S*** small races - Post Lockdown 2020

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Tough finish
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Just holds on.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,558
    Bennett takes it... Jumbo on a roll... Ulissi second
  • The Yellow Peril strike again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    More domination from Jumbo
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    At least Ineos never dominated one day races.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,432

Good excuse to get a bottle of Barolo I reckon!

Amarone is better
    That's just like, your opinion, man

Also miles away from this race route.
    Wine is all about opinions and I was being facetious... I'm still right tho 😘

I'll have to go and find a nice bottle of Barolo, just to confirm. it's been a while
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Nah, barolo is right up my street.

I like a super tuscan better though. Very much (there's an Australian winemaker called Alpha Box and Dice who make a super tuscan clone and it's one of my favourites ever).

Amarone is good though, I like a lot of wood (that's what she said).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited August 2020
    If anybody still hasn't has enough cycling to watch, yesterday we also had the Belgian equivalent of the Strade Bianche. Of course we two bigger races on at the same time, it was pretty much forgotten.

However, full race coverage (2 hours) has turned up on Youtube, with English commentary. (Adam "The Man of a Thousand Shirts" Blythe co-commentator)

A handful of big name stars turned out and I won't spoil the result.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2alI_Z8oYtY?fs=1&start=
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

If anybody still hasn't has enough cycling to watch, yesterday we also had the Belgian equivalent of the Strade Bianche. Of course we two bigger races on at the same time, it was pretty much forgotten.

However, full race coverage (2 hours) has turned up on Youtube, with English commentary. (Adam "The Man of a Thousand Shirts" Blythe co-commentator)

A handful of big name stars turned out and I won't spoil the result.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2alI_Z8oYtY?fs=1&start=

I watched it.

Was decent but felt very budget.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    Giro dell'Emilia 2020

The Italian classics season continues with the Giro dell'Emilia tomorrow, on a similar course as in recent years:

The (provisional) start list doesn't look like it has in the past couple of seasons, when the race preceded Lombardia, but having said that, the weekend's winner and his 3rd placed team mate are taking part.
    Nibali & Ciccone, Carapaz and Ulissi being the other notables.

Now, as to live coverage. Up until this morning, it was only going to be available in Italy, via Rai and PMG Sport.

However, there are rumours this morning that it will be shown by Eurosport.
    So, watch this space........
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Tour of Wallonia St 2 - riders using pavements, ignoring bollards etc all over the place. Have sanctions for such things been binned?
  • Tour of Wallonia St 2 - riders using pavements, ignoring bollards etc all over the place. Have sanctions for such things been binned?

Exactly and then, when there's a nasty accident they complain about course safety.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020

Tour of Wallonia St 2 - riders using pavements, ignoring bollards etc all over the place. Have sanctions for such things been binned?

Exactly and then, when there's a nasty accident they complain about course safety.
    Aaaaand a few hours later.....

"Red card today for the organization of the Tour de Wallonie," his teammate Florian Sénéchal, who placed fifth on the stage, wrote on Twitter.

"Circuit much too dangerous for a sprint finish, road in bad condition, too many traps on the side of the road. Always reacted when there is a death or serious injury. making it safe for riders is not a priority?"

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riders-complain-about-dangerous-roads-at-tour-de-wallonie/

Potholes also seem to be a general issue atm, which may be down to road repairs being hit by Covid restrictions?
    Certainly true in respect of this race route and what happened to the women's race.
    Beggars can't be choosers 'n all.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    At one point there were cones set out to funnel the riders towards the centre of the road to avoid some road furniture. So what did about 20 riders do?
    Rode straight through the cones of course.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    Bennett takes the win in Wallonie in a reduced sprint ahead of Demare.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Everyone's favourite interviewee Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig wins her first big race - the Giro del'Emilia...

(no one seems to have bothered with the boys here...I confess I didnt)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    ddraver said:

Everyone's favourite interviewee Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig wins her first big race - the Giro del'Emilia...

(no one seems to have bothered with the boys here...I confess I didnt)

I did as Rai didn't block the race like it usually does.
    Good it was, too.
    Instead of waiting for the final climb, basically all favourites went on the move three laps out.
    Almeida attacked off the top of next ascent, bridged and looks odds on the winner until Vlasov dropped young DQS prospect, Bagiloi.

Full race coverage is here, but since it was only shown in Italy......

https://tiz-cycling.io/videos/giro-dell-emilia-2020-full-race-italian/
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I thought it was on GCN, that's why I thought it would have a bit more love. If not then that explains it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    Another member of the Deceuninck-QuickStep squad sidelined by injury after he crashed. Mattia Cattaneo cracked a vertebra which will require six-to-eight weeks of rest before he can ride again.

Also Androni Giocattoli-Sidermec's Simon Pellaud has been left nursing facial injuries and broken teeth after his disc brakes failed on a descent.
  • ddraver said:

I thought it was on GCN, that's why I thought it would have a bit more love. If not then that explains it...

Here's full coverage of the women's race:

https://tiz-cycling.io/videos/giro-dell-emilia-donne-2020-full-race-italian/?tape=2
  • Gaviria very impressive in Limousin today on a rolling course.
    Won from a very small selection.
  • DeadCalm
    My man Demare takes the final stage and GC in Wallonie.

Hatch suggests GCN will have coverage of some National Championship races.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Wout van Aert currently bossing the Belgian TT champs.
    Live here:

https://tiz-cycling-live.io/stream.php

Limousin stage 3 also live here.

• DeadCalm
    On the subject of national championships, GCN now have the French and Spanish races in their schedule. Rumour is that they will have coverage from Italy also.
    Team My Man 2022:

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    As does Eurosport
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Are the GB nats going ahead in any form?
  • DeadCalm
    Rémi Cavagna takes the French TT championships.
    Team My Man 2022:

• blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    Luca Wakermann just held off Rui Costa's late GC challenge in Limousin.
    The Portuguese gained 6 seconds bonus for finishing second on the final stage and was 5 seconds ahead of the reduced bunch. However he started the day 16 seconds behind.
    Young Brit, Jake Stewart riding for Groupama FDJ was just 5 seconds behind going into today, so it's taking some time to sort things out.
  • DeadCalm

Luca Wakermann just held off Rui Costa's late GC challenge in Limousin.
    The Portuguese gained 6 seconds bonus for finishing second on the final stage and was 5 seconds ahead of the reduced bunch. However he started the day 16 seconds behind.
    Young Brit, Jake Stewart riding for Groupama FDJ was just 5 seconds behind going into today, so it's taking some time to sort things out.

Stewart finished 2nd, 2 seconds behind Wacker Mann according to PCS.
    Team My Man 2022: