S*** small races - Post Lockdown 2020

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

Evenepoel holy moly

I feel like the new generation know how to train so much better than previous.

None of this racing into shape malarkey anymore.

If being in great form after a long break was a good indicator of peak season form, Richie Porte would have won six Grand Tours.

He may be the next dominant rider or he may be a Flemish Richie
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    edited July 2020
    maybe - but stage one when he had a 'dig' he was making time on the entire peleton, so a multitude of talents hints otherwise. also rated by Nibali is nice :)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    We both know Evenepoel is likely a little different....
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    He’s an absolute monster isn’t he. Still only 19?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    gweeds said:

20. But maybe he's just nearer to his ultimate level than others. Someone once said that there's no physiological reason why and 18 year couldn't win very big cycling races, they just lacked the experience and the miles in their legs. And everyone gets those at a different rate. And those that get them the fastest are often the sons of ex-pros - Evenepoel, van der Poel, Sivakov. In past Schleck, Phinney.

My guess is he'll peak at 23.

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95. said:

gweeds said:

20. But maybe he's just nearer to his ultimate level than others. Someone once said that there's no physiological reason why and 18 year couldn't win very big cycling races, they just lacked the experience and the miles in their legs. And everyone gets those at a different rate. And those that get them the fastest are often the sons of ex-pros - Evenepoel, van der Poel, Sivakov. In past Schleck, Phinney.

Possibly Bernal will have a similar career trajectory, looking at Colombians in general.

Pogačar then...
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

gweeds said:

Possibly Bernal will have a similar career trajectory, looking at Colombians in general.

Pogačar then...
    Pogacar is the one I expect to be the next multiple Tour winner, but even he has been under the guidance of Andrej Hauptman's Slovenian program since he was 11.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    I understand the need to refute Evenepoel’s “he’s the next Merckx” tag, but when he is already dropping some of the World’s best climbers on a long and brutal climb, when he’s clearly got more timber to shift... and that we can say with some confidence that in a TT he’ll put minutes into anyone who finished in the top 20 today in Burgos, I think it’s wholly justified to be excited and think we’re seeing a true phenomenon.
    Ullrich was a phenomenon: was he successful because he won a Tour and a Vuelta, amongst other things - or was he an underachiever, because the expectation was so high - and he only won a Tour and a Vuelta?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    gsk82 said:

josame said:

Nibali, Landa, Roglic, Yates - yep that's some 'weak' riders right there people - I have a shovel you can borrow but you seem to be doing fine

Roglic was far from his best, Landa was a teammate, Yates was miles off the pace, the fact you mentioned Nibali shows how weak it was.
    Roglic recently dispatched Pogacar with relative ease in the Slovenian National Championships. Couldn't have lost all form that easily.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020

I understand the need to refute Evenepoel’s “he’s the next Merckx” tag, but when he is already dropping some of the World’s best climbers on a long and brutal climb, when he’s clearly got more timber to shift... and that we can say with some confidence that in a TT he’ll put minutes into anyone who finished in the top 20 today in Burgos, I think it’s wholly justified to be excited and think we’re seeing a true phenomenon.

1. He dropped riders who are mostly looking to peak for the Giro mountains ten weeks away. He beat Jumbo's fifth choice GC rider by 18 seconds.

2. It was one 700m climb. As far as I can tell he's yet to do well in a stage with more than one major climb. Today seems to be the longest climb he's ridden in the front group on.

3. Pogacar had a GT podium & 3 stages before he turned 21.

He's only started two World Tour stage races (DNF & 76th) and some bookmakers have as favourite for the Giro*. People need to calm down.

*For example: https://sports.sportingbet.com/en/sports/events/giro-d-italia-2020-general-classification-10178007
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    Going back to my point about riders with pro fathers, I introduce the 1994 Collstrop team, featuring:

Adri van der Poel - Mathieu's dad
    Patrick Evenepoel - Remco's dad
    Jos van Aert - Wout's dad's cousin

(And also the bloke who runs Ineos's service course)
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    RichN95. said:

1. He dropped riders who are mostly looking to peak for the Giro mountains ten weeks away. He beat Jumbo's fifth choice GC rider by 18 seconds.

2. It was one 700m climb. As far as I can tell he's yet to do well in a stage with more than one major climb. Today seems to be the longest climb he's ridden in the front group on.

3. Pogacar had a GT podium & 3 stages before he turned 21.

He's only started two World Tour stage races (DNF & 76th) and some bookmakers have as favourite for the Giro*. People need to calm down.

*For example: https://sports.sportingbet.com/en/sports/events/giro-d-italia-2020-general-classification-10178007
    That’s ridiculous: ‘people need to calm down’? What - so you’re only allowed to get excited by a rider once they’ve achieved in accordance to their potential, rather than because their potential suggests limitless possibilities at the start of their career!? That’s what potential means.
    There are a whole bunch of riders/ ex-riders saying this kid is the real deal. I’ll go with that rather than some turgid stats.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020

That’s ridiculous: ‘people need to calm down’? What - so you’re only allowed to get excited by a rider once they’ve achieved in accordance to their potential, rather than because their potential suggests limitless possibilities at the start of their career!? That’s what potential means.
    There are a whole bunch of riders/ ex-riders saying this kid is the real deal. I’ll go with that rather than some turgid stats.

But when he doesn't reach the ridiculous highs that some people expect of him, he'll be labelled a failure. I've seen this all before in various sports.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Not many under 20s win San Sebastián.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

But when he doesn't reach the ridiculous highs that some people expect of him, he'll be labelled a failure. I've seen this all before in various sports.
    I think it's totally reasonable to be excited now but then unfair to label him a failure if he turns out just to be peaking young. If that counts?
  • blazing_saddles
    Meanwhile we have had another Burgos stage.
    Sam Bennett pulled his Tour of Turkey party trick and attacked as soon as they hit the foot of the final rise into the finishing town, just as there was a crash on the bend leading into it.
    Stole away and took the second Quick Step, "at a canter", win.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    It's there any coverage of burgos of occitaine for British viewers?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 said:

It's there any coverage of burgos of occitaine for British viewers?

Burgos has had live coverage everyday but only in Spanish or French.
    See other thread for the dismal news on Occitanie.
  • Evenepoel looking as if he's about to do an Annemiek van Vleuten impression...

Sosa still there with him and Landa.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    Sosa wins for Ineos, with Landa second and Evenepoel third.
    Although Remco seemed more interested in making sure his team mate finished in fourth.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Sosa wins by about 7 seconds from Landa, who was a couple more seconds ahead of Evenepoel
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Today's early live race coverage from a rather wet Spain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei6U7I_lTGM

It's the post Burgos one day race.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    Rick's favourite Groenewegen's just put Fabio Jacobsen into the barriers in the tour of Poland. Look's awful.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Really really awful crash. Looks worse each time they replay it.
    Hope they are all ok.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited August 2020
    andyp said:

Rick's favourite Groenewegen's just put Fabio Jacobsen into the barriers in the tour of Poland. Look's awful.

Been commenting upon it in the UCI calendar thread.

Shocking impact. Never seen barriers explode like that.
    Jakobsen like a rag doll.

Groenewegen can pack his bags and expect another long holiday.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited August 2020

andyp said:

Groenewegen can pack his bags and expect another long holiday.
    I think he deserves a ban. The footage from behind the sprint shows him looking over his shoulder as he moved over. He must have seen that jakobson was on his outside.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Groenewegen will have to hope the officials are the same as at Goodwood last week....otherwise that should be a lengthy 'holiday'.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,436
    That's likely the worst crash I've seen, once was enough and they kept repeating it. Hopefully everyone is OK
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Terrible. If you haven’t seen it yet, don’t watch it.

That's likely the worst crash I've seen, once was enough and they kept repeating it. Hopefully everyone is OK

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I hope he ends up banned until the end of the season (whatever that comprises).
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut