Ineos Grenadiers

Comments

• stage_hunter
    stage_hunter Posts: 308

Not surprising. Last year I was cutting them some slack- I now increasingly think that they are badly run with some sub optimal management. I would be disappointed if Escape were making stuff up without briefings - presumably here from Pidcock's agent (McQuaid?)

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,192

Pidders is A1 in MTB and cyclocross but.... the big money is in the road cycling GT world. I just don't feel he is best suited for that environment.

• Webboo2
    Webboo2 Posts: 901

Pidcock appeared to be a team player in the Tour of Switzerland.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205

You do wonder about the editing in something like the Netflix series. IMO it looked like they made the bigest mountain they could out of the molehills that were there e.g. using "behind closed doors" footage where Pidcock was understandably p'd off after he'd had a bad day.

I still think GC at Grand Tours is a poor fit for Pidcock though, he doesn't have the consistency / time trialling / climbing ability to be up there with the best. Neither he or his team will be happy with the top 5 or top 10 results that are likely to be his ceiling in GTs. He does however have have a great racing brain and a useful finishing kick from a small bunch. Its like Ineos want him to be the new Froome or G, when in reality, he's the new Kwiatowski. You look at the palmeres of both and Pidcock seems to be following a similar "not many wins but the ones he has are big" trajectory.

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770

I did like that when most TDF riders avoid the Nat Champs for fear of incident/injury/travel , Pidcock does a weekend of hardcore MTB racing :D

They just need to accept him as a wildcard stage hunter and enjoy it.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    edited June 27

Re the Netflix thing, while Pidcock didn't come across as a team player it looked like that was the culmination of a fair amount of mismanagement previously, plus being in a shitty mood on the day after losing time. It didn't look like the management team had much faith in him riding GC from the off, which was something that they should have had out with him before any team selection.

If he was genuinely there to learn GC riding, he should have been cut loose to ride his own race and see how high he could climb back up. If he was there with an actual GC aim that was now unachievable there should have been an agreed plan B - support or stage hunting prior to the start.

At the very least there should have been a discussion with him where he could at least outline what he thought was the way forward before they just turned him into a domestique. There was little need to go in so early and so drastically while they still had a reasonable team to back Rodriguez up.

Ineos should have been far better at managing expectations and far better at being open and transparent. I don't think anybody is at their happiest when their management is making huge decisions about their work without their input.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 505

Interesting to see Steve Cummings won’t be at the TdF in person, lead DS is Dempster with Cummings available remotely. I seem to remember Cummings leaving Sky as he found the regimented culture too stifling.

in my opinion since Nico Portal passed, the management has been very ‘soft’ and lacking direction. Brailsford stepping down has also been felt. I don’t think those two have been replaced by anyone comparable.

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

In their latest pod I couldn't help but think that Thomas and Rowe were tiptoeing around a bit when they came to Pidders in their discussion of the Ineos Tour team

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868

Arensman has signed again until the end of 2027.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Also reports they are after Sam Watson

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235

Does anyone know what Daniel Benson is banging on about with regards to Steve Cummings?

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533

He got dropped from the Tour (physically at least, played some role from home) at very short notice, which everyone guessed was due to the Pidcock thing on Netflix. Hasn't been seen since. That's the long and short of it, could be literally anything behind it, including just taking a break.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • stage_hunter

They're a complete mess at the moment. I would expect some very significant management changes at the end of the year.

That head of performance guy Scott something needs to be gone at least. Recruiting the guy that oversaw the shambles of Bahrain Mclaren wasnt a great move either.

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445

Scott Drawer? Who only joined them last winter? He's a hugely respected coach and performance expert, who's had success elsewhere. I can't see how you can lay the blame for Ineos' under performance squarely at his feet, given he's had, what, nine months, in his role.

I don't think replicating football's tendency to sack managers after poor results is going to fix anything at Ineos. They need to build a new performance and winning culture and that takes time. Changing key roles after one season is a recipe for continued under performance.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

Any news of what Rowe is going to be doing next season? He feels like a natural to move into a management role in the team.

• stage_hunter

From 5 years at Millfield school? Before that wasnt doing a specific non performance role?

You are right on giving people a chance. But......and I know this is not always a great gauge so am happy to hear alternative opinions..he gave an interview during the Giro and it was very Partridge (aka awful)

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

"We want to develop top riders not buy them " = They're skint.

Every team Radcliffe touches blends into mediocrity.

"Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,770

Announcing something soon according to podcast. Currently moving back to Wales if that gives any clues?

I’d assumed Ineos DS.

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,133

What’s going to happen to United then? They were mediocre when he bought them!

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,951

I predicted a slump when he bought them. Time will tell.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,638

It gives me a clue that he's going to be earning less, so is content to pay his taxes back in the UK. 🤣

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world... but for Wales?

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659

PFP continues to be the best individual grenadier this season by winning a silver medal at the XCC world championships.

The main reason to post this though is to say that ONLY COS EVIE RICHARDS BLOODY WON IT!!!🎉🥰🥳

(Typical Evie with a meh Olympics but coming good for the WC...).

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,378

Saw the result and thought you might be a little happy!

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,868
    edited August 31

It was a great race, she came good from a fair way back - was fairly confident she would outgun PFP in the sprint IF she was there, and she was.

I'm banking on PFP excelling in the XCO on Sunday 😎

Not seen the course at all, wondering if she will dabble with the full susser for a change, she does seem to love the HT - almost certainly her last pro MTB ride for a long time, if not forever, though suspose she might be tempted to return once she finishes with the road, or she could go gravel of course.

Pidders did well to come back to 8th, believe he had an off early on, and with such a short full gas effort I suspect he simply used it as a training exercise from then on.

Aldridge did very well to take 2nd, and Koretzky clearly carrying his excellent from from the Olympics.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971

I watched the Veulta and then the men's xcc race which followed on immediately after on Eurosport but haven't seen Evie's race. Don't know if ES showed it or not? Anyone know if it's available anywhere?

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170

5th place was pretty good after missing 6-8 weeks with concussion. I said elsewhere, that the Olympics would be too soon for her, but the Worlds might go well.

And as mentioned on commentary, there are rumours about the Trek team......and possible big changes. I can't imagine Evie not on a Trek, but who knows? Maybe PFP's replacement???? Probably not.....

All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,971

Thanks... unfortunately, because a cheapskate I don't do "Discovery". However, I ended up finding a highlights on ES a bit back. Great riding by Evie and very pleased for her. I wasn't impressed by the quality of the video coverage though.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut