appear we are hollow
    Not if you are a cyborg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    josame said:

RichN95. said:

It's a whole lot worse if it looks white :o
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    First rider off in the TT. & Looks quite windy , Bending the trees.
  • Matti66 said:

First rider off in the TT. & Looks quite windy , Bending the trees.

Aren't they lucky, having to use disc wheels. ;)
  • RichN95.
    edited September 2020
    ddraver said:

RichN95. said:

I was going to warn peeps she'd tweeted the photo herself but by the time I got here it was clear it was too late... 😳

I was hoping to get a bite from people outraged at someone posting the photo on twitter. But that's not really this forum is it?
  • RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

RichN95. said:

I was hoping to get a bite from people outraged at someone posting the photo on twitter. But that's not really this forum is it?
    Have you set up a helpline just in case?
  • "Cycling is an outdoor sport" - great quote in context to complaining about roads becoming slippery when wet
  • Perfect wind for echelons
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Latest weather report / rain now falling .
  • Lots of drizzle coming down after only 1 rider over the finish line
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Anna vdB yesterday 2 mins faster than Wais today.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Angry looking clouds...