Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    That reminds me.

Star wars.

Have tried long and hard to understand what the attraction is, and I think I get it, but it is certainly something I give no poos about.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803

That reminds me.

Star wars.

Have tried long and hard to understand what the attraction is, and I think I get it, but it is certainly something I give no poos about.

Growing up in the 70s I loved the original trilogy and it was way ahead of its time visually but I struggled and eventually gave up when it was brought back.

However, to touch on the comments about the badge of honour I would add those who boast of having never watched Star Wars or a Bond film or any other massively popular film series. It seems odd as, without having watch them, how could they know if it is a good thing to have never seen them?
  • rick_chasey
    Ugh I have sat through multiple tedious showings of star wars as a lot of my friends growing up absolutely loved it.

So i'd turn up, and they'd all be giddy and would say the lines at the same time and cheer and god it was so cringeworthy.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,680

Ugh I have sat through multiple tedious showings of star wars as a lot of my friends growing up absolutely loved it.

So i'd turn up, and they'd all be giddy and would say the lines at the same time and cheer and god it was so cringeworthy.

Sounds like you need to stick to the Rocky Horror show, RC.
  • Pross

Yep, I hate people quoting a film when you're watching it. I also don't understand people who watch films over and over again. There are plenty I've happily re-watched several times but I need long enough to forget large elements before I watch again. I hear people say they watch a particular film most weeks and it just sounds like they're a bit sad or very stuck in their ways.

I'm always a bit dubious of people over about 30 who say they've never seen a James Bond film as it used to be virtually impossible to avoid them over Bank Holidays or holiday periods back in the days of terrestrial-only TV.
  • First.Aspect
    Horses.

I just don't see the appeal, but there is a whole community who get excited about riding on B-roads more slowly than travelling by space hopper, and take joy in being financially bankrupted and time poor in order to be able to do so.

• joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Pross said:

I'm always a bit dubious of people over about 30 who say they've never seen a James Bond film as it used to be virtually impossible to avoid them over Bank Holidays or holiday periods back in the days of terrestrial-only TV.
    Oh that's easy if you grew up without a TV in your house.

• First.Aspect
    joe2019 said:

Pross said:

I'm extremely dubious about people who grow up without a TV in the house. A sure sign of too much God-bothering, or worse still parents who are teachers.
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

I'm extremely dubious about people who grow up without a TV in the house. A sure sign of too much God-bothering, or worse still parents who are teachers.

or musicians

• nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Jeremy.89 said:

The cost of the license fee.

Relatively small to fund an organisation that has the capability to project soft British power across the globe.

Or do you want Russia Today to be the only game in town?

In that case, it should be funded from general taxation.
  • joe2019

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Most people who have ever been born grew up without a TV in their house
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,880
    joe2019 said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Most people who have ever been born grew up without a TV in their house
    They did and most fell into F.A's first category.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

People who get over excited about not having seen certain TV shows and movies, like it is a badge of honour of some sort.

I have never watched soaps or reality TV shows, the stars or which then go on to appear in other shows and media as "celebs". I do not see it as virtuous that I have no idea who these people are but it does amuse some friends and colleagues.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Pross said:

Yep, I hate people quoting a film when you're watching it. I also don't understand people who watch films over and over again. There are plenty I've happily re-watched several times but I need long enough to forget large elements before I watch again. I hear people say they watch a particular film most weeks and it just sounds like they're a bit sad or very stuck in their ways.

Many years ago, someone asked me if I watch Pulp Fiction. I replied to say that I had seen it, but he clarified that he wanted to know if I watch it on a regular basis. I was really baffled by that.

• Pross

Pross said:

Many years ago, someone asked me if I watch Pulp Fiction. I replied to say that I had seen it, but he clarified that he wanted to know if I watch it on a regular basis. I was really baffled by that.

That's actually one of my favourite films but I've only watched it maybe 4 times over the 25 years or so since it first came out. I could probably quote much of the dialogue but find people that do that sort of thing (Monty Python nerds being the most obvious example) a bit tedious.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

You can't change history. You can learn from it.
    History is over and done.
    Only the pinkos and politically correct brigade try to rewrite history to suit their own prejudices.

"You can't change history. You can learn from it." You can't change history. NO ONE EVER LEARNS FROM IT. There, fixed that for ya.
  • rick_chasey
    nickice said:

Jeremy.89 said:

The cost of the license fee.

Relatively small to fund an organisation that has the capability to project soft British power across the globe.

Or do you want Russia Today to be the only game in town?

In that case, it should be funded from general taxation.
    It basically is.

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Professional wrestling
    Triathlons
    Politics'
    Craft beers
    Tesla cars
    Green anything
    Football (of any kind)
    Time trial bikes
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783

Horses.

I just don't see the appeal, but there is a whole community who get excited about riding on B-roads more slowly than travelling by space hopper, and take joy in being financially bankrupted and time poor in order to be able to do so.

I mostly agree, however, having seen people riding them at full gallop on Camber Sands, that did look quite fun and you'd be doing well to match that on a space hopper.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Jazz
    Any Reality TV show
    Rugby (both codes)
    Football (it's not that important)
    Boats (especially Jet Skis)
    Period Drama
    TikTok and other Social Media bolas.
    Coffee aficionados
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I'm with you on football and coffee "experts". There used to be one on here who pretended to be offended by people who took milk in theirs but I'm sure it was just an affectation.
  • Pross
    mr_goo said:

Jazz
    Any Reality TV show
    Rugby (both codes)
    Period Drama
    Coffee aficionados

You seemed more keen on it a few years ago when you started the thread about the Championship and Bournemouth were on their way to the Premiership. What's changed your mind? ;)

As for coffee, I love coffee. I have recently got an espresso machine and grinder and love making it fresh but I agree that it bizarrely attracts some real bores and the whole 'you shouldn't put milk in it, if you asked an Italian for a Latte they wouldn't have a clue what you meant' crowd are tedious. I find putting flavoured syrups in coffee very odd though, it's like the person wants to be seen drinking coffee but doesn't actually like the taste of it.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,732
    Pross said:

mr_goo said:

Jazz
    Any Reality TV show
    Rugby (both codes)
    Period Drama
    Coffee aficionados

You seemed more keen on it a few years ago when you started the thread about the Championship and Bournemouth were on their way to the Premiership. What's changed your mind? ;)

As for coffee, I love coffee. I have recently got an espresso machine and grinder and love making it fresh but I agree that it bizarrely attracts some real bores and the whole 'you shouldn't put milk in it, if you asked an Italian for a Latte they wouldn't have a clue what you meant' crowd are tedious. I find putting flavoured syrups in coffee very odd though, it's like the person wants to be seen drinking coffee but doesn't actually like the taste of it.

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. I thought milk was what you put in coffee to make it drinkable? (that includes the allegedly good stuff).
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
  • First.Aspect

Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
    There's a difference between being an "aficionado" (i.e. a boring tit) and liking coffee.

If you drink instant, you clearly don't like coffee.
  • First.Aspect
    The Scots have an even worse brand of bore. Whisky bores. What's most offensive is the pseudo chemistry they spout to justify precisely how they think, in their unsolicited opinion, you should be drinking it.

Oh. My. God. They. Are. Dull.

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

The Scots have an even worse brand of bore. Whisky bores. What's most offensive is the pseudo chemistry they spout to justify precisely how they think, in their unsolicited opinion, you should be drinking it.

Foreign whisky bores are much, much worse: Scots in general see whisky in a slightly schizoid way - on the one hand it's the greatest, most important and most serious drink on earth (so you're not entirely wrong) - but on the other, it's really all about persuading rich foreigners to cough up vast sums.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Coffee tastes bad. The world has deluded itself.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    Other opinions are available.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect

Foreign whisky bores are much, much worse: Scots in general see whisky in a slightly schizoid way - on the one hand it's the greatest, most important and most serious drink on earth (so you're not entirely wrong) - but on the other, it's really all about persuading rich foreigners to cough up vast sums.
    I've even had the misfortune of dining at the Scots Whisky Society. If ever there was a great accompaniment to a meal, whisky isn't it.