Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
    Coffee tastes bad. The world has deluded itself.
    If you insist on drinking war rations, you only have yourself to blame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    edited June 2020

The Scots have an even worse brand of bore. Whisky bores. What's most offensive is the pseudo chemistry they spout to justify precisely how they think, in their unsolicited opinion, you should be drinking it.

Oh. My. God. They. Are. Dull.

Foreign whisky bores are much, much worse: Scots in general see whisky in a slightly schizoid way - on the one hand it's the greatest, most important and most serious drink on earth (so you're not entirely wrong) - but on the other, it's really all about persuading rich foreigners to cough up vast sums.
    I once made the mistake of telling a Scottish whisky fan (as in, the fan was Scottish) that, though I enjoyed a scotch, I have a real taste for bourbon.

The guy was *disgusted*. So much so, I had to wind him up a a bit.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
    If you insist on drinking war rations, you only have yourself to blame.
    I'm not proposing rationing the stuff. A complete ban should suffice.
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Any other grown up flavours you're not a fan of?
  • First.Aspect
    McDonald's or Burger King.

Occasionally it is possible to find one's self, during a long journey, in a dreadful town like Fort William with literally no other option.

It actually has no flavour whatsoever. This is why it is colour coded.

Yet people queue for the stuff. I just don't get it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

The Scots have an even worse brand of bore. Whisky bores. What's most offensive is the pseudo chemistry they spout to justify precisely how they think, in their unsolicited opinion, you should be drinking it.

Foreign whisky bores are much, much worse: Scots in general see whisky in a slightly schizoid way - on the one hand it's the greatest, most important and most serious drink on earth (so you're not entirely wrong) - but on the other, it's really all about persuading rich foreigners to cough up vast sums.
    I once made the mistake of telling a Scottish whisky fan (as in, the fan was Scottish) that, though I enjoyed a scotch, I have a real taste for bourbon.

Bourbon? That's just cheap, unmatured whisky that tastes of sugar, right?
  • TheBigBean

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Any other grown up flavours you're not a fan of?
    Olives. I could rant all day about the single rogue olive that is added to empanadas to make consuming them hazardous, but I will generously spare you.

Spirits. But I'm happy for other people to enjoy these as there are plenty of other options available e.g. beer. If you don't like coffee the drinks menu reduces in size quite rapidly.

• First.Aspect

I you had mentioned something about ageing in barrels made from Santa Fe railroad sleepers and the temperature dependence of quinone equilibrium constants, he'd have loved the bourbon.
  • rick_chasey

Cheap? Cheap?!?! If bloody only. By the time it gets here, cheap it ain't.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Kind of fits in neatly with the thread title...

If I was fussed about what people thought of my appalling behaviour then I wouldn't have posted it :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Add milk and maybe some sugar and it's OK.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • TheBigBean
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

You can add a whole cake and top it with cream, and it still tastes bad.
  • First.Aspect

Mmm. Perhaps they should re-brand it as "rye whisky" and sell it for 4 times as much.

Or better still just whack a Japanese label on it.

Yet another think that gets right on my tits about whisky bores is the fallacy that they can taste the different water it is made from.

It tastes and smells peaty and smokey because the people at Diageo added peat and smoke to it to make it emetic.

This has nothing to do with wild heather covered hillsides, the minerals that make up the ancient mountains of Scotland or the wistful sounds of bagpipes.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

my missus doesn't like coffee and won't eat coffee cake, I mention that as her solution to wanting a hot drink that does not taste of coffee is a Starbucks cappuccino
  • rick_chasey

Mmm. Perhaps they should re-brand it as "rye whisky" and sell it for 4 times as much.

Yet another think that gets right on my tits about whisky bores is the fallacy that they can taste the different water it is made from.

It tastes and smells peaty and smokey because the people at Diageo added peat and smoke to it to make it emetic.

This has nothing to do with wild heather covered hillsides, the minerals that make up the ancient mountains of Scotland or the wistful sounds of bagpipes.
    *bore alert* rye whisky ain't the same as bourbon (different rye vs corn levels).
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

You clearly actively dislike the stuff whereas I'm really not that fussed.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    People being fussed about things they are not fussed about. ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    Once upon a time it was cold and I was hitchhiking. After what seemed like ages a car eventually pulled over, wound down the window and the driver said "You look like you could do with one of these", handed me a coffee and drove off.

A kind act of generosity that left me with litter I couldn't throw away and a reminder that the rest of the world just has no taste.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I do like my coffee (got a machine sat on the kitchen worktop), but I don't get into the details of weighing, timing and ratios. The machine pulls a nice shot of coffee regardless of fine details... for my taste anyway.

I have enough hobbies - I don't need my breakfast drink to become another one.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

As does alcohol. I don't think anyone ever thought their first coffee or pint of lager tasted amazing. Much is done to actually disguise the taste (especially with alcohol)
  • rick_chasey
    nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

As does alcohol. I don't think anyone ever thought their first coffee or pint of lager tasted amazing. Much is done to actually disguise the taste (especially with alcohol)
    Ahaha you softie.

Booze changes the flavour make up of drinks to highlight different flavours over others. It acts like a solvent for smells and flavours.
  • First.Aspect

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Booze changes the flavour make up of drinks to highlight different flavours over others. It acts like a solvent for smells and flavours.
    *bore alert*
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2020
    Fair.

We can't all have infantile taste, however.

• Stevo_666

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Do you like whisky? (refer to the posts above)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815

*bore alert* rye whisky ain't the same as bourbon (different rye vs corn levels).
    I could only ever get on with Wild Turkey, though JB smelled of boiled cabbage, so as a result, know next to nowt about there being a difference, but are some companies involved in making both bourbon and rye?

Knob Creek Rye sounds like it should be the drink of choice around here.

I'm a traditionalist even if that means being a single malt snob.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Ja.

Aren't many spirits I don't like.
  • rick_chasey

I could only ever get on with Wild Turkey, though JB smelled of boiled cabbage, so as a result, know next to nowt about there being a difference, but are some companies involved in making both bourbon and rye?

Knob Creek Rye sounds like it should be the drink of choice around here.

I'm a traditionalist even if that means being a single malt snob.
    Wild turkey is pretty spicy (i.e. rye heavy) so if you like that I'd go down the Rittenhouse and all the various rye whiskeys.

Almost all the big brands, Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, Woodford, 4 roses, all do their own rye versions too.

Some rye versions are better than others, but a quick google brings it up.

TBH, it's competitive enough that as soon as you're at the £30+ mark they're not gonna be bad, they're just gonna be different.
  • First.Aspect
    Muck-off is something that people seem to get quite enthusiastic about, because it is saving the planet. Despite coming in a plastic bottle and needing to use about 10 times as much as almost anything else that claims to be a surfactant.

I would wager that single malt would be a more effective and cheaper way to degrease a chain.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    As above, never really seen the appeal of bourbon which just tastes like bland whiskey with sugar in it to me. Rye I've found to be the opposite, quite harsh but still lacking in flavour. Of all the Scotch I've tried Talisker 10 year old takes some beating but I'm partial to a Speyside and the 17 quid stuff at Aldi is right up there for me. Back to the thread, I read the tasting notes on Masters of Malt and I wonder what the f.uck theyre on. "Liquorice, a pinch of salt and some seaweed give way to cardamom and black pepper". Er, ok if you say so.......
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Ja.

Aren't many spirits I don't like.
    What about that weird stuff the Norwegians drink, made of musk ox urine?*

(*Not completely sure what it is made of, but ours is never getting drunk).