TDF 2020 - Stage 21: Mantes-la-Jolie - Paris Champs-Élysées 122 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    edited September 2020
    edit
  • RichN95. said:

Anyway, Slovenia. I remember it favourably as my debut in European Club tournaments - in this case European Cup Winners Cup division C (the baby at the front has just graduated university)

To answer your question: I'm far left on the back row

The shell suit jacket doesn't quite match the huge nike air-jordon basket ball boots you are sporting there.
  • Are the Gilet Jaunes out today?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    Anyone got timings?
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Joop Zoetmelk run over by a car in Paris why cycling his bike morning. He's in a serious but stable condition.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Interesting swastika roof on the church in Mantes la Jolie
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    It's more like a funeral than a celebration
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    davidof said:

Joop Zoetmelk run over by a car in Paris why cycling his bike morning. He's in a serious but stable condition.

God dam it !
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Anyone got timings?

Timings tend to go out of the window on the procession stage.
    Already have in fact.
    Stage should have been flagged off 10 minutes ago and they are still on the roll out.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I hope Roglic is being so chatty and nice to him to soften him up for an attack, otherwise the first half of this stage is going to be even more insufferable than usual.
  • Rob Hatch pretty incandescent with rage at the fact there was supposed to be a coming together of teams in solidarity with the BLM movement at the beginning of the stage. Majority of teams didn't want to take part in recording a video in advance of the stage. Pretty rubbish to be fair.
  • "It's wonderful to see Jumbo VIsma being so graceful here."

No it bloody isn't. I want sulks, toys out the pram, shattered champagne glasses. I want Sagan going halfway up the road with Bennett glued to his backside. I want a fist fight between Haller and Ewan over the coveted third step of the Lanterne Rouge. Act like it means something, people!

On the other hand absolutely sod all happening to Richie Porte is an utter delight. Why didn't he try having a fairly calm, uneventful tour before? It seems to suit him...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited September 2020

Rob Hatch pretty incandescent with rage at the fact there was supposed to be a coming together of teams in solidarity with the BLM movement at the beginning of the stage. Majority of teams didn't want to take part in recording a video in advance of the stage. Pretty rubbish to be fair.

I've been watching cycling on Eurosport since the mid 90s. I've never seen anyone in any role on their coverage that wasn't white. ITV/Channel 4 the same. It seems to me that the cycling media want a big anti-racist symbol so that they don't have to confront their own overwhelming whiteness.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Rob Hatch pretty incandescent with rage at the fact there was supposed to be a coming together of teams in solidarity with the BLM movement at the beginning of the stage. Majority of teams didn't want to take part in recording a video in advance of the stage. Pretty rubbish to be fair.

Meh.
    Vent at the inactive politicians, not a bunch of knackered cyclists.
    Coming from them it's all just cosmetic bullsh*t .
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Minus points to Pogacar for the full yellow kit. Very disappointing.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • On the other hand absolutely sod all happening to Richie Porte is an utter delight. Why didn't he try having a fairly calm, uneventful tour before? It seems to suit him...

There's still 116km to go...

Correlation is not causation.
  • Minus points to Pogacar for the full yellow kit. Very disappointing.

This. Just far too much.

• Anyone else alarmed that this is actually a scene from the worst cycling slash fic ever written?

• Excellent look back at the race there on ITV4. We're lucky to have Gary Imlach.
  • UAE finally come to the front of the race, first time in 3 weeks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    How amazing do the wheels on cobbles sound?

You don't normally hear that because of the crowds, but with no crowds... Love it.

Other that that it is a bit like watching the crowds at Tour of Oman
  • mididoctors
    Spooky
  • mididoctors
    alan_a said:

Excellent look back at the race there on ITV4. We're lucky to have Gary Imlach.

Best sports anchor on UK telly.

Massively underrated.
    Agree
  • Producer missed the intermediate sprint
  • Producer missed the intermediate sprint

So did Sagan though, so that's done and dusted.
  • Bennet took the points from the bunch, so that's the green wrapped up
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I'm sure he won't be too bothered, but it's a shame for Pogacar not to have the cheers of the crowds. Normally it must be incredible coming on to the Champs in yellow but without the noise it must be be a little flat.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    He doesn't know any different tho...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Theuns tastes the Paris pave.