2020 UCI Road World Championships, Imola - Sept 24th - 27th *Spoilers*

Comments

• Dygert crash - Twitter reporting she's conscious at least.

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

Dygert ruining my PTP... Not having a lot of luck!

In fairness, nor is she.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Awful, awful photos on Twitter. Conscious and talking but an enormous gash above her left knee.
    Powered by Haribo. Zwift convert P.aul Laws [x]
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    FCE2007 said:

Awful, awful photos on Twitter. Conscious and talking but an enormous gash above her left knee.

Thank you for not posting the tweet. I have absolutely no desire to see that.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Not surprised she's got some sort of cut - armco barriers aren't designed to be especially human-friendly and she slid along it for a bit rather than going straight over so the chances of catching herself are higher.

Hopefully it's mostly superficial and she'll be back quickly.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited September 2020

Not surprised she's got some sort of cut - armco barriers aren't designed to be especially human-friendly and she slid along it for a bit rather than going straight over so the chances of catching herself are higher.

Hopefully it's mostly superficial and she'll be back quickly.

Unlikely, since she hardly races on the road aside from the WCs.
    Next September most probably.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    the wheel kept skipping. i think she locked upfront then shifted to the back brake once the first skip threw her way off line. still cant tell
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • the wheel kept skipping. i think she locked upfront then shifted to the back brake once the first skip threw her way off line. still cant tell

gotta love discs
    left the forum March 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729

the wheel kept skipping. i think she locked upfront then shifted to the back brake once the first skip threw her way off line. still cant tell

Looked like a speed wobble when she picked up some wind going round the corner to me, but I am no expert in this.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574

It's a very bland course.
    Hardly any technical aspect to it.
    Obviously the UCI's answer to the disparity between the men and women was to add a couple of kms to the women's event and shorten the men's course by 25kms.
    Be careful what we wish for I suppose.

My cross country league did this. The faster women wanted to run the same distance as the men whilst the slower ones wanted to keep the shorter distance. It got put to a vote and ended up with the men's race getting shortened slightly, the women's getting lengthened slightly so they are the same and no-one was particularly happy (other than a few slower men like me!).
  • the wheel kept skipping. i think she locked upfront then shifted to the back brake once the first skip threw her way off line. still cant tell

Looked like a speed wobble when she picked up some wind going round the corner to me, but I am no expert in this.
    There is no wind in Imola... it would be very rare.
    They said something about she was supposed to use a different bike, but then the UCI didn't allow. Maybe she never rode the bike before... hydro brakes can be tricky to master
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112

gotta love discs
    She was on rim brakes.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    edited September 2020

Chad Haga is suggesting that she had one hand on the base bars, one arm still in the aerobars so could only use the front brake, which caused the wobble.

• andyp said:

gotta love discs
    She was on rim brakes.
    WHere are they though... can't see any caliper (or disc)

• Front is under cover on fork and rear behind the chainset?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    i couldn't see where her hands were tbh looks like both were in the skis?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Bikers would call that crash a tankslapper. They always last a while and they’re fucking horrible. You think you’re on the verge of saving it but usually aren’t.

Her knee looks absolutely destroyed. Gutted for her. Gutted. She’s such a talent.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Horrible looking injury...thanks twitter

Only upside is that I can imagine that what WvA's leg looked like last year and he seems to have returned ok.

I was going to post this article about her this morning. It's a good read...
    https://www.redbull.com/us-en/theredbulletin/kate-courtney-and-chloe-dygert-american-muscle

less so now :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • According to Mathias Norsgsaard, the French team have really crappy skinsuits. So don't go putting money on Cavagna in the TT
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    *eyeroll*

I get why you want to encourage innovation at the top end, and no alternative is necessarily better, but when riders are not winning because their kit isn't 'fast' enough - me no like.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194

*eyeroll*

I get why you want to encourage innovation at the top end, and no alternative is necessarily better, but when riders are not winning because their kit isn't 'fast' enough - me no like.

Maybe you should be questioning why the French federation have partnered with an apparrel manufacturer who can't supply them with decent kit; these days any old punter can buy a skinsuit as faster or faster than any that are UCI approved.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

According to Mathias Norsgsaard, the French team have really crappy skinsuits. So don't go putting money on Cavagna in the TT

I don't think anyone was anyway
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    Jeez, there is some real Francophobia on Pro-Race.

• He's top 5 maybe, but you'd surely be surprised if at least a couple of the other 5 didn't beat him.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

*eyeroll*

That's inescapable in the TT game, where aerodynamics is king.

To be fair though most teams just buy whatever is the fastest and de-badge it (GCN had something about this with one of the Ineos TT bikes where they were using an Aerocoach disc wheel and a something else front wheel, despite having... Shimano?... wheel sponsors).

I thought below post from Dowsett was quite interesting:

here with a story. This pic was from a great stage 8 of the 2013 giro. I’m not going to sit here and say “back then it was better back then because of xy&z” I wanted to talk about how the TT game has changed. Then and now. For the record I enjoy now much more, it’s tougher to be competitive but I enjoy the process so much more.

I’d put money on a hunch that no current rider could win a top tier TT in 2020 with this setup, of course you could then, and many won races with worse setups and some teams even now have worse setups than this still, but to be competitive in 2020 this pictured wouldn’t cut the mustard. This bike was a pinarello graal with an 8cm handlebar stem flipped to point upwards, bolt on handlebars, cables everywhere. Very staple lycra overshoes with very standard socks hanging out the top because fashion. The helmet was a stab in the dark because Kiriyenka used the same, the skinsuit was simply the smallest I could fit into, not a trip, fancy fabric or intentionally placed/thickened seam in sight

Now everything is measureable and quantifiable, access to testing is much more abundant and data is accessible. The net result is speeds are much higher. Outside of the pro scene you can see this by the speeds of the domestic TT scene. This became highly apparent to me at a test run at the maldon 10 just recently. That course has been a testing ground over the years, refining pacing and technique mostly, gauging fitness and bike position by trial and error. I always take race kit, but that’s gone up a notch and I took all the top end race kit recently as a worlds practice run.

Every component being rigourously tested for speed in a tunnel or on track, my position being refined in the tunnel and being told what position to make comfortable and work instead of directing my position myself. An 18 round there eluded me for a long time until a warm still ‘float night’ last year. But last week, not ideal conditions, bit cold, taking zero risks in the turn, satisfactory but not mind blowing watts, 18.59 was a surprise. And shows how much the game has changed. And I love it.

Even to me, who knows hardly anything about it, he looks pretty amateur in that photo compared to today.
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, it's inevitable, but sad.

I get anglo fans f*cking love kit - the endless Boardman droning on about it and the chorus of "oh how fascinating", oh my god - but it's certainly not what I like in my bike racing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

Yeah, it's inevitable, but sad.

I get anglo fans f*cking love kit - the endless Boardman droning on about it and the chorus of "oh how fascinating", oh my god - but it's certainly not what I like in my bike racing.

Just think of TTs as an extension of the track. Not proper racing.
  • Exactly. It's a TT - it's all about the detail.
  • rick_chasey
    So for contrast, the fact that, say, someone like Campenaerts has used the opportunity of not being at the Tour to recce the route multiple times, whereas someone like WvA, who will obviously be coming out of the Tour with decent legs, hasn't been able to - is of more interest.