2021 Transfer rumours and facts

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Chris Froome hardly doing the best marketing job on his new ride

https://youtu.be/vRoXYeNueTk
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    ^ Shouldn't the marketeers do a little bit of guidance on what comes out t'audience? Pressed Stop on that early doors.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    "not sold on disc brakes yet"
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited February 2021
    gsk82 said:

I don't know. If a rider comes out with 'Frame, Brilliant. Wheels. Brilliant. Computer. Brilliant" like Paul Whitehouse on the Fast Show, surely nobody believes it. But a more honest assessment, which praises the key components (frame, groupset) is surely more convincing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

I don't know. If a rider comes out with 'Frame, Brilliant. Wheels. Brilliant. Computer. Brilliant" like Paul Whitehouse on the Fast Show, surely nobody believes it. But a more honest assessment, which praises the key components (frame, groupset) is surely more convincing.
    Agreed, comes across as far more genuine, and his actual opinion as opposed to what the maufacturer want him to say.
    I'd much rather that - plus he said the bars flexed a bit, but something they are working on sorting.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gsk82
    daniel_b said:

RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

Agreed, comes across as far more genuine, and his actual opinion as opposed to what the maufacturer want him to say.
    I'd much rather that - plus he said the bars flexed a bit, but something they are working on sorting.
    I completely agree. But I bet there was some wailing in the factor marketing department over it. There's even been someone in the cycling news comments claiming to be the owner of factor saying that they still make rim brake bikes but most people want discs.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    elbowloh said:

Interesting that I've seen that spun as him panning disc brakes - not quite the same thing as not being sold on them yet.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740

elbowloh said:

Interesting that I've seen that spun as him panning disc brakes - not quite the same thing as not being sold on them yet.
    Honestly if a journo could get enough pros to opine anonymously on what kit they like and what they don't like they would be the most-read journo of that year.

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Didn’t Adam Blyth sound off to cycling press about Factor bikes and their 1x 11 drive train. I can’t remember what the team was called I think it was owned by that Irish guy who didn’t pay their wages.
  • webboo said:

Didn’t Adam Blyth sound off to cycling press about Factor bikes and their 1x 11 drive train. I can’t remember what the team was called I think it was owned by that Irish guy who didn’t pay their wages.

Aqua Blue Sport and it was a 3T Strada, not a Factor.

I spoke with Conor Dunne and Larry Warbasse who were also in Aqua Blue Sport when they were doing a speaking gig about going on an adventure together when the team folded and they were also damning about the bike.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ahh my mistake.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,438
    think you can currently buy the bike/frame cheap on merlin
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    They kinda did disappear eh?

Little bit surprised to find the website still exists...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    Hirschi didn't want to leave DSM and was forced out as he was seen as a risk to the team's image according to reports in NL.

https://www.ad.nl/wielrennen/hirschi-weg-bij-dsm-vanwege-vertrouwensbreuk-teamleiding-zag-hem-als-risico~adfc867f/?referrer=https://t.co/
  • rick_chasey
    “Refused to answer certain questions”
  • “Refused to answer certain questions”

"Why won't you stay with us for your existing €40K a year contract Marc?".... doesn't need an answer I'd have thought..... ;-)
  • rick_chasey

"Why won't you stay with us for your existing €40K a year contract Marc?".... doesn't need an answer I'd have thought..... ;-)
    So the article says the opposite - that it wasn't about the money at all.
  • “Refused to answer certain questions”

OK - fair enough.
    Just a nice unintended consequence then....
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333

OK - fair enough.
    Just a nice unintended consequence then....
    The interesting bit is that it seems he didn't buy out his contract, but was released. If that's true then it doesn't sound like a money thing at all.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    "Will you work for Tiesj Benoot at Flanders if you're feeling good, Mark?"

"lol, nein"

"hmm..."
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    edited February 2021
    neonriver said:

Not sure if posted but EBH to direct energie

And Chris Lawless as well
    I just googled to see how Chris was doing - this is on Wikipedia, but I can see nothing else about it:

"After leaving Team Ineos in 2020 Christopher secured a lead mechanic role for French Pro Continental Team, Total Direct Énergie. Chris secured the job when they were impressed with his 16 second wheel change record."

Seems like a weird thing to joke about though, but I think that is what it must be.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.
    daniel_b said:

neonriver said:

Not sure if posted but EBH to direct energie

And Chris Lawless as well
    I just googled to see how Chris was doing - this is on Wikipedia, but I can see nothing else about it:

"After leaving Team Ineos in 2020 Christopher secured a lead mechanic role for French Pro Continental Team, Total Direct Énergie. Chris secured the job when they were impressed with his 16 second wheel change record."

Seems like a weird thing to joke about though, but I think that is what it must be.

It's a joke. He rode OHN yesterday
  • I posted in the OHN thread the other day, but does anyone know the background behind Sep Vanmarcke moving to ISN? Was it his choice or did EF not renew?
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021

I posted in the OHN thread the other day, but does anyone know the background behind Sep Vanmarcke moving to ISN? Was it his choice or did EF not renew?

Who knows? Better money maybe. Perhaps Michael Woods having an influence. The reason for a rider changing teams is almost always money.
  • rick_chasey

I posted in the OHN thread the other day, but does anyone know the background behind Sep Vanmarcke moving to ISN? Was it his choice or did EF not renew?

He's usually on Sporza Extra Time Koers at some point so will let you know what he says.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562

He's usually on Sporza Extra Time Koers at some point so will let you know what he says.
    My guess is more money - he's signed on a 3 year contract (like Woods). ISN needed a spring classics leader and they have some Belgian staff - DS Eric Van Lancker (who was with Garmin when Sep won Omloop in 2012) and Belgian national coach Rik Verbrugghe.
  • ddraver
    He never really fitted it with the "much cooler than thou" vibe of EF either...
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver said:

Yes he said in an interview in Belgium when they were doing all of that that he was happy to support them but was not interesting in riding any races that weren't straight up road races.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

ddraver said:

Yes he said in an interview in Belgium when they were doing all of that that he was happy to support them but was not interesting in riding any races that weren't straight up road races.
    How many of the EF team actually did though? Lachlan Morton, Alex Howes and ... ?
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

ddraver said:

Could you imagine him trying to keep it together in one of those races, can't control himself on tarmac.