Grand Départ Covid Countdown: General Chat and Info thread.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Col de la Loze - that's going to be interesting, especially if it's a bad weather day. Some seriously tough sections above the top of the village.
    Great off piste from there though, so long as there's enough snow and it hasn't been baked by the sun.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    The paint scheme on the Pinarellos looks quite nice. Anyone have any other pictures of the bikes?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • 50x11 said:

Unless If they can keep spectators under control, they will be lucky to see out the first week.

Based on what?
    Based upon rising infection rates, historical behaviour towards some riders, lackadaisical crowd control measures, rider dissatisfaction with uci and aso over safety. Any combination of these may play out.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    m.r.m. said:

The paint scheme on the Pinarellos looks quite nice. Anyone have any other pictures of the bikes?

it does doesn't it. They're the only one's I've seen, I imagine they'll upload some soon.

Would be nice to see them change their kit for next year. Even just the jersey in the Ineos red.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,194
    Ineos:

Andrey Amador
    Egan Bernal
    Richard Carapaz
    Jonathan Castroviejo
    Michal Kwiatkowski
    Luke Rowe
    Pavel Sivakov
    Dylan van Baarle

Thomas for Giro, Froome for Vuelta

https://www.teamineos.com/article/ineos-grenadiers-set-out-grand-tour-plans-for-2020
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited August 2020
    Bernal back in! 3 leaders! Carapaz, Bernal, Sivakov! No Froome or Thomas...
  • rick_chasey
    So much for Wiggins "Thomas will win the Tour" - he's about as good at this as I am.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Absolutely gutted they have been omitted from the tour line up as was looking forward to not just the battle on the road but seeing what was likely to end in some serious infighting off it.

Really gutted for Froomey as would have been a great story if he had performed a miracle to comeback from his injury and win.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,934
    Wow, that's a pretty massive decision from Ineos.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    I think they've taken this bluff far enough now.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Froome and Thomas were so far off the pace at the Dauphiné that I can’t see how they could have realistically expected to be competitive within 2 weeks.

Sky/Ineos/whatever they are called now have always been pretty clinical when it comes to picking their tour team so I’m not surprised they’ve left them out. Quite interested to see how Carapaz goes as it seems he’s been brought in from another program at short notice. Personally hoped Tao might get a ride but Amador probably suits the chosen leaders more.
  • rick_chasey
    Now I've got over the surprise, it does look a stronger team now than it did with Froome and Thomas in, based on what I've seen on the telly the past month.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Well I'm surprised. Also I'm not sure what racing there is for Froome to find form before the Vuelta. That race will we won by someone who does the Tour. He'd have been better off at the Giro.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95. said:

Well I'm surprised. Also I'm not sure what racing there is for Froome to find form before the Vuelta. That race will we won by someone who does the Tour. He'd have been better off at the Giro.

That’s an interesting point, he has the time to get fit but lack of racing opportunity then?

I’m not that surprised about Froome really. Thomas will be properly miffed I’d say. I’ve always wanted to see him win the giro though. From a viewing point and assuming they all go ahead I’m quite looking forward to all 3 now.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Depends on what suits the other riders who are staying at ineos, I would imagine.

I imagine generally the priority for Froome is *low*, especially for races they're less fussed about winning.
  • rick_chasey

I'm looking forward to the real battle of the Tour. Forget Jumbo v Ineos, it's Rick vs Rich x

Sorry TTHR....
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

RichN95. said:

Depends on what suits the other riders who are staying at ineos, I would imagine.

I imagine generally the priority for Froome is *low*, especially for races they're less fussed about winning.

I'd me more concerned about get some genuine use out of rider they paid nearly ten million to the last year. Given that both the Giro and Roubaix clash with the Vuelta, it'll be mostly the Tour team at the Vuelta with an alleged leader with no racing. Why not send him to a fairly soft Giro with a proper build up?

Also I wonder if a few British journalists are getting the call that they're not going to the Tour either. British interest is a little thin on the ground this year. Yates and Cavendish look in worse shape than Thomas and Froome
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    So Brailsford's different game plan this time?

If he means it I'm thinking maybe he realises they may not have the strongest rider in the race this time so Sivakov and Carapaz might be given a more aggressive role - playing 3 leaders as a strategy rather than all for one (or all for one plus another hanging around on gc as insurance) that has worked for them on the past.

Might even be that he had planned that as a way of fitting in Froome and Thomas but decided Carapaz and Sivakov are more likely to play that role and the form of the two previous winners at the Dauphine made the switch the obvious thing to do.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I'd me more concerned about get some genuine use out of rider they paid nearly ten million to the last year. Given that both the Giro and Roubaix clash with the Vuelta, it'll be mostly the Tour team at the Vuelta with an alleged leader with no racing. Why not send him to a fairly soft Giro with a proper build up?
    Don't want to give him a decent base going into next season? ;)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Re. the Vuelta - I've not looked at the parcours but is the assumption one of the Tour "leaders" will go into it as a second string leader so if Froome cracks (not looking impossible) they have an insurance policy.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Froome will have to improve quite a lot from where he is now if he wants to compete for the overall.

Would not assume he's leader at all.
  • RichN95. said:

I didn't think Froome would make it, but didn't think they'd drop the pair.
    The end on an era and I see it as Ineos raising the white flag in respect of winning the Tour.

However, as for no racing for Froome to get into better shape he has:

Coppi e Bartali, Tirreno-Adriatico, Tour de Luxembourg, BinckBank Tour and the Ardennes races to choose from.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Big call but on Dauphine form and what they’ll be seeing behind the scenes most likely the right one. Carapaz isn’t a bad backup of Bernal falters.

Going to be a very interesting race that’s for sure.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited August 2020

So Brailsford's different game plan this time?

If he means it I'm thinking maybe he realises they may not have the strongest rider in the race this time so Sivakov and Carapaz might be given a more aggressive role - playing 3 leaders as a strategy rather than all for one (or all for one plus another hanging around on gc as insurance) that has worked for them on the past.

Might even be that he had planned that as a way of fitting in Froome and Thomas but decided Carapaz and Sivakov are more likely to play that role and the form of the two previous winners at the Dauphine made the switch the obvious thing to do.

Ah ever the romantic. :wink:

Don't you think it's far more likely, they will be their usual train up the mountains with Kwiatkowski -> Castroviejo -> Amador -> Sivakov -> Carapaz -> Bernal?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95. said:

The end on an era and I see it as Ineos raising the white flag in respect of winning the Tour.

Coppi e Bartali, Tirreno-Adriatico, Tour de Luxembourg, BinckBank Tour and the Ardennes races to choose from.
    Seems like a decent selection there. Vuelta 9 weeks away
  • RichN95.
    Maybe the target market for the Grenadier is South America
  • RichN95. said:

He'll hang his mitts up until the spring. Asthma and all that, high risk category, surprised the ineos lawyers allowed him on the dolphin.
  • RichN95.
    edited August 2020

The first two will be done by the Giro team. The rest don't have a mountain between them and, Ardennes aside, will be done by the classics squad. You can't build form with just a sprint up the Muur de Huy.
  • rick_chasey
    You've still got Thomas to gun for the cobbled races, Rich.

Not all is lost ;)