The Directory of Complete Tools

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

He's still Paul McCartney though. That counts for a lot in my view. Free pass.

Frog chorus.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251

Frog chorus.
    Good kids song. Better than Wings
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    oxoman said:

Pinno, the Mac stuff is cheaper than snap on but just as good. Snap on,s problem is you either buy off the van or go mail order and they assume your a business. Luckily when I've brought stuff it's by dropping in on the local van at a garage down the road, even managed to get a discount as well.

@oxoman: 'Tis true. I'm quite happy with my Blue Point. It strikes the balance between cost and use.
    The Torx and Alen headed sockets in 1/4" and 3/8" drive are used so often and stay true. I bought a few 1/2" drive items second hand and despite this, they are spot on.
    They have survived the sizes outside of my impact driver socket set - not something I ever feel comfortable doing but...
    Mate who works at a tyre and exhaust place told me that if I break one, he'll replace it for me through his lifetime warranty with the dealer - who deals Mac and Blue Point off the same van! I haven't had to use this facility though.

My gripe is torque wrenches. (Right on topic though I think this thread went West):
    I have 3. I reckon that they are inaccurate at the extremes of the scale. For example, my big one, a Draper goes from 35nm to 165nm (IIRC) and I reckon that between 35 and 50nm and 140 to the max, it's off.
    I borrowed one for tightening torques on an engine rebuild between 12nm and 40nm. I found that the Draper was really over tightening at it's lower end.
    I then bought 2 more. 4nm to 25nm and 15nm to 52nm. So all bases are covered.
    I compared the two and yes (despite bearing calibration certificates) there was a difference at the upper TT's on 'TW1' and the lower TT's on 'TW2'.

There;'s no substitute for an angle TW* for a giggle, is there? :)

*Where applicable. B*stard things.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect

Frog chorus.
    No need for anything so offensive. Sesame Street already existed.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    oxoman said:

I always found temperature always had a big influence on torque repeatability.

Ah, interesting. Cooler temperatures reduce Torque (bigger tolerances) and warmer, increases torque?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Park Tool cable cutters
    Pro (as in subsidiary of Shimano) torque wrench
    Silca ratchet and torque kit
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstongraham

Frog chorus.
    If the criteria for new music is that it needs to be better than what already exists, a LOT of people since the Beatles are in trouble.
  • First.Aspect

Frog chorus.
    If the criteria for new music is that it needs to be better than what already exists, a LOT of people since the Beatles are in trouble.
    You are the only person in history to stand up for the frog chorus.
  • First.Aspect
    What was that one by Renee and Renato?
  • kingstongraham

Frog chorus.
    You are the only person in history to stand up for the frog chorus.
    There are many of us. We stand together.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Has anyone mentioned Paul McCartney yet?

I know its along the same lines, but he really is a tool.

Yep, he's one.

John Torode
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    If we are not being misogynist and giving women equal ops, can I nominate that whiny Scottish bint? No, not Wee Nippy, as she's a given, but Lorraine Kelly.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    mfin said:

Yep, he's one.

John Torode
    What's up with John Torode?
  • mfin
    shortfall said:

mfin said:

Yep, he's one.

John Torode
    What's up with John Torode?
    I don't know, apart from him being a complete tool :)
  • mfin

If we are not being misogynist and giving women equal ops, can I nominate that whiny Scottish bint? No, not Wee Nippy, as she's a given, but Lorraine Kelly.

Oh we can go for equal opportunities...

Sharon Osbourne.
  • mfin
    John Bentley (the old codger from the gadget show)
  • kingstongraham
    From the world of music, Jake Shears, Shovel and Pliers. And Timmy Mallett.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    I'm having the misfortune of listening to John Caudwell, founder of Phones 4U, on Breakfast at the moment. Jeez he loves himself and the sound of his own voice.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

I'm having the misfortune of listening to John Caudwell, founder of Phones 4U, on Breakfast at the moment. Jeez he loves himself and the sound of his own voice.

Agreed, at the height of his success, he was trying to become a bit of an Alan Sugar / Branson type celebrity businessman and there were a few tv documentaries around him. A lot of a tool but also truly free market oriented and saw competition as the driver of success in everything.
    I went for a supply chain analytical role at one of his businesses at the time and they even made supply chain internally competitive.
    Seemed a truly bizarre methodology and likely to cause no end of internal inefficiency and conflict but hey ho, I didn’t pursue the role and he has made a lot more money than me.
    I wasn’t surprised that Phones 4 U went bust in the way it did though. If a business ever values goodwill, it hasn’t been touched by him.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    morstar said:

Pross said:

Agreed, at the height of his success, he was trying to become a bit of an Alan Sugar / Branson type celebrity businessman and there were a few tv documentaries around him. A lot of a tool but also truly free market oriented and saw competition as the driver of success in everything.
    I went for a supply chain analytical role at one of his businesses at the time and they even made supply chain internally competitive.
    Seemed a truly bizarre methodology and likely to cause no end of internal inefficiency and conflict but hey ho, I didn’t pursue the role and he has made a lot more money than me.
    I wasn’t surprised that Phones 4 U went bust in the way it did though. If a business ever values goodwill, it hasn’t been touched by him.
    And yet his argument today was that the Government should stump up an additional £1 trillion to support businesses and that paying out an additional £20 billion a year to repay the cost is justified. It's weird how free market fans are keen to want support when it suits them.
  • Drew Peacock
  • shortfall
    Rudolph Hucker.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Pross said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

And yet his argument today was that the Government should stump up an additional £1 trillion to support businesses and that paying out an additional £20 billion a year to repay the cost is justified. It's weird how free market fans are keen to want support when it suits them.
    Now that surprises me but yes, the free market ideology definitely found some boundaries in 2020
  • morstar said:

Pross said:

morstar said:

Pross said:

Now that surprises me but yes, the free market ideology definitely found some boundaries in 2020
    I thought he had sold up and retired? if so he can hardly be accused of talking through his wallet.
  • mfin
    Pete Townshend
  • Bill Wyman and other speedos
  • shortfall

Bill Wyman and other speedos

Yeah funny how he seemed to come out of that relatively unscathed reputation wise..
  • ballysmate
    Add Jimmy Page and David Bowie to that list
  • ballysmate
    Dawn Butler
  • shortfall

Add Jimmy Page and David Bowie to that list

Indeed. Funny how certain rock gods get a free pass when it comes to (allegedly) sh@gging 13 year olds.