Grand Départ Covid Countdown: General Chat and Info thread.

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095

Col de la Loze - that's going to be interesting, especially if it's a bad weather day. Some seriously tough sections above the top of the village.
    Great off piste from there though, so long as there's enough snow and it hasn't been baked by the sun.

I rode up it last autumn, very nasty after Meribel

https://youtu.be/Zg0bGb9LEWc

Not sure I'd want to do off-piste on a road bike myself.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95. said:

However, as for no racing for Froome to get into better shape he has:

Coppi e Bartali, Tirreno-Adriatico, Tour de Luxembourg, BinckBank Tour and the Ardennes races to choose from.

The first two will be done by the Giro team. The rest don't have a mountain between them and, Ardennes aside, will be done by the classics squad. You can't build form with just a sprint up the Muur de Huy.
    I think you are looking at this decision with a bit too much pessimism just now.
    After all, Ineos aren't exactly stacked with climbing talent these days.
    They will work out a programme.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

You've still got Thomas to gun for the cobbled races, Rich.

Not all is lost ;)

Those races all clash with the Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Ahahaha oh dear.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

Froome will have to improve quite a lot from where he is now if he wants to compete for the overall.

Would not assume he's leader at all.

I'd expect the official line to be he is "a" leader although in Brailsford's plan you may well be right that he wont be the one they expect to be supporting in the final week.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited August 2020
    Ineos

Ho - Lee - - Sheeet!!!

Suddenly the Jumbo Trident looks a little less rigid now the big dog has left the playground..? ;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    I'd say the Ineos team is pretty strong, all three leaders capable of getting a podium but maybe on Bernal of winning.

Sure will be an interesting race, when was the last time a tour didn't have Froome or Thomas at least in it. Proper changing of the guard time at Ineos. Wonder if it has anything to do with another British team being rumoured and some talent leaving for that.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2020
    Reflecting upon this selection, now they can only ride with a single leader, no?
    Otherwise, I would say they have selected one rouleur too many and are light on climbing support.
    I suppose TGH has been a little sub par too.

Not sure how Carapaz feels about giving up his Giro title defence, to become co-chief water boy with Sivakov.

Maybe he will become the Vuelta winner of which Rich speaks.......
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Reflecting upon this selection, now they can only ride with a single leader, no?
    Otherwise, I would say they have selected one rouleur too many and are light on climbing support.

Not sure how Carapaz feels about giving up his Giro title defence, to become co-chief water boy with Sivakov.

They could easily end up with 7 riders at 5k to go but only 1 at 3k to go. A lot of similar riders in there
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    Looking at the Tour more generally, the GC two riders who can really contest a TT with Roglic and Dumoulin are gone (maybe Pogacar can), so their Dauphine tactics of shutting everything down until the the last 500m become a lot more viable.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Looking at the Tour more generally, the GC two riders who can really contest a TT with Roglic and Dumoulin are gone (maybe Pogacar can), so their Dauphine tactics of shutting everything down until the the last 500m become a lot more viable.

Like Thomas did?

I think Jumbo will struggle to be as dominant as Sky in their pomp but let's see.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

I think Jumbo will struggle to be as dominant as Sky in their pomp but let's see.

You remember 2018 differently to me. I don't remember groups of ten or more getting to the flamme rouge on MTFs
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

You remember 2018 differently to me. I don't remember groups of ten or more getting to the flamme rouge on MTFs
    More like groups of 6 riders, with half of them being from Sky.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited August 2020
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

I don't think it matters if there's 10 or 4. It's the same tactic
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

On an MTF, Thomas et whatever teammate he fancied would arrive at the final KM and Thomas would FLY off the front, I mean, ridiculous speed for the end of an MTF and stick in 20 seconds right there.

He'd then back it up with a decent TT. Bosh, Tour winner.

(obviously more complicated than that but that's where he made the race winning time).
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited August 2020
    gsk82 said:

They could easily end up with 7 riders at 5k to go but only 1 at 3k to go. A lot of similar riders in there
    Yeah Sivakov on the last day of the dauphine looked so naff (4th on an epic stage, having kissed asphalt earlier on) .. and as for Crapapaz jeez your pessimism is depressing :/
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • RichN95. said:

Well I'm surprised. Also I'm not sure what racing there is for Froome to find form before the Vuelta. That race will we won by someone who does the Tour. He'd have been better off at the Giro.

Do you think this is because there’s been less racing and therefore people won’t be completely cream crackered coming out if the tour which would normally dent a Vuelta bid?
  • RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

Is 2 a half of 6 these days?
    Bernal finished the race in 15th, almost half an hour down.

However it's true that half of that half a dozen of which you speak are all in Jumbo's tour line up, which I think proves the point Rich was making.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    edited August 2020
    "It's definitely a readjustment for me – moving the goalposts from the Tour de France to the Vuelta a España – but I think, given where I've come from through the last year, I've had an incredible recovery from the big crash I had last year, and I'm in a very fortunate position to be back racing now already.
    But I'm not confident that I can really fulfil the necessary job that would be needed from me at this year's Tour de France, and I think it's a lot more realistic targeting the Vuelta a España, and it gives me a chance to really get stuck in to something that's deliverable, really.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-im-not-confident-i-could-fulfil-the-necessary-job-at-tour-de-france/

"It's nice to finally have a firm plan in place and to know exactly what I'm doing and, yeah, try and get some sort of positive out of this year."
    said Thomas with a hint of despondency in a video released by Team Ineos.

• RichN95.

RichN95. said:

Well I'm surprised. Also I'm not sure what racing there is for Froome to find form before the Vuelta. That race will we won by someone who does the Tour. He'd have been better off at the Giro.

Do you think this is because there’s been less racing and therefore people won’t be completely cream crackered coming out if the tour which would normally dent a Vuelta bid?

Just the teams that will have to be picked as the Giro, Vuelta and Roubaix are all on the same day and the lack of suitable racing to rival having done the Tour (maybe not at full gas) as Vuelta prep.
  • kingstongraham

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Like Thomas did?

Is 2 a half of 6 these days?
    Bernal finished the race in 15th, almost half an hour down.

However it's true that half of that half a dozen of which you speak are all in Jumbo's tour line up, which I think proves the point Rich was making.
    I was remembering Bernal being there a bit longer than he actually was on the final climbs maybe.
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    He was always seemed to be nearby on the big climbs , if i remember correctly after doing his turn . Helped froome back on the stage roglic won. Any way sad to see Froome and Thomas out and as others have said , end of an era , maybe for British cycling too . First post after lurking on and off for years
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Barring any complications arising from his accident that we don't know about, I think there is a very good chance that Froome will win the Vuelta. Two months is sufficient time to get himself into decent shape. I'm not convinced that the lack of actual racing will be a major issue.

Likewise, I think Thomas is capable of doing really well in the Giro and even winning it. He has slightly less time to get himself fit but he looks to be starting from a better place.

I'd certainly not write either of them off.
  • kingstongraham
    Shame they've lost their two lead riders and have to settle for the current Tour and Giro champions.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901

"It's definitely a readjustment for me – moving the goalposts from the Tour de France to the Vuelta a España – but I think, given where I've come from through the last year, I've had an incredible recovery from the big crash I had last year, and I'm in a very fortunate position to be back racing now already.
    But I'm not confident that I can really fulfil the necessary job that would be needed from me at this year's Tour de France, and I think it's a lot more realistic targeting the Vuelta a España, and it gives me a chance to really get stuck in to something that's deliverable, really.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-im-not-confident-i-could-fulfil-the-necessary-job-at-tour-de-france/

"It's nice to finally have a firm plan in place and to know exactly what I'm doing and, yeah, try and get some sort of positive out of this year."
    said Thomas with a hint of despondency in a video released by Team Ineos.

He seemed a bit quiet about the idea at the start of the video, but eventually came round to the prospect of the Giro.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    He's not thrilled, is he.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    edited August 2020

He's not thrilled, is he.

Only one person to blame on that front and it ain’t DB

'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,771

Shame they've lost their two lead riders and have to settle for the current Tour and Giro champions.

:)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Matti66 said:

He was always seemed to be nearby on the big climbs , if i remember correctly after doing his turn . Helped froome back on the stage roglic won. Any way sad to see Froome and Thomas out and as others have said , end of an era , maybe for British cycling too . First post after lurking on and off for years

Welcome! Nice to have you with us! :)
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Matti66
    Matti66 Posts: 190
    Thanks MRM👍