Grand Départ Covid Countdown: General Chat and Info thread.

Comments

• DeadCalm said:

m.r.m. said:

Looks like blood bags... :p:p:po:)

... to someone with poor eyesight, squinting hard, who has never seen a blood bag before and is determined to see a blood bag. Otherwise, no it does not.
    You wait until the tin foilers get to work..... ;)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    m.rt.m. said:

DeadCalm said:

m.r.m. said:

... to someone with poor eyesight, squinting hard, who has never seen a blood bag before and is determined to see a blood bag. Otherwise, no it does not.
    Unfortunately I'm guilty on the eyesight. Was just mindless fun. I know it's a tiresome subject. :#
    You put it on t'internet. So now it is a thing. The Clinic will be on it no doubt.
  • m.r.m. said:

I was going to write this too, but thickened out :)
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563

DeadCalm said:

m.r.m. said:

You wait until the tin foilers get to work..... ;)
    They'll have to Photoshop the bus to Ineos colours first.
  • m.r.m. said:

Chickened
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,779

m.r.m. said:

Chickened
    I preferred the first version.
    More cake?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

I think this will be a talking point in certain circles, should Jumbo do as expected and dominate the race! :D

2 weeks ago, Chief MD Peter Verstappen of TJV contacted us to find a solution to reduce saliva aerosol concentrations in the bus. In Staphorst, the Netherlands, headquarters of @PlasmaMade, 3 of my top researchers, myself, Tom Koenderman & CEO Martin Van der Sluis himself performed measurements. Images below.

Results show air purification can be very effective. Details communicated to the team. This does NOT replace 1.5 m distance & regular disinfection of hands & other surfaces.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/bert-blocken-56513911_windtunnel-cfd-corona-activity-6702254447596199936-hOEU
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Frankly it looks like something from the film Inception. Jumbo are all going to be hooked up and implanted into Rick Chasey's dreams of Dutch domination.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Frankly it looks like something from the film Inception. Jumbo are all going to be hooked up and implanted into Rick Chasey's dreams of Dutch domination.

More like the Matrix. Red pill/blue pill.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2020

I mean look at that. Proper tough guy cycling, tyre round the neck and a tab on tap, none of this science rubbish.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    You just want the short shorts! :p
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

I mean look at that. Proper tough guy cycling, tyre round the neck and a tab on tap, none of this science rubbish.

Science is for cheats
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pblakeney

And 2 Belge pots per rider. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    I know everyone is still talking about Froome and Thomas, I read the article by Phillipa York yesterday which called the team announcement a “logical surprise”. Sounds about right to me.

Anyway, I thought Adam Yates ignoring GC to target stage wins was another logical surprise. I wonder if that’s a one-off decision or if he/Mitchelton think that’s the way for him to go in Grand Tours from now on.
  • focuszing723
    That's a shame I would have like to have seen him in the GC mix. I like his punchy stage attacks though.
  • pblakeney

I know everyone is still talking about Froome and Thomas, I read the article by Phillipa York yesterday which called the team announcement a “logical surprise”. Sounds about right to me.

Anyway, I thought Adam Yates ignoring GC to target stage wins was another logical surprise. I wonder if that’s a one-off decision or if he/Mitchelton think that’s the way for him to go in Grand Tours from now on.

I thought that ended up being their strategy last year anyway.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • All the technical info for the race can be found on Inrng's annual TDF preview, which has appeared today.

https://inrng.com/2020/08/tour-de-france-2020-guide/#more-37513

All the points classifications and which stage is allocated what, bonus second, time cuts and calculation tables, prize money etc.

Confirmation that every stage will be shown live from start to finish.
    The daily finish time varies between 5.00pm-5.55pm CEST each day.
  • I know everyone is still talking about Froome and Thomas, I read the article by Phillipa York yesterday which called the team announcement a “logical surprise”. Sounds about right to me.

Ta for the heads-up. In her usual style she chucks out the tabloid bits and concentrates on the actual cycling. Also an interesting point about more crashses as people are desperate to impress and also still fresh, so more people actually there when the pressure is on.

Anyone know if she's joining the Ned and Dave show again this year?

(also, on the "thickening out" - I believe the German term for my current figure is Coronaspeck)

• 2 positive Covid tests amongst riders and staff and a team will be expelled from the race (according to Velonews).

Could be interesting if that happens to the leader's team with a few days to go.

Could end up with two pro-conti teams competing for the win
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The idea that the Tour would go ahead seems bonkers.
    I mean, I hope it does, but it's bonkers at the same time.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,712

I think this will be a talking point in certain circles, should Jumbo do as expected and dominate the race! :D

2 weeks ago, Chief MD Peter Verstappen of TJV contacted us to find a solution to reduce saliva aerosol concentrations in the bus. In Staphorst, the Netherlands, headquarters of @PlasmaMade, 3 of my top researchers, myself, Tom Koenderman & CEO Martin Van der Sluis himself performed measurements. Images below.

Results show air purification can be very effective. Details communicated to the team. This does NOT replace 1.5 m distance & regular disinfection of hands & other surfaces.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/bert-blocken-56513911_windtunnel-cfd-corona-activity-6702254447596199936-hOEU
    They've been into air purification for about 5 years or so.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    Looking at the stats I am worried about a second wave mid race ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,712
    edited August 2020
    Well Warbasse (AG2R) just tested positive for Corona....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2020

Well Warbasse (AG2R) just tested positive for Corona....

Is he even in Europe or at home in the Corona States of America?
    Europe I assume because he rode Lombardia.

He sure isn't in Ag2r's extensive tour squad:

AG2R LA MONDIALE

BARDET Romain France
    BIDARD François France
    CHEREL Mickaël France
    COSNEFROY Benoit France
    GALLOPIN Tony France
    GOUGEARD Alexis France
    LATOUR Pierre France
    NAESEN Oliver Belgium
    PARET-PEINTRE Aurélien France
    PETERS Nans France
    VENTURINI Clément France
    VUILLERMOZ Alexis France

Hope I didn't burst anybody's bubble. :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

2 positive Covid tests amongst riders and staff and a team will be expelled from the race (according to Velonews).

Could be interesting if that happens to the leader's team with a few days to go.

It's the middle of the third week, You're in yellow and looking good, you lost a masseur in the second week to Covid, a mechanic starts coughing. Do you test him?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format

• It's the middle of the third week, You're in yellow and looking good, you lost a masseur in the second week to Covid, a mechanic starts coughing. Do you test him?

...or:

It's the middle of the third week, you're in 2nd on GC and your mechanic starts coughing. Do you send him over to Jumbo-Visma to lick all their bidons?
  • pblakeney

It's the middle of the third week, You're in yellow and looking good, you lost a masseur in the second week to Covid, a mechanic starts coughing. Do you test him?

...or:

It's the middle of the third week, you're in 2nd on GC and your mechanic starts coughing. Do you send him over to Jumbo-Visma to lick all their bidons?
    Too late for that tactic to take effect.
    I know that you are only joking though. I think. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2020

2 positive Covid tests amongst riders and staff and a team will be expelled from the race (according to Velonews).

You don't have a choice.

Everyone in the Tour entourage will also be tested again on both rest days, September 7 and September 14.

It's all in here:

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour-de-france/teams-with-two-covid-19-cases-will-be-removed-from-tour-de-france/

Basically they are the same as the published 18 page UCI document but key points are:
    . Teams should manage, protect, monitor, and handle all their riders and staffers — limited to 30 per team — starting three days before the Tour and running through September 20.
    . To enter their respective “bubble,” all riders, staffers, and other personnel must pass two COVID-19 controls. Anyone testing positive will not be allowed to race or work on the Tour.
    . Any Tour-bound riders who test positive for COVID-19 as part of pre-race screenings can be replaced by a healthy rider until 10 a.m. on August 29.
    . Everyone in the Tour entourage will also be tested again on both rest days, September 7 and September 14.
    . Only individual riders or staffers, or — in the case of two or more infections — complete teams would be removed. The race will go on.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,563
    No wonder Jumbo have all that gear on their bus. If you have a contender in your team you really do need to be cautious to the point of paranoia.
  • Pross said:

No wonder Jumbo have all that gear on their bus. If you have a contender in your team you really do need to be cautious to the point of paranoia.

Apart from complying with the new regulations, it the infection control of a Tour bus going to be any different this year, considering that in the past that if they picked up any sort of bug they were likely to move out of contention, if not have to leave the race?

I seem to recall strong infection control on the Sky bus(and likely others) in the past, and this was one of the main reasons for bringing in their own chefs.