Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 515
    Perhaps this is what’s needed, new people at the top. Time for a change of leadership.

They really miss Nico Portal and Tim Kerrison.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,247
    r0bh said:

He's replacing Erik Ten Hag at Manchester United. Hammond as assistant.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,581
    Are they really so badly run or did they just not offer enough for a young Pogacar? No one saw Vingergaard coming.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,519
    gsk82 said:

Are they really so badly run or did they just not offer enough for a young Pogacar? No one saw Vingergaard coming.

They had Bernal at his very best when Pogacar was signing his first pro contract. He won the Tour in the latter's debut season.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. said:

r0bh said:

He's replacing Erik Ten Hag at Manchester United. Hammond as assistant.

I joke about this, but in reality Brailsford's focus will be Manchester United going forward, so maybe they have brought someone who wants to pick his own people rather than legacies.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    The latest cycling Podcast with TGH is worth a listen.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939
    Am I correct in thinking it is no longer called Watts Occurring?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    daniel_b said:

The one I mean is the Cycling Podcast with Daniel Friebe.

The Watts Occurring pod still exists with Geraint and Luke, but at the moment they are doing the other, more 'corporate' version with Tom Fordyce called the Geraint Thomas Cycling Club ... less laid back but has good guests on.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • daniel_b said:

The one I mean is the Cycling Podcast with Daniel Friebe.

The Watts Occurring pod still exists with Geraint and Luke, but at the moment they are doing the other, more 'corporate' version with Tom Fordyce called the Geraint Thomas Cycling Club ... less laid back but has good guests on.
    Just a general point, but I think Watts Occuring has vastly improved since joining Crowd Network (Fordyce producing)

You still get the laid back feeling and you get to know Luke and G, but it's a bit tighter than it used to be and is all the better for it
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    Tao Geoghegan Hart has told the Cycling Podcast that he didn't feel enough love from Ineos and that "if he didn't try something new he'd never leave". He's planning on challenging for overall at the TdF in 2024 with his new Lidl/Trek team.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680

The latest cycling Podcast with TGH is worth a listen.

This is, indeed, very good. Definitely worth a listen aside from any Ineos gossip
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939
    davidof said:

Tao Geoghegan Hart has told the Cycling Podcast that he didn't feel enough love from Ineos and that "if he didn't try something new he'd never leave". He's planning on challenging for overall at the TdF in 2024 with his new Lidl/Trek team.

That's a shame, but good he presumably took matters into his own hands and sought out a new home for his talents.

I think he could do well with the right backing and new motivation.

Like his high aims as well, not just trying for the Giro or Vuelta, but going for, what is likely to be, the hardest one to win, with going up against Ving, Pog and Rog.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423
    edited November 2023
    davidof said:

He did not say the first bit, Daniel Friebe has been on Twitter calling out people for mistranslating the Cycling Podcast interview

• ddraver
    (I was being polite, but I totally didn't get that vibe either.)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    r0bh said:

davidof said:

He did not say the first bit, Daniel Friebe has been on Twitter calling out people for mistranslating the Cycling Podcast interview

If he said the total opposite would that be he left because he did feel supported? That would be weird.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,472
    "despite" ?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,423
    Pross said:

r0bh said:

davidof said:

If he said the total opposite would that be he left because he did feel supported? That would be weird.
    Why not listen to the original podcast and make your own mind up, available from wherever you get your podcasts
  • Quite how anyone can listen to that podcast and conclude that Tao left because he felt unsupported is beyond me…

Thanks for that take: I was worried I'd have to listen to the whole thing again.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • ddraver
    (I was going to make a comment about how interesting I found his point about injury rehab being something he got on with rather than a great existential and spiritual journey and how it compared to my own experiences but...)
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    Well isn't that the case for all professional athletes? It's the influencers, who don't actually win at anything that have to ascribe extraordinary value to mundane things.
  • RichN95.
    edited November 2023
    I can absolutely emphasise with Tao as I've sort of been in a similar situation.

I've worked in a particular team for a few years. I really like the team. A+ annual review with all the bonuses available. But opportunities for progression are limited. While one of the two people who have the senior roles has long term health issues, I don't see one opening up anytime soon. When one does a colleague who I think is really impressive might jump ahead. A longer term team member has recently left to rival company.

So a new opportunity opened up. Similar skill sets, but a new expanding team. So I went for it and got it. The pay rise is minimal initially, there's a slight rise in status, but the path a higher level is more clear.

I haven't even changed desks, I get on brilliantly with more old manager (who admitted to considering promoting me just to keep me). It also turns out that my 'Tom Pidcock' is pregnant and will be on maternity leave until 2025.

I can see a lot of parallels - I can point them out if you wish

In summary, Tao liked his team, but saw better progression elsewhere (with people he knew, like me).
  • Lol. I have listened to the podcast and right before Tao says he needed to try something new he literally spends a few minutes talking about how supportive Ineos have been with the transition.

So someone has either shown their @rse, or deliberately trolling. Both one in the same in my opinion.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Are they betting the house on the return of the 100k TTT?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • m.r.m.
    edited November 2023
    Signing TT riders (that are as light as possible) is completely core to their DNA. They have always done that and that has always been the backbone of the Sky train.
  • davidof said:

He said neither of those things. I’d be very interested in your explanation as to how you deduced that from the podcast. You know, the actual words used.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,519

davidof said:

He said neither of those things. I’d be very interested in your explanation as to how you deduced that from the podcast. You know, the actual words used.
    A number of French, Italian and Spanish media outlets have been reporting this, based, as I understand it, on a mis-translation of the interview. Daniel Friebe has been very vocal about it on social media. As @davidof is French-based I believe, he probably read it somewhere in the French media.