Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657

Wouldnt be a bad shout.

The Mountain biking is the only functional part of IG at the moment, and to be fair it is very functional indeed...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525

Heads up for any MTB watchers, tomorrow's schedule drastically impacted due to an incoming storm - start times earlier, fewer laps

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,440

The u23 women's race was yesterday, no? Ella McLean-Howell took the silver between the Holmgren sisters.

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,525
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,862

Wowsas, that is some serious schedule re-juggling.

That's frustrating, I'll be out supporting my partner as she takes part in a local sprint triathlon thingy, I'll have to catch up in the evening I guess, as I was planning to ride in the afternoon if the weather holds.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,168

Tough on both women's categories, but as seen last year at Andorra, it is a high mountain sport, and bad weather can move in pretty quickly. I suppose they had no other option. Delaying to the next day isn't an option.

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • andyrac

The coverage of these Worlds has been less than good......

Poor camera placement, no coverage of the XC Relay, Junior XCO/ Downhill, U23 XCC........

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ddraver

t'was ever gonna be thus after Red Bull left. ES were never going to resource it properly 😑.

Likely to be true of all cycling coverage by the looks of it...

- @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited September 1

Puck takes the XCO, PFP and Evie "nowhere" - (PFP very much enjoying the send off. Not sure either are that bothered by the result)

Koretsky's bad last lap luck continues as Saffa* Alan Hatherly takes the win. Bit meh from Pidcock in third by his standards but a great ride by Charlie Aldrige...

(*annoyingly good weekend for Saffa sport again)

- @ddraver
  • andyrac

Pidcock not quite on it today; made a poor start, and I thought he looked slightly laboured on some of the climbs.....

But a well deserved win by Hatherly who is having a great season. First XCO World Cup win, and Olympic bronze, and now the Elite XCO World title.

It looks like Father Time is catching up with N1no........

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,090

PFP was on a jour sans but a bit upset at both the result and quitting MTB but the objective was the Olympics and she didn't want to take any risks before starting her new career on the road

Talking of which she will ride the Worlds Road Race, on a Dogma or a Cervelo?

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 503

I see Sir Jim was at Old Trafford today. Perhaps he’ll have second thoughts now and start pouring more money into the Grenadiers.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,924

Now has a proven record of buying teams on the wain.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I reckon he'll go and buy another sports franchise thinking the curse won't follow him (spoiler - it will).

Any NFL teams up for sale right now?

• I doubt he can afford that. He couldnt even afford MU. So he bought 25% and somehow got control of football operations.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,713

He seems to want to get value, completely misunderstanding the point of being a billionaire with sports teams as a frivolity.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,500

Rules are different when a) you earned the money and b) you’re not trying to convince the world you’re not that bad even if you run a despotic regime which is comfortable imprisoning, torturing and even murdering rivals or minorities

• They were giving away Gobik caps at the ToB yesterday though.

• roscoe

Cummings misses the ToB, working from home again.

Kurt Bogaerts at the ToB instead as a DS.

Bigham joins Red Bull Bora as Head of Engineering.

Luke Rowe and Leonardo Basso possibly going in a DS next year.

Do they actually have a plan or is it just a revolving door of staff?

• kingstongraham

Wouldn't it be more fun to win though? What's he saving up for?

• rick_chasey
    edited September 5

I'm not a particularly big fan of his but I think he genuinely believes he can put Utd on a better footing when he leaves - rather than just pumping it with money for a few years and buggering off.

I'd have him every time over some fucking gangster despot.

It's pretty shameful when Utd fans bitch and moan. That their local rivals are owned by a family of absolute shits should make them feel better, not worse (and yes dear reader, I have turned down work from the same family to my own cost, so I have literally put my own money where my mouth is here).

• pblakeney

Football fans don’t moan when they are winning, and are happy to turn a blind eye. Fans of teams that are losing however….

Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham

Premier League football is different, you have to have sportswash money to be able to throw it around there.

I don't think he's trying to make a fortune there, so I don't know what he's doing. Happy to watch and laugh though.

• rick_chasey
    edited September 5

Yeah. Last post i'll make on football as it's off topic but I think increasingly top flight fans, at least the ones I know, are getting quite disillusioned with the whole thing and I think they look at the lower leagues fairly enviously.

There's a real hardcore Chelsea fan in the office and he doesn't even know half the team. He can't get behind them, they've had so many coaches in god knows how long. He loves Palmer but he just feels disconnected with the whole thing. It's really about supporting, not winning, right?

I'm utd and my BIL is a die-hard season ticket holder and though the glory days at utd were great, for him nothing gets close to the 90s Utd because of that core of players who came through the youth system. Even Keane who obviously came in later; he was Utd. Neville, Scholes, Giggs - they were the core that never changed.

My mate is a season ticket holder at Cambridge United and tbh he looks like he's having a great time. No whining from him, just living the ups and downs of the season. If I were to start going to home games I'd choose a team from the lower leagues.

• pblakeney

Chelsea and ManU are good examples to cite as they are losing. Fan’s attitudes will change if they come good.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 5

I think the bit about the 90s United team may explain the current position the Ineos Grenadiers are in. I don't think Radcliffe is particularly interested hiring established galacticos and would rather get a load of young riders who can develop together. It's not quite working yet, but they just have find that one future superstar.

Twitter: @RichN95
  • roscoe

This is the way forward for Ineos. Exciting young riders, all developing together.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,103

Maybe they need to start looking at superstars in one day races rather than GTs. They’ve got a few that could hopefully become high quality Classics riders but the search is always for a GT winner and then all the other talent ends up in support roles.

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,567

Unfortunately for them there's a lot of other teams also looking for the next superstar and they haven't been able to attract them since Bernal. They need to find an alternative method of identifying that talent or cross their fingers really hard. I suppose the second version worked for JLAB with JV.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago